Nuke

PTR vs DDG Serum

Hi All! 

I'm rehauling my skincare routine and am trying to choose between:

PETER THOMAS ROTH Retinol Fusion PM 

http://www.sephora.com/retinol-fusion-pm-P251529?skuId=1224781

and

DR. DENNIS GROSS SKINCARE Ferulic Acid + Retinol Brightening Solution

http://www.sephora.com/ferulic-acid-retinol-brightening-solution-P375269?skuId=1450881

From my research I believe they are comparable products - please correct me if I'm wrong!

Please let me know about your thoughts/experience on trying one or both of these. I'm 22 years old and my main skin concerns are acne and anti-aging protection - my goal is to have skin so radiant I wouldn't want to cover it up with foundation :smileyvery-happy: 

linda711

Re: PTR vs DDG Serum

(0) Hearts

Good morning, and good question:smileyhappy:.  I should have mentioned that I have combination skin.  It is recommended on the packaging to follow up with the PTR AM fusion with sunscreen.  I asked one of the associates in store if it was okay to use one of my current products, and she agreed that the Philosophy brand moisturizer would be compatible. I hated to buy yet another mstzr  when I have 3 perfectly good ones sitting on my vanity.  Just don't forget the sunscreen!

linda711

(0) Hearts

I haven't tried the DDG product, but I started using PTR's Retinol Fusion PM about a month ago and I love it.  A little goes a very long way, as it is dispensed by a dropper and has a consistency like water.  I use a very lightweight moisturizer (like Hope in a jar) since the PTR  has a dry oil feel to it, and I wake up with supersoft glowing skin.  Hope this helps.

Nuke

(0) Hearts

Thanks, Linda! Is your skin oily? My concern also is what products to use with the serum that would help keep my skin moisturized without affecting the potency of the serum.

lucyshnoosy

(0) Hearts

Ok, I'm an idiot.  I read the title of your post too quickly, and I thought "Dog serum?  What the heck is DOG serum?!?"

LOL.  I had to look again.

laurabt

(0) Hearts

Hi Nuke,

Those are both great products! You can't go wrong with either. You can always get a sample of each at the store to try and see which one you like best.  :smileyhappy: -Laura

Cyll

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

DDG has more benefits. It contains an AHA (glycolic acid) a BHA (salicylic acid) as well as retinol. It also has hylarounic acid which is great for collagen repair and plumping the skin (gives it lots of moisture) BHA is good for acne.

The PTR product contains just retinol (which is really good for ageing skin)

Go with the DDG.

Nuke

(0) Hearts

Thanks for all your input, Cyll! Have you tried the DDG?

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

PTR doesn't contain just retinol, it also has vitamins C and E & Squalane. Also the PTR has 1.5%  retinol, DDG is unknown. I like both, but repurchase the PTR more. I like the texture, and application better. 

Cyll

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Tocopherol is added to pretty much all skincare products that are trying to be more "natural" as a preservative to keep the products shelf life last longer. The PTR doesn't even list the tocopherol that is added to the product. There are 4 tocopherols that have NO vitamin activity. The fact that PTR doesn't list the quality of tocopherol is suspicious.

Ascorbyl palmitate is a form of vitamin c that increases the shelf life better than asorbic acid. If you read up on vitamin c you will understand this vitamin is instable when exposed to air and light. It tends to go rancid fast. Vitamin c can be formulated many different ways for skin application. The bad news is that many of these forms aren't able to penetrate beyond the most superficial layers of the skin, which makes them essentially useless. While there are some manufacturers that claim to have altered formulations to target specific areas of the skin, no one has actually compared absorption rates and depths in human subjects. Vitamin c is best received in the body as asorbic acid (which the body makes) threw foods and supplements as last resort.

Don't even get me started on squalane. Again, it fails to list the squalane source. Plant based squalane in the form of olive oil is considerably more expensive than squalane from animal source which is shark liver oil.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I'm assuming the squalane in the retinol is the same as this one http://www.sephora.com/oilless-oil-100-percent-purified-squalane-P381032?skuId=1538933 :smileywink: 

But what is the percentage of retinol in the DDG? I love DDG products, use the A/B pads weekly. Have tried the retinol, but prefer the PTR. I saw result quicker, didn't dry me out as much, and is smooths on easier, and sinks in quicker. 

Cyll

(0) Hearts

I checked that link out. Again the PTR doesn't list the squalane source. Squalane source is important, it goes beyond being a "cruelty-free product". If you are interested in nutrition, as I see you are, you will learn in school as did I, that liver (consuming and using in products) is toxic. Maybe you've heard about cod liver oil that people supplement with as a EFA source but backfires on our own livers. If the squalane is shark liver oil it is a toxic form. Skin absorbs anything you put on it fast.

As for the retinol percentage, once again, companies by law do not have to disclose the percentage. The best way to know is to ask. The good thing is there is less to ask with the DDR product. With the PTR product, as a consumer, I want to know what form of vitamin c, e and squalane is in the product.

DTalksAll

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

It does list the source, under "What else you need to know" 

"This product is preservative-free and derived from farmed naturally-sourced sustainable sugarcane (not from sharks or olives).

Raw sugarcane is pressed to extract sugar juices—as the juice evaporates, it darkens and concentrates. During PTR’s exclusive fermentation process, sucrose transforms into three liquids: sugar, cellulose, and ethanol. At the separation stage, a squalane precursor separates from the fermented matter. During purification and bonding, pure colorless squalane is sifted and rid of impurities. Liquid is bonded through a unique proprietary processing method."

DDG doesn't even list the full ingredients on Sephora. I hate it when companies do that! Clinique & Bobbi Brown make it so difficult to find ingredients. I finally found them on Paula's Choice (note, I don't really like her site & take her reviews with a grain of salt) "Water, Ethoxydiglycol, Glycerin, Propylene Glycol, Ferulic Acid, Potassium Azeloyl Diglycinate, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Rhizome/Root, Arctostaphylos Uva Ursi Leaf Extract, Arbutin, Morus Alba Leaf Extract, Salix Alba (Willow) Bark Extract, Salicylic Acid, Glycolic Acid, Mandelic Acid, Retinol, Hexylreorcinol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Panthenol, Quercetin Caprylate, Disodium Lauriminodipropiante Tocopheryl Phosphates, Ubiquinone, Phospholipids, PVM/MA Decadience Crosspolymer, Disodium EDTA, Urea, Potassium Hydroxide, Polysorbate 20, Phenoxyethanol" 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 heart
  • 6 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • lucyshnoosy
    • Nuke
    • laurabt
    • Cyll
    • linda711