mariannasole

Overpriced.

Why is everything in Sephora SO extremely overpriced? A small compact to go concealer is $49, its NOT worth it. I find myself buying most things there and returning it, because I cant afford it sometimes. Not everyone is a millionaire.

veronika23

Re: Overpriced.

It's not just make-up.  It's pretty much everything...  There's always a huge mark-up.  And if you people find it's too pricy just don't buy it. 

nhunka

I can only think of one type of retail that has a low markup (up to 10%) and that is grocery stores 

emmaclaire

My boyfriend works in the corporate section in a huge grocery store chain and the markup there is still pretty darn high!

linda84

I don't know if $1 is an exaggeration, but I have come across articles online talking about cosmetics marked up not necessarily because of better ingredients, but because of packaging and marketing strategies.

nhunka

(0) Hearts

Many products do cost less than  a dollar. Anything with a final tag below 35-40 costs that. I know because i have studied marketing and my family runs a business in the beauty industry so I am kind of in the know. 

I know it seems ridiculous That we pay 40 bucks for something that is only worth a dollar or so. 

And you are right packaging and marketing strategies add to the price as well. sometimes compaines will raise the price of a product only because if it is too cheap people will not buy it (thinking that it is ineffective because its cheap). 

nhunka

Seems like you do not have the basic understanding of marketing and product pricing then. Actually you do not really need that when there is proof that I have described above and you can apply simple logic. 

mimibel

It depends also on where you are used to shopping too. If I hit Sephora after the Chanel counter, quite a few things seem more affordable. :smileywink:

Everyone who mentioned luxury and higher end is correct though I find the Sephora brand to be reasonably priced. The prestige brands Sephora carries aren't any less expensive anywhere else though, so no, they aren't overpriced, the companies require stores to sell competitively. 

Sephora has a few more costly luxury items but overall, they aren't out of place 3 doors down from Coach on the way to Dillard's/MAC Iin my local mall. 

That said, I do think some brands and products are overpriced for what they are, others are just so lovely, I'd pay more. 

I research, test and then buy within my budget and have fun chasing down good products at every price point. Sometimes it's WnW, sometimes Guerlain. 

There is so much drugstore and big box store makeup that is good though, maybe not AS good but certainly nice, pigmented, fun to use, effective. 

But what did you expect to hear on the Sephora forum? We love Sephora, by and large, for many good reasons. Members stalk the sales, share the codes, discuss brands not sold at Sephora...so it isn't just all about who spends what. 

If anything the people I've exchanged comments with are friendly, modest, lovely gals. And maybe a couple of millionaires are here, but you'd not know it. 

nhunka

(0) Hearts

Sephora has plenty of lower-end brands that are not as pricy. Some products are totally worth the steep price tag because they have a superior formula (e.g. Urban decay) or have a very luxe packaging (like Guerlain or Givenchy). But yes they are very expensive. If you want to spend less then invest in pharmacy makeup which is quite well made these days

Gilz

I felt empathetic until I read that you buy most things there and end up returning them. I'm lactose intolerant and that's enough knowledge to know I shouldn't be drinking milk unless I want to spend a fortnight in the bathroom. I'm sure the same logic should apply to your spending habits. 

lmi82

I couldn't agree more.

linda84

$49 for a concealer? I probably would not pay that, but there are some concealers that are definitely lower priced than that. As many have said before me Sephora has something for everyone, for (mostly) every budget. I do think there is overpriced makeup. To say every product that is expensive is worth it for x and y reasons is not true, in my opinion. Many times you are paying a higher price simply for the brand name. Of course if I think something is ridiculously overpriced for what it is I simply will not buy it. We are all free to spend on what we see fit.

I personally shop at Sephora because I am happy with the quality and service. If I do not love something, I return it, so I always get my money's worth. Sadly, I have not had good luck with the drugstore, except for the Maybelline Age Rewind concealer! That stuff is amazing!

Maybe you should try and decide what is one product you need to be high quality? Foundation, for example or skincare, and pay a little more for those items. Pay a little less for things like blush or eyeshadow because you can find great and inexpensive options at the drugstore.

theramenlover

Like everyone has already said, it isn't really that Sephora is overpriced. You can maybe argue that cosmetics as a whole can be overpriced but you can't say that Sephora itself is overpriced. Sephora isn't a drugstore, it's not Walmart/Target/CVS, etc. It's not meant to be a place you go to to spend $10 on a foundation which is what Revlon goes for these days in the drugstore. If you want something made of better quality or in a shade that'll match your skintone, you go to Sephora and you know you'll be spending a certain amount there.

Can I also just say, if you do think it's overpriced, which is a very understandable thing to think, please do not purchase an item with the knowledge that you'll definitely be returning it because it's too much. I definitely get that it's out of budget and that for a lot of people, a $40+ foundation or eyeshadow palette is too much of a cost but by returning the item, you're not doing anything more than wasting it. It won't be re-sold or re-used in any way and will be returned to the manufacturer to be disposed of. 

It sounds harsh to say this but if you can't afford it, most definitely do not buy it. I'm not a millionaire and I'm in quite a bit of debt due to my university costs so I won't go around spending a few hundred on things I cannot afford. I buy what I can! It's also about budgeting. There are some BTers, myself included, who save up especially for the 20% off sales and buy only what we really want to. I would rather buy one quality item than three that won't work the way I want it to. 

mimibel

I completely agree with 'one quality item over several that don't work'. 

I also realized that nickel and dime drugstore purchases can also add up to a fair bit. I bought my things at the Sephora sale after a drugstore no-buy and actually saved money in the end. 

theramenlover

Definitely! I tried out a few foundations from the drugstore and they simply didn't work out quite the way I wanted them to. I own quite a few drugstore lipsticks (Revlon) that I love but I also own a few mid-level ones, like MAC, that broke me out terribly. I had a horrible allergic reaction to lanolin which is in about 95% of all MAC lipsticks and had to throw away all the ones I owned. Sometimes, it really does matter the ingredients in them if you have something you're allergic to. 

I think it's spending wisely that's the most important. 

FireSpinner

Sephora is not SO extremely overpriced. Is it more expensive? Yes. BUT, you are paying for quality. The products generally look and feel much better, then a drugstore item for instance. A way of approaching might be, you purchase less in quantity, but you receive more in quality. And, i'm confused as to how repeatedly buying things there and then returning them because it's unaffordable sometimes, makes any sense? If you want to stick to high-end products, set a budget for yourself - find ways to tuck a little money away, and then go in and get that high-end item that you wanted. Remember, you only live once. Gotta make the most of it and enjoy it to the fullest! *even if that means saving for a bit to splurge on something for yourself* :smileyhappy:

veronika23

[ Edited ]

Or just sell unwanted items on Kijiji to make extra cash. lol :smileyvery-happy:

FireSpinner

lol :smileyhappy: 

DTalksAll

I have to agree with everyone else. If you go on Dior, Bobbi Brown, Clarins, First Aid Beauty, Urban Decay... brand websites, then you will see that Sephora's prices & their prices match up exactly. Same goes for department store prices that sell the same exact items. 

Do you complain that a Burberry trench coat is too expensive for you? Maybe you do, but they won't drop the price for you. 

If you want makeup at drugstore prices, you're going to have to shop at a drugstore. 

You should NEVER purchase something that is out of your budget! Credit Card debit is serious and can ruin your life. Please make wise decisions when it comes to your purchases. 

IttyxBittyxMe

Not everyone is a millionaire, you are absolutely right. Where we will disagree on though, is saying Sephora is overpriced. You get what you pay for. Name brands are expensive because of the name yes, but also because of the quality of the products. You get what you pay for. There are plenty of drug store alternatives for everything at Sephora.

Foundation? L'Oreal instead of Urban Decay. Eyeshadow? NYX instead of Lorac. Primer? Hard Candy over Too Faced. But the quality of the products is vastly different. My eyeshadow won't crease and stays on all night with TF primer. My Lorac Shadows have less fallout and are less chalky then NYX. I haven't tried L'Oreal foundation, but I do know that their other face products have a tendency to break me out. 

Same can be said with clothing, shoes, cars, etc. There's high end, and then there's low end. There's Walmart and then there's Juicy Couture. What matters though, is what you decide to spend. You can spend the $7 on NYX eyeshadow, or the $42 on the Lorac Pro Palette. It's all about what you want to do and spent. I'm a college student who goes to school full time and works part time. Money is not something frequently in my pocket. But I budget out because I know  like some high end products over drug store. So if I have the money and I can afford it, I buy it. If I don't, I don't. But there's not use for me complaining that it''s expensive when there are other options out there I can take. 

emmaclaire

Woah comment twin, that's super weird

sbowden

[ Edited ]

I feel the need to add that Sephora offers perks with beauty points and promo codes with your purchase. Not many other companies do this, and that is why I shop here. So yes- $49 for a travel sized *edit: concealer* may be expensive, (and I would probably never purchase something like this) but use a Blitz promo code, choose your 3 free samples and maybe add a 100 pt perk to your order and BAM! You've just turned a travel foundation into a box FILLED with goodies.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 76 replies
  • 355 hearts
  • 44 in conversation
    • kalex
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • fashionforlife18
    • reflectsgold
    • chupi