mariannasole

Overpriced.

Why is everything in Sephora SO extremely overpriced? A small compact to go concealer is $49, its NOT worth it. I find myself buying most things there and returning it, because I cant afford it sometimes. Not everyone is a millionaire.

kittichick

Re: Overpriced.

Um. Guys? I think we have a troll. Please stop feeding it.

LadyInWhite

Amen.

ilovebears

I hope you realize that whenever you return an item, Sephora loses money. They are trying to provide a good shopping experience for their customers, so please don't take advantage of their generosity. Excessive returns is probably one reason why prices keep going up.

It's okay if your purchases don't always work out, and you return a few items every so often. However, please don't make it a habit to buy something, use it for a while, and then ultimately return it because you "can't afford it."  When you do that, everyone else who shops at Sephora is paying for you.

nekoally

Let's see...

Why is everything in Sephora SO extremely overpriced? - Sephora doesn't set the price, everything here is in par with other department stores, so it's definitely not (extremely overpriced)

A small compact to go concealer is $49, its NOT worth it. - I didn't see any compact to go concealer in the $49 range, so which one are you talking about? But sure, I'll give you the credit that $49 is probably too much for a small concealer.

I find myself buying most things there and returning it, because I cant afford it sometimes. - Now why would you do that? If you can't afford it, why buy it in the first place? Show it in a haul? If you can't afford it, go elsewhere that is more in line with your budge/price point, to save yourself and the store some trouble. Seriously you need to have some self control.

Not everyone is a millionaire. - That I agree with you. 

sugarluvv

Wow seriously... If you dont have the money stay with drugstore products. 

bleuorchid21

If you can't afford it, I guess buy from a drugstore? Yes, I wish the prices of some of the items weren't so high but I guess that's the way it is. If you can't afford the stuff to begin with, why even buy it only to return it? It's a waste of product since the store can't exactly resell it.

I only ever return items to Sephora if for some reason they aren't working for me.

JenBlush

I cant believe you actually admitted to buying things, using it and then returning it because u cant afford it? That is so wrong. You shouldnt buy it in the first place. Buy something you can afford. Not Cool!

AznAngelLiz

I have returned more than a few items before, but they were due to skin irritations, wrong color, etc...I've never knowingly buy something I can't afford or with the intention of returning it later. 

I have to agree with everyone else, the Sephora brand is relatively inexpensive (comparable to Mac) but they have no control on how other brands/companies price their products. 

There are lots of drugstore brands that are comparable to the high end ones. L'Oreal actually owns quite a few luxury brands (YSL and Lancome come to mind) so I'm sure their drugstore products are similar.

I shop at Sephora because they have a wider range of brands, and if I think a brand is too expensive for me, I try not to go to that area. For the longest time, I thought Guerlain was too expensive, I never even looked at their products. I'm starting to look at their stuff online right now, maybe I'll be brave enough to actually swatch some things the next time I'm in the store :smileytongue:

bleuorchid21

What's worse is someone gave her a heart...

glossyguru

Buy drugstore if you think "Sephora is SO extremely overpriced," it's as simple as that. If you can't afford something, just don't buy it. There's really no reason to complain, you get what you pay for, and if you want high quality makeup, you have to pay for it.

fashionforlife18

I agree. Its all what you want to pay. If its too expensive then there are always drugstore products, which is ok. There are some great drugstore products out there! I use quite a few. Sephora is a wonderful retailer that sells amazing high quality products. With high quality although, there is usually a high price to follow. But, Sephora doesn't set the prices, the brands do. A Dior eyeshadow quad costs the same at Sephora as it does at Nordstrom, etc.

Bumblee

[ Edited ]

When I was new to Sephora, I was very excited to discover many fabulous makeup/skincare products. But actually, I ended up returning three or four items of some of my first few Sephora purchases. That's because although I did much, much researching (Youtube, blogs, BT, etc.) into these products and a lot of agonizing over say which single liquid eyeliner to go for, ultimately the most important thing was that whether it worked for me. When I bought those items, I was somewhat shy at swatching at Sephora or spending too much time there. Still, I find returning items very wasteful so I have learned to be more conscious before I fork out my money by:

• Swatch and test at the Sephora store
  • Ask for samples to be made in store
  • Get help from an SA -- Express services are free for everyone (for example, you can ask an SA to help you try on different concealers and you might even learn a new technique or two in concealing)
  • Get Sephora Favorites incredible value sets (e.g. mascara sets or eyeliner sets) if the samples are not as easily made in store or if you think the cotton swabs/plastic mascara wands provided in store may not give you a good representation of the product

Then, when I do make my purchase, I know that it is something I like and would add to my routine. Many describe Sephora as the candy-store equivalent for women, so why not have fun in the store? Returns are associated with such negative energy, for some it's the awkwardness of the returning process, but for everyone a return is definitely made because of some sort of negative experience with the product. So why keep having to deal with returning items and making yourself feel bad?

I personally do like to buy full sizes of skincare though because most skincare items require a longer period of time to see results. That's when I would pair my skincare purchase up with some great promo code from the awesome (and dangerous) list maintained by rikkie here on BT.

I think it is safe to say that most Sephora shoppers are not millionaires; We just shop wisely, pick and choose what we buy, so we don't just find ourselves buying most things at Sephora then returning.

kenny

Now looking at this, I think someone was just trolling.....

lmi82

I don't think so. I was curious and looked at her BT profile and one of her reviews (for a Clarisonic) is titled "I Really Loved This... But Couldn't Afford It." Sad, but true.

JenBlush

I checked too but she even put up a post asking if she could return a product half gone because she supposedly "lost" the receipt. Now we know that it was because she used it, and just wants her money back to get either a new one, or something else! Wow

kenny

Oh yes, on further investigation I guess not. Seems like a good way to get your account flagged, by abusing return policies to try products beyond your means and then basically admitting it.

JenBlush

Right!! I wonder if the Mods already took a look at this! 

Whats sad is that im sure she isnt the only one that does this, but it only takes one person to just mess everything up. im sure Sephora assumes maybe that people do it. But now that they have it in writing, they might make stricter return policies in the future for this reason. And so when people actually didnt like a product, or it reacted badly with their skin, or any other reason to return it, and they need to return it.... They wont be able to because of this person"

lmi82

[ Edited ]

"I find myself buying most things there and returning it, because I cant afford it sometimes."

Are you kidding me? Why buy it when you can't even afford it in the first place? That is just absurd. Sephora has a very generous return policy and constantly returning items because you suddenly find them 'unaffordable' is abusing it. Sephora isn't overpriced. Period. Like others have already said, Sephora only controls the price of their own brand and they are reasonably priced. Everything else is determined by the brand that supplies their products to Sephora. You will find the same prices on the brand's website and at any other department store. Sephora carries a wide range of products and there really is something for each price point (low, mid, and high). It is up to you, the consumer, to buy something that will work for you while still fitting into your budget. Don't blame the store because you didn't make a smart purchase. If you find you have champagne taste on a beer budget, plan out your purchases, do your research on products to make sure they're worth the price, and take advantage of sales.You don't need to be a millionaire to own nice makeup; you just need to be a smart shopper.

Next time you want a pity party, please make sure you actually deserve it.

carrie1975

Like others have mentioned, You get more at Sephora than just the item. You get free samples, expertise& product knowledge, a hassle free return policy which you are obviously aware of. How many drugstores let you try it before you buy it? You get points that give you free deluxe samples and free parties.You should shop what you can afford.

marydiva

Sephora doesn't set the prices! They carry BRANDS with prices already set in stone. 

They only price their own line, which, to be honest, is VERY reasonable. 

You pay for what you get. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 76 replies
  • 355 hearts
  • 44 in conversation
    • kalex
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • fashionforlife18
    • reflectsgold