mariannasole

Overpriced.

Why is everything in Sephora SO extremely overpriced? A small compact to go concealer is $49, its NOT worth it. I find myself buying most things there and returning it, because I cant afford it sometimes. Not everyone is a millionaire.

reflectsgold

Re: Overpriced.

EXACTLY 

txmommyofboys

Very good point! 

txmommyofboys

This, of coarse, just me...but I have SUPER sensitive skin. Mostly higher end stuff is better for my skin personally. Now, some high end stuff breaks me out too (mac!), so I just have to go with what doesn't irritate my skin.

anaa

No one forces anyone to shop at Sephora or anywhere else!  I've never heard of anything as outrageous as buying something you think is overpriced and then arbitrarily returning it because you think it cost too much!  If you can't  justify paying the price, my suggestion is to not buy it in the first place.  I think it's a terrible waste when people buy and return over and over again.

neko333

The makeup is marked up. The ingredients in many makeup products are the same (some even being made by the same company). A dollar may be exaggerating by the time you factor in making the product, the container, the shipping, and the advertising for the product. Even then most things probably have a 90% markup. All things have a markup to some extent as the store selling it and the company making it need to make a profit. I'm sure these aren't exact numbers and I may look for some sources later but if anyone has anything to prove this is right or wrong please post it.

Really the difference between a lot of drugstore and high end makeup is simply a flashy name and an overstated claim that it can perform some type of miracle. A product is generally worth whatever the public will pay for it so if people will pay $60 they will charge $60 (and some of it is the economy).

That being said I often shop at Sephora and actually look for products with less ingredients. I suppose that may be silly to pay more for the simplest products but I prefer it since my skin is sensitive. There are some more expensive products that do perform exceedingly well which is why people pay more. For example if a thing of $30 powder will last me for a whole year whereas a drugstore compact will only last me a month or two. In this situation I am better off buying the more expensive one because it has more pigmentation which means I have to apply less. Also with value kits when you figure out how much you are paying for each product in the set you are paying about drugstore price for each item.

I'm sorry I jumped around and rambled but I'm watching Wreck-it-Ralph.

lilmissmodel14

The sephora store brand is reasonably priced in my opinion, comparable to drugstore prices, ($10 ish). Some products are splurges but they're for our own interests and loves. There are also coupons and promotions that come out. Especially during black friday, there are various (atleast 8) different products /little sets that are $10 each. Happy shopping.

sbowden

viviene23

(0) Hearts

That's more than a concealer though...it has bronzer, luminizer and foundation in a travel compact. If that's what she's referring to, I think she got confused.

sbowden

(0) Hearts

That's what I'm thinking. I tried searching concealers but none of them were that expensive

mimibel

Revlon photo ready finishing powder, $13/.3oz x3~ $39/oz

Guerlain Météorites 1.05oz=$58-$20 in upcoming sale= $38/1.05oz

:smileywink:

jus' sayin...

kenny

Yes, I find this happens a lot too! Drugstore brands definitely have products with less product than their more expensive counterparts, so in the end the price difference is not always that great.

mimibel

It is true. I know not everyone can afford 38$ in one whack for finishing powder, though, that is true. But it pays to do a little math, save for your must-haves  or dying-to-have things sometimes. I chose the most wildly luxe thing I'd 'not been buying' and actually had a chagrined giggle over it. :smileywink:

when my makeup budget was much less, I bought really good foundation and was picky about everything else. There's a way. Otoh, I was thinking about it too, and while a fair amount of my friends love my looks, few see makeup as a hobby or a collection like I do. So I guess it just depends...

bratknits

Some things are over priced and some aren't, it's up to the consumer to be educated about what they purchase.  It's like clothing, some expensive clothing is well made by people who earn a decent wage and is expensive but a good value.  Some designer clothing is made in the same factories, by the same slave labor, and of the same cheap materials as the clothing at discount stores.  I've stopped buying from brands entirely over changes in materials and labor. 

Cosmetics is easy compared to shoes and clothes you can look at the back for where it was manufactured and ingredients to get a decent idea of value.  Years ago I was able to buy US, and locally, made shoes from Dexter and Converse.  One no longer exists and one only has corporate presence here now.  Polartec fabrics is the same, as soon as the owner adn his wife died they closed the mill.  I won't buy any of it.

infinitise

(0) Hearts

I do agree with you that alot of the stuff at Sephora is overpriced, (and they keep increasing too) but honestly I can't find anything in drugstore that even come close to my staples at Sephora.. 

nhunka

Also I do agree that it is extremely overpriced. Here is a very bold example: Recently I got a free concealer sample of Givenchy Mister Light concealer. It had 2 ml of.product. when I went to see what the product's cost was i found that it cost $34-36 and had LESS (1.4 ml)  product than the sample that i had received !!!!! If they give away free samples that has more product than the actual thing It means that they CAN afford it. Which means that it costs almost nothing.

Do not feel guilty buying and returning makeup even though they need to dispose of it. It costs  less than a dollar to manufacture most of the makeup items and they put a ridiculous price tag.  

halloweenbaby36

It definitely costs most than a dollar to manufacture most of the makeup items found at Sephora. When you factor in that the company has to buy things to make the products, pay people to come up with the product, package the product, ship the product, etc. it comes out to be a whole lot more than a dollar.

And you shouldn't just be buying and returning makeup as you please, it costs the companies money and then they raise their prices.

nhunka

(0) Hearts

The price tags that they put already cover for any losses thatt may be incurred by returns. I do not feel guilty returning makeup if i do not like it. Do you really think they would have made this policy if they could not afford it? First rule of business is to make profits and they do. 

kalex

"It costs less than a dollar to manufacture most of the makeup items and they put a ridiculous price tag."

Did you pull that out of thin air?

nhunka

(0) Hearts

Did A LOT of research before I ventured into buying high end makeup. Even though I do not justify the price tags I still cant resist buying Givenchy products and Guerlain meteorites. 

Before you try to rule my statement as a BS maybe you should do some research as well? 

kalex

I have - and don't recall finding anything to support your statement. 

nhunka

(0) Hearts

Here is how makeup gets its final price tag. The manufacturer produces a product for 1$-5$. It expects to make At least 40% profit. transportation costs also add to the price. Then the retailer expects to profit at least 40%. It also has to pay rent. So that also adds to the price. Then the retailer needs to pay it's employees. That adds to the price as well. Then there is insurance against loss of profit. And other expenses. All of it can add up to 40-100 bucks. So it costs very little to manufacture those products. They are very rarely made of precious materials to truly justify their steep price. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 76 replies
  • 355 hearts
  • 44 in conversation
    • kalex
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • fashionforlife18
    • reflectsgold
    • chupi