Lalagirl1995

Old Hollywood Glamour Event Look

I'm getting prepared for an event, much like a ball, a couple month away, and I am determined to exude the classic, Old Hollywood elegance and glamour of Grace Kelly and Audrey Hepburn. I have a pretty extensive makeup collection, as I do theater makeup and fantasy looks for local photo shoots; but I'm curious what products you all would recommend, as I seldom do a totally matte look. I want to look like I stepped straight out of "Rear Window" or "Roman Holiday" or "Breakfast at Tiffany's" or any of those classic movies. What do you suggest?Audrey Hepburn.jpggrace_kelly002_.jpgGrace-Kelly-Beautiful.jpg

Lalagirl1995

Re: Old Hollywood Glamour Event Look

@lylysa

One day I had to do five different looks on the same model for shooting, and we only had six hours or so, including camera setup and all that jazz. That powder was a lifesaver for me, because the model had a naturally shiny face, and I didn't have much time to address it (I don't even know HOW many props they had her shoot with. I was lucky if I got 30 minutes to create a whole new fantasy look, including new hair dos and costume alterations.) Whenever her shine started to show through under the lights, just a little more powder and she looked flawless. I love that stuff.

lylysa

Just be sure to never over do it, when silica powders build up too much or get layered over sweat, it doesn't read so pretty on camera. :smileysad:

Fan brushes/stippling brushes are great for applying it to keep things light and not heavy handed.

If you're ever looking for tinted versions of a good HD powder, Cargo's Blu Ray/High Definition powder is awesome! Super smooth and also plays nice with cameras.

Lalagirl1995

OOH, those pictures are unfortunate. :smileysad: I always applied a very small quantity and double checked its appearance on the camera after every touch up to ensure the makeup looked just as it should. I was very careful, as HD cameras notice EVERYTHING, as I'm sure you know.

And I've never tried a tinted HD powder before. What difference does it make on camera?

lylysa

(0) Hearts

There's not too much of a difference between the Cargo and regular/translucent HD powders from my experiences, but before HD powders launched I was using the Cargo ones with a fan brush applied like you would the powders now. They come in 4 colors so it was just a matter of picking one that suited the skin type and since they were applied sheer it didn't need to match 100%.

The Cargo ones are nice for every day wear if someone wants to add some more coverage to say a tinted moisture or BB/CC cream (or even a light coverage foundation) without using an actual powder foundation or building up on cream/liquid layers. Smashbox's HALO powders work similarly, they're tinted, but bridge a happy medium between a slightly tinted finishing/setting powder and a lighter weight powder foundation. They have the shaver dial dispense system so you have turn the dial a little for a finishing amount or a bit more to add coverage on lighter weight complexion products.

I go back and forth with the Cargo and Smashbox for my every day wear. If I'm going out/dressing up more so I'll still top them off with a HD powder and never had issues with layering and how it translates on camera.

Lalagirl1995

Awesome, thank you very much. :smileyhappy: I'll look into those and see what happens. Coverage without build up is always a plus.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

You're welcome, HALO can be pricey, but it packs a lot more product than traditional pressed compacts, plus you can snag smaller versions in their kits, the one below is available in 4 shades and is $29 (regular/single HALO is $59):

Smashbox - Try It Kit: Halo + BB

You can always look up on Amazon and other retailer sites for just the mini powder sold on its own if you fall in love and want to build your kit up with them.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 26 replies
  • 21 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • btmod2
    • katie1724
    • malday
    • annonymous1
    • lylysa
    • Lalagirl1995