Lalagirl1995

Old Hollywood Glamour Event Look

I'm getting prepared for an event, much like a ball, a couple month away, and I am determined to exude the classic, Old Hollywood elegance and glamour of Grace Kelly and Audrey Hepburn. I have a pretty extensive makeup collection, as I do theater makeup and fantasy looks for local photo shoots; but I'm curious what products you all would recommend, as I seldom do a totally matte look. I want to look like I stepped straight out of "Rear Window" or "Roman Holiday" or "Breakfast at Tiffany's" or any of those classic movies. What do you suggest?Audrey Hepburn.jpggrace_kelly002_.jpgGrace-Kelly-Beautiful.jpg

btmod2

Re: Old Hollywood Glamour Event Look

[ Edited ]

Hi Lalagirl1995,

These are gorgeous looks and you have already received a number of great suggestions! I would definitely start with a good foundation because this look starts with perfect skin. My top choice is NARS Sheer Glow Foundation. This foundation looks very natural on the skin and photographs beautifully.

I would then go in and perfect the brows. Old Hollywood Glamour looks have a very strong, bold eyebrow. I would start with Anastasia's Brow Powder Duo and then I would go in and perfect everything with Anastasia's Perfect Brow Pencil. After that, I would set your brows with Anastasia's Clear Brow Gel.

For cheeks, I would go for a sheer, matte shade and then lips go as bold as you would like. Definitely line your lips with lip liner to give them a fuller look.

Best,
Ty
CharliefromNY

(0) Hearts

Sounds like great fun!  I'd go with a classic red lip (like NARS Shanghai Red) and a black liner (Bobbi Brown gel) which will stay on all night.  Lots of mascara, and not much on the face or cheeks....maybe a matte foundation like Urban Decay Naked Skin and a touch of blush on the apples of the cheeks (like Cocktail Peach from Dior)...

malday

(0) Hearts

@quotidianus do you remember when they used to have a sampler of almost all of their red lipsticks? It was about 4-5 years, ago, I'm really sad I didn't purchase them at the time because they weren't in the little matchbook set like now, they were tiny lipsticks! And only $8 for the set.

besame

Lalagirl1995

I've been looking around the website, and I love it. I think I'd really love their products on, too. I'm just sad that they don't have the little matchbox sets in the more red colors! I mean, those are the ones I REALLY want to look at. Thanks for introducing me to them, though. :smileyhappy: <3 Here's a batch of snickerdoodle cookies for your wonderful advice. 

Heatoyos1

I totally remember their red sampler set. I am so sad I missed out on it, too! :smileysad:

malday

[ Edited ]

@Lalagirl1995 yeah when you mentioned that you do makeup already I figured you'd know what to do look-wise. Sorry I can't be just a little more specific, a lot of the products I use are either LE or discontinued so what works for me usually isn't even available! :smileysad:

I think you should check out Besame Cosmetics, all of their makeup is vintage inspired.

quotidianus

Completely second malday's suggestion on Besame.  When I couldn't find my cake mascara for a while, I used theirs.  All their packaging is gorgeous.  For lips, they have a Champagne & Chocolate Kiss Sampler for $6 ... you can try without buying the full-size product.  I did like their cake mascara, which you can also use as an eyeliner.

Besame Cake Mascara.jpg

Lalagirl1995

(0) Hearts

Thanks for your input! If they're really that great, I'll definitely buy a product or two to try before the big event. Thank you very much. 

Lalagirl1995

I've never heard of Besame Cosmetics, but I'll definitely look them up. Anything vintage-inspired is fantastic. :smileyhappy: And that always happens to me as well! My favorite ever lipstick shade was Clinique Poppy Love in their butter shine lipsticks, and within a year of my falling in love, they discontinued it. I bought, like, three, but I'm coming to the end of my last one. :smileysad:

malday

[ Edited ]

For matte shadows your could try:

http://www.sephora.com/naked-basics-palette-P376213

http://www.sephora.com/ladybird-true-romance-eyeshadow-palette-P378616

Lips:

http://www.sephora.com/velvet-matte-lip-pencil-P78834 in either Dragon Girl or Cruella if you want a matte red look.

If you want more of a natural hued matte try

http://www.sephora.com/painted-love-lipstick-P211912 in Lolita. Something natural would probably exude more of the Audrey feel than the Grace Kelly one.

Maybe skip the winged liner, or at least make it small, I feel it leans a little more 50s, and focus on making your eyelashes look AMAZING. Try some falsies, nothing too thick or heavy looking.

If you have sparse brows, fill them in with a pencil to look natural but well defined.

If you have some sort of HG natural pink blush use that, maybe with some light contour because these ladies have amazing cheekbones.

Honestly I think your hair and wardrobe is going to be the most important part in the look since Hollywood glam makeup hasn't changed too much. Red carpet looks today still exude that old Hollywood glam.

Lalagirl1995

(0) Hearts

Thank you for the links and specific products! That's really what I need. I know how my eyebrows and cheeks should look and how to apply and all that jazz, I'm just really looking for your favorite products to achieve that look. I'll definitely take a look at your suggestions.

katie1724

[ Edited ]

Rear Window is one of my favorite movies -- for the movie itself, but also because Grace Kelly's wardrobe was phenomenal. If you haven't found a dress yet, I always advocate actual vintage (though it can be expensive and tricky to buy -- if you are considering this, be sure to read a quick guide beforehand). If you like the look of a vintage dress, but you prefer a new one, stores like ModCloth are great (ModCloth sells both true vintage and vintage-inspired). The first two dresses are from there, the third is true vintage from a store called Concetta's Closet on Etsy: 

Screen Shot 2014-01-21 at 10.45.01 AM.pngScreen Shot 2014-01-21 at 10.44.12 AM.pngil_570xN.478010390_16c1.jpg

For hair and makeup tutorials, I would search for YouTube tutorials -- some are very good and easy to follow! :smileyhappy:

Lalagirl1995

Actually, I shop both those stores regularly, and vintage hairstyles are one of my specialties (all through high school we kept doing shows like "Hairspray", "Thoroughly Modern Millie", and "The 39 Steps", and I'd do hair and makeup for half the cast.) When it comes to the dress, I'm actually using genuine vintage fabrics and having a dress made to look like the dress from "Rear Window" with the black, v-neck top and full, ballerina-esque skirt (though mine will be floor-length). My day-to-day makeup is vintage-inspired, it's just not PURE matte vintage, and supplies for that are what I'm looking for.

lilahtov

(0) Hearts

Ooooh I would love some pictures! I adore vintage fashion, hair and makeup.

annonymous1

Thick brows, red lip and winged liner are very classic for that time

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Do you have any preference on whether you're wanting suggestions to work with brands that are primarily theater/artistry grade or more so brands available to mass consumers like those sold in Sephora/department stores since you mention a background in theater make up?

Lalagirl1995

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I just want to hear what everyone else recommends. I do have a great deal of Urban Decay, Tarte, Stila, Smashbox, Make Up For Ever, and, more recently, some Kat Von D in my kit, though, if that tells you anything about my tastes. For this event I would prefer makeup that will stand up to photography/HD photography if possible, though. 

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Gotcha, I just wanted to clarify, as far as maybe there might be something already in your kit to work with rather than suggestion something new to go out and purchase.

For retail brands in Sephora/department stores to get the matte, full coverage look where skin is flawless but soft and diffused, I would suggest MUFE, Kat Von D, and Smashbox. MUFE's Velvet Mat is a clear choice, but if you have the HD foundation you can top it off with their HD silica powder (let me know if you've never worked with this before, there's some info that will help yield best results during application and wear) or their Pro Finish powder which is multi-use (this product does oxidize, so be sure to get a shade slightly lighter than your true match). Kat Von D's Lock It foundation gives full coverage with very little effort, so this will minimize the likelihood/chances to build up or layer too much product. Smashbox is a camera friendly brand and their Studio Skin foundation gives a natural finish, but can be matted down with powder or a silica based finishing powder to ensure skin isn't weighed down by product but still gives a smooth look and finish.

Aside from that, if you have theater/artistry grade brands in your kit or would like to check into some, I would suggest looking into brands like Gratobian, RCMA, and Cinema Secrets.

Lalagirl1995

I have the Kat Von D Lock-It foundation in three colors, actually (so I can use it year round and then use the darker shades to contour for a more natural look), the Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer, and I believe I still have some Make Up For Ever HD finishing powder left over from my last shoot. And when it come to theater/artistry makeup, I adore Kryolan, but I don't have much of it because I enjoy the Sephora perks that come with purchase, especially since I'm still going through my schooling.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

That's good to work with, the key with any old time, Hollywood look is achieving the matte finish, but not having the skin look dry or harsh.

The HD powder will help to set, softy mattify, and diffuse the look of imperfections on camera which is why it's a staple in my personal and client kit. I like powders (pressed or loose) that are micro/finely milled to leave next to no tell-tale trace of application.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 26 replies
  • 21 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • btmod2
    • katie1724
    • malday
    • annonymous1
    • lylysa
    • Lalagirl1995