No matter what I do my makeup won't stay all day!

I think it's time to turn to you all for help. I feel like I'm doing everything (fairly) right in terms of my skincare and makeup routine but no matter what I do my makeup just will not stay in place all day! It's enough to drive me crazy. First of all, I would say I have combination skin. My t-zone gets a little oily but not bad while some areas (particularly my chin) are a little on the dry side. I'll walk you through my routine and you let me know if there's anything I'm doing wrong. In the morning when I wake up I usually cleanse my face with the Lancome 'Creme Radiance' Cleanser and, of course, pat my face dry. I then pat toner on my face (alcohol free) and use Lancome Renergie moisturizer. I am 26 so I don't have saggy skin, but I have used multiple moisturizers and this is my favorite. Then I wait for the moisturizer to dry and proceed to use Lancome's La Base primer. Then when that's dry as well I put on my foundation with a clean beautyblender.I happen to use drugstore foundation so that's the only thing I can think might be tripping myself up, but I don't think so. I mean plenty of people use foundation from the drugstore and their makeup still looks great, so that can't be it, can it? Anyway, I typically use Laura Mercier translucent setting powder to set my foundation and then set everything when I'm all done contouring and all that with my setting spray. By the end of the day, though, my makeup has worn off my cheeks and nose (I don't touch my face at all) but I don't have an excessive buildup of oil or anything. On the rest of my face my makeup has settled into any fine lines I may have and it's just crappy.

By the way, at the end of the night I diligently remove all my makeup and use my clarisonic and my lancome cleanser to clean my face so I'm not neglectful or anything. Should I buy a higher end foundation instead? If that would help I'm going to go out right this minute and buy one. Other tips would be helpful as well. 

P.S. if I do need to go buy a high-end foundation, what is recommended? I'm thinking MAC Studio Fix but I'm open to suggestions.

Re: No matter what I do my makeup won't stay all day!

(0) Hearts

@shea3834 It looks like you're using a silicone based primer. Is your foundation also silicone based or is it water based? Silicone and water don't mix so if the foundation and primer aren't both silicone based or both water based the foundation can melt off.

(0) Hearts

Hi @shea3834,

I totally understand what you are going through. From what I read, it sounds like you are doing everything"right". I bake with powder and my oiliness still comes through. But I have been using the Estee Edit Pore Vanishing Stick before my primer and I feel like that has really helped my make up last a bit longer. 

What setting spray are you using? 

Best Wishes,

Janean

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Ahh, I just realized I forgot to mention the setting spray I use, haha. I use a drugstore setting spray too. I use wet & wild photo focus. I actually recently came across the term of makeup "separating" and that is exactly what is happening on my face.

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 heart
  • 3 in conversation