kellsmuneoka

New products to try?

Hi guys! 

I would love some suggestions for foundations (medium beige), lippies, lipgloss, lip treatments, eye palettes, mascara, concealer, skin care, makeup brushes, and perfumes.

I know this is a lot, but I would love some suggestions since I'm new to actually doing my makeup for a purpose instead of just playing with it. I'm 14 so I don't need that much of a high coverage foundation, but something that will let my skin breathe, give a certain glow, and not give a cakey look. Looking for more higher end products, but please tell me some drugstore alternatives.

xoxo, Kelly

ellevee09

Re: New products to try?

(0) Hearts

One item I've been in love with is my solid sponge cleanser by beauty blender. Omg! It works extremely good for my blenders and all makeup brushes! IMO, it smells like Dove soap. But hands down one of the best cleansers out there! So easy and quick to use. It really takes out everything from my blenders and brushes. Yes, the pink rinses out but I think that's suppose to happen. However, the color (pink) doesn't fade. Definite buy...then re-buy.

http://www.sephora.com/solid-sponge-cleanser-P379449?skuId=1438407

MAC- highlighter in Lightboost

Benefit blush in Rockateur

Buxum eyeliners are the bomb but MJ eyeliners are way better...but buxom are still really good. Definite try.

jobro1027

Lips:

Revlon - I think they make the best drugstore lip products out there, and with them, I haven't seen the point in investing in any high-end lip products yet. Their lip butters, lip stains, and glosses are gorgeous, and I have yet to try a product that doesn't produce a good color. I haven't bought any lipsticks from them yet, but plan to soon!

Eyes:

-Urban Decay Naked Palettes (1 or 2, or Basics if you don't have the money for the full palettes)

-Maybelline Color Tattoo Eyeshadows are great too - I personally need to use a few layers to get the vibrant color you see advertised, but they're inexpensive and last.

-ELF Eyelid Primer is almost a must-have. Your eyeshadow looks better and lasts longer, and the primer is only $1 at Target. ELF's primer is easily just as good as Urban Decay's $20 primer potion.

-Lorac Pro Mascara is great for lengthening, but not for holding a curl. So I recommend that one depending on what you need your mascara to do. :smileyhappy:

-BadGal Waterproof Mascara is a good waterproof one - it lengthened and volumized a bit, but I found that it was near impossible to take off without a good makeup remover (so makeup remover wipes aren't going to cut it).

-Benefit's They're Real Mascara is supposed to be a great one, and my little sister adores it, but I didn't care for it personally.

-Urban Decay 24/7 Pencil Eyeliners are a gift from the heavens if you like pencil liners. I prefer pencils over liquids, and I really don't like gels at all, so these are my HG eyeliners, and they come in every color you can think of!

Face:

-NARS Blush in Orgasm is a cult favorite. I like it, it gives a good color on my skin, but it can be a little difficult to apply if you don't have a good blush brush.

-Urban Decay Naked Foundation is awesome, if you don't have much redness. It's lightweight, and offers medium coverage. One pump covers my entire face, so the bottle lasts a while (a good thing at that price!). However, I have quite a bit of redness under my eyes and on my chin, and it doesn't cover all of it. I'm trying some color-correcting primers before I try a different foundation, and it doesn't cover the few freckles I have very well.

-Smashbox High Definition Concealer is pretty awesome - it covers the hyper-pigmentation on my chin, and covers most of the dark circles under my eyes (and they're dark). A pea-sized amount covers everything I need it to (the dark circles, few freckles, and hyper-pigmentation/redness on my chin), but if you have a lot of acne scars, you might want something a little larger.

-Benefit's Boi-ing Concealer is good as well - it's "industrial strength," but I wouldn't really consider it that. It's not quite as good as the Smashbox, but it's a decent concealer.

For skincare, go to Lush. It can get a little pricey, but it's incredible. They allow you to sample their all-natural products, and when you find the right products, your skin feels INCREDIBLE.

Ecotools and ELF are good drugstore brand brushes. I like all of Ecotools brushes (I have their eye brush set and the blush and bronzer brushes), but I didn't care for ELF's All-Over Face Brush. It was nice at first, but became really itchy and scratchy. Sephora's Pro Brush collection is really nice - I have their airbrush concealer brush, and it doesn't itch or scratch under my eyes, even though I use it A LOT. My foundation brush is Urban Decay's Optical Blurring brush, and it's awesome! It's soft but firm, and it blends the foundation incredibly.

Good luck!

Joanne

kellsmuneoka

(0) Hearts

Thanks so much for all the info! I was thinking about getting a sigma kabuki set & some mac brushes for eyes. do you think I should get the elf and ecotools instead?

carolang

A few specifics to look into!

Lips

-Buxom lip gloss in Leslie (or get the free half size with an online order... see Rikkie's promo codes #6 board!) - lovely peachy pink gloss

-Clinique chubby sticks or chubby sticks intense (more color) - grandest grape is a berry color that can be worn sheer or darker for special occasions. It's one of those twist up lip crayons - lots of drugstore alternatives

Eyes

-Naked 1 (if you're warm tone) or Naked 2 (if you're cool tone) - I'm neutral, actually "medium beige" in bareMinerals... I like Naked 1.

-Maybelline The Falsies mascara ... amazing! My favorite (this is a good place to go drugstore since it should be replaced every 3 months)

Face

-Too faced 12 hour bb primer - I like bb creams. This one is a "primer" so its more silicone-y... good for oily skin, not for dry skin. A lot of people like the Smashbox bb cream too. It does have pretty good coverage but it was a little too thick/heavy for my oily skin.

-Tarte blushes... dollface, exposed... thats a good place to start! Or get one of their cute holiday kits on their website or sephoras

lillyjumper

(0) Hearts

tarte is the best for blush! love dollface, exposed, blissful and dazzled! 

knadala

These cheek tints and hightlighters are a great way to have a natural look with touches of color and shimmer in all the right places. Benefit also has tons of other great products like the Porefessional, which is essentially a tinted primer but can be used as a light coverage foundation.10552666-1361800643-374273.jpg1381079_fpx.jpg

veronika23

Hi Kelly,

I stared buying high end probably around your age.  For me make-up brushes is something worth spending money on.  If you take care of them they will last. That means you will need to wash them. I have brush cleaners and use baby shampoo to give them a good wash but I've been meaning to look into other types of shampoos to wash them. I have some that still look new and they are 10+years old... I love MAC brushes and Sephora pro has a few good ones like the Pro Airbrush Concealer Brush #57.  The last brush I would worry about at your age is a foundation brush. That concealer brush can wait too.  I used to and still sometime use disposable make-up sponges that I buy at Wal-Mart or my fingers (clean of course). There's a lot of good brushes but I'd equip myself with the basics.  Powder/Blush/Bronzer one that can do it all or if you can afford it one for each, 2 different eye brushes and also an angled brush (if you want to use a shadow as a liner). If you think you'll use products that you'll need a lip brush I'd get that too. That one you might be able to find a "cheaper" one in a drugstore for now.  I think that with this you'd have a good start. Where ever you decided to pick up those brushes ask someone to help you. =)

Foundations: I haven't used any drug store foundation in a very long time but when I did it was cover girl.  High end I'm currently using UD's Naked.  I've tried Tarte, MUFE, MAC, Smashbox.  If you don't need a high coverage you can mix your daily moisturizer with your foundation.  So I would put a bit of both on the back of my left hand (clean of course)(and I'm right handed) and mix them together.  It will give you a lighter feel and coverage.  If you want a "glowing look" you can use a luminizing cream like MAC Strobe.  I'd say don't worry about primers for face just yet.  I would just wash my face, apply moisturizer and then your foundation.  Having the moisturizer underneath will help the foundation glide better.

Lipsticks and lip glosses you can pretty much find anywhere.  I have a maybeline one that's pretty nice, more for summer.  I'm currently into Bite Beauty a lot because of their ingredient list.  Since the holidays are almost here I'd suggest looking at lip kits.  You'll get a variety of products and colors.  Probably the best bang for your buck.  If you are in the US Sephora inside JC Penny is carrying a really nice one called Lip Service.  Here's a link to a convo on BT about this:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Lips/Sephora-in-JCPenney-Lip-Set/td-p/717919

I really like Fresh sugar lip polish.  It's expensive but it goes a long way.  You can also DIY .  Check out this board http://community.sephora.com/t5/Lips/DIY-Lip-Scrubs-anyone/td-p/720301

Eye palettes:  I think that would depend on what you prefer... Like which colors you like.  This is a great time of year to shop because there's a lot of palettes and value set.  I never really bought any palettes and own just a few.  I always bought my shadows in singles... Probably because I've been shopping at MAC for way too long. For me an eye primer is a must!  It makes your shadow last longer. I'm currently using the one from Urban Decay but also heard nice things about Too Faced Shadow Insurance.

Mascara: I'm a total mascara junkie and I've been a Dior mascara addict for some time.  At your age I'd focus on drugstore brands.  Keep your money for other things. I used to wear Loreal Voluminous mascara in Carbon Black.  I also had a Maybeline one... The one in the pink tube.  Try and get them on sale at Wal-Mart or the drug store. Remember that these should be thrown out every 3 months and never share your mascara.  You'll also find out which brush type you will like best. I think that's pretty important.  I always hated the "rubbery" type brushes.

Skin care:  This is probably the most important thing.  If you don't take care of your skin you'll regret it later.  I've always taken care of my skin and that's probably why people think I'm 10 years younger than I am. lol.  So I've discovered many things about skin care and the ingredients. I'll prefer a natural brand over anything else.  If you google David Suzuki Dirty Dozen list it will give you which ingredients you should avoid in cosmetics.  This also applies to make-up and I prefer when I can to use a more natural brand of make-up. Now it's not always easy but at least this information will help you make a better choice for yourself.  If I knew at your age what I know now I would have made changes a long time ago.  Just be careful if you use a natural brand because some of them advertise it that way but it isn't.  I know it sucks but read the label. :smileywink:

I saw you didn't put hair but I'll just give you one tip. If you use hot styling tools like blow dryer, straightener, curling iron make sure you use products on your hair for heat protection.  It will help keep your hair healthy as opposed to fried.

Here are some of the best tips I think I can give you. Always wash your face before bed.  Make sure you don't have any make-up on.  Use SPF moisturizer or  SPF foundation during the day.  Make sure you also moisturize day and night. I used to do a scrub every few days and a mask every week or so. Start experimenting and you'll find what you like. Keep your brushes clean. Do not play with your zits. One you can add bacteria and two you could break your skin and it could leave scars. If you aren't sure about something research it. It's much easier to do that these days. Ask questions. Remember to always have fun! :smileywink:

lourdescerv

(0) Hearts

I think loreal, neutrogena, and almay are good drug store foundations(I prefer neutrogena). If you want only one good everyday useful palette get the lorac pro. For a cheaper alternative get the duos/quads/singles from loreal or maybelline (I like loreal more)

1930sbella

(0) Hearts

For lip stuff I would try: Maybelline Color Whispers sheer lipstick, Revlon Just Bitten Kissable lip stain, Maybelline Baby Lips balm, Sephora brand glosses, Fresh Sugar Lip Balm, Covergirl Lip Smoochies lipstick, Eos lip balm, and NYC Lip City Duets lipstick.

Perfume: Floraly: Clinique, Coach, Tommy Girl, Juicy Couture, Marc Jacobs

Classics: Dior, Chanel, Tocca, Versace, Marchesa

( roller balls are always a great way to go, you get to "try" a perfume, but you aren't committed to a full size, full price bottle.)

Have fun finding what you like. Half the fun of having, is taking the time and making sure that you really like/want it.

lillyjumper

pink sugar is also a great perfume! it was one of my favorites when i was 14 and i still love it at 16!!

kellsmuneoka

Thanks very much. Roller balls are so cute. Defs trying to get one in my next stop by Sephora.

miabt

(0) Hearts

Hi kellsmuneoka,

We have a lot of really great holiday sets that make great starter sets :smileyhappy:  One that I saw earlier that I REALLY want is the Too Faced A Few of My Favorite Things Set.  It has just about everything you need for a full face, except foundation.  

Too Faced - A Few of My Favorite Things

http://www.sephora.com/a-few-of-my-favorite-things-P383430?skuId=1550375

xo, Mia

kellsmuneoka

(0) Hearts

Thanks Mia! I was browsing through the other day and I saw that set. It's so cute, but how's the pigmentation of the shadows & does the mascara make your lashes spidery?

mpolansky

(0) Hearts

I can vouch for the Better than Sex Mascara. It's really volumizing. Not too much lengthening but I really like it. I'll be honest I kind of wanted to hate it because there was so much hype about it but it's actually a good product.

miabt

(0) Hearts

Too Faced pigmentation is pretty good actually!  They are one of my top 5 brands :smileywink:  I haven't tried the Better Than Sex Mascara, but I have tried other Too Faced Mascaras & loved them.  I'm not a fan of spidery lashes either!!

kellsmuneoka

(0) Hearts

Is it better than the Benefit mascara? haha, sorry about all the question I just hate spending money on mascaras because I replace them so much. The guerlain noir g mascara was a splurge for me but I couldn't keep replacing it. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 10 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • veronika23
    • lillyjumper
    • miabt
    • ellevee09
    • 1930sbella
    • carolang