ArmywifeJ

Need help finding a matte blush/contour

I really need some help finding a matte blush. I am German, so I have blond hair, blue eyes, light skin. I also have very red cheeks. I am currently using Clinique's Even Better Foundation to really help cover everything up, but it works so well that most days I just look flushed one color. I really want to help give my face some more definition. I have tried to use a little bronzer, but didn't like the results- I felt it looked too artificial. So I am looking for a matte blush, maybe in a peach tone? Or should I use a light pink on my cheeks and peach to contour? Like I said, I have very red cheeks, so I don't want anyting too bright. I have tried to swatch some colors on my hand, but I have no idea how they would look on me, and I'm afraid of walking out of the store looking like a clown.

I live in southern Georgia and have an oily T zone, so I really don't want anything shimmery- I glisten enough because of sweat.

I grew up in a family of boys, so I didn't have anyone to teach me about make up. We moved here in September and this is the first time I have lived so close to Sephora, and I am HOOKED. I've become a total make up junky, but don't really know the best way to apply everything. The employees at the Sephora near me are not very friendly and very intimidating, so I don't turn to them for help.

Also, I'm a stay at home mom, so I don't need much make up. But on the off chance that I do go out, I do want to look presentable.

The picture below is of me with just foundation on, no blush, so you can get idea for the skin tone.

Thanks so much for any help!

409065_2175695452152_1039286603_n.jpg

sephoramusthave

Re: Need help finding a matte blush/contour

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Welcome welcome! I lived in Germany for a few years (Memmingen). I know that you had bad experiences with bronzers, so did I when I was first trying them out, but I *highly* recommend Benefit Dallas. Its not at all artificial looking, its not glittery or orange, looks so nice. I dont own any matte blushes, but Tarte has some amazing ones. Have you ever tried cream blushes? They are so easy to work with and look amazing. I really love Stila Convertible, and think that Lillium would look just gorgeous on you!

Viel Glück!

WomanUSA50

No one should be intimidating, afterall, there is NO ONE that is born knowing everything. If you feel intimidated by the Sephora staff at a particular Sephora Boutique then make your feelings known via phone or email as soon as you can. My niece, her friends & I are currently switched from a nearer location & going to the Sephora Boutique in Kennessaw, GA. Ask for Mandy there. Sephora Boutiques are not prone to making their clients feel intimidated. These are slim times in the cosmetics industry. No one in the business can afford to intimidate a prospective client, nor should they. Intimidating a client is NOT Sephora's mission statement. I am assured of this as I witnessed such behavior towards clients in other cosmetics boutiques and am back at Sephora. If you are a client you are precious to Sephora and the cosmetics industry. The client IS precious..in most every industry. Kindest personal regards. Im also "military issue" and raised with all male siblings. Im grateful for Sephora..Danken der himmel Sephora und der clienten!

WomanUSA50

Lived in S. Georgia & Ingolstadt, GR. If you want a matte (no sparkle) finish there is Benetint (rose) in the original formula. You can consult Sephora website product reviews or ask relatives in Germany, 2. This product has a very subtle rose scent to it it you are partial to rose or any scent then this may not be ideal but it is MATTE and does has a formidable shelf life. $29 USD goes a long way, and you can apply with clean fingers. Get Sephora Beauty Advise for proper application. Many advantages in long wear and stability (true to color/very little product needed to achieve desired affect). Kindest personal regards & best of luck finding your ideal product.

WomanUSA50

Have you tried Benetint or Posie Tint blushes (more tints & textures available other than the original Benetint) from the Benefit line of cosmetics? Go a long, long, long way? They can be applied with sponge, cotton ball, clean fingers -- NO SPARKLES, very natural. Left word on how to apply at Benetint (Rose) product review on Sephora website titled "Applying wisely..". Costs $29 USA dollars and is versatile, durable and looks ultra natural to most any skin tone (prep hydration a plus if you have dry skin like mine). Lasts months for some and up to over a year for others (i refrigerate it; is refreshing in hot climate and maintains freshness). I apply all this & all cosmetics with a clean/suitable applicatior (makeup sponge, cottonball, etc. although I do not recommend using a brush w/this product -- makeup artists manage it, as i have watched 1 do so at a fashion event). I am NOT a beauty advisor, but im 50+ years old and have been in the field of fashion where beauty products are constantly tested and challenged). Everyone is different so the posibilities and results are many. Sometimes we want to be cost effective and still put our hands on excellent formulas with dependable results. Just an idea. You decide in the end in finding your favorite and what works for you. Liquid rouge has been used since royalty ruled France. Benetint is an extremely versatile, durable and reliable product once you learn to apply it. Ask Sephora Beauty Advisers for tips on quality/stability/applying this product if u decide to give it a look/try. I always suggest reading product reviews Low to High and then High to Low; then Most Helpful --> High to Low. Kindest regards and best of luck in your search.

ArmywifeJ

I LOVE all those suggestions! Thank you all so very much for all your help!

manniface

Oh! also check out the Stila convertable color blushes in lithium and peony. They are cream blushes and have a pretty natural finish when buffed in with a dense, flat-top brush.

dianabt

Hi there! I haven't picked up a scent but it could just be my nose :smileysad: If you can visit a store check them out! Try also looking at some of the Make Up For Ever shadows too, they can be used as all over colors and not just on the eyes.

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
manniface

If you just want to be able to try out a variety of blush styles I would recomed grabing some ELF studio blushes ($3) and some Wet N Wild color icon blushes (about $3) from target. That way you can pin down what sort of color you like. Then you can bring the blush you like to sephora and find a similar color it the Tarte or Benefit blushes (both of which are fantastic and have longer wear time, altough becareful about overapplying the tarte blush, they are super pigmented). 

dianabt

Hello ArmyWifeJ, 

I think you have some great tips below! I second the suggestion of the Tarte blushes, they are soft and natural looking and only a few have shimmer so you can go for a neutral pop of color with more variety in shades than just pink or red.

Try Blissful which is a light peachy tone

swfupload_5770126291807810515.jpg

I also love the Kat Von D Everlasting Blush which is super smooth and has a gorgeous array of shades to choose:

Bellisima is a soft peachy pink tone

swfupload_5132154644403442193.jpg

Wish is a soft peach with just a hint of shimmer that's very subtle on the skin:

swfupload_2560791085998642691.jpg

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
melissa93

Try Tarte! They're all pretty much matte finish and it does last for a really long time even it hot humid weather. They have a great choice of colors :smileyhappy: Try blissful. 

triciaann12

[ Edited ]

ArmywifeJ

Thanks for the review! I have seen it, but was weary bc of the shimmer, but I may just have to give it a try, thanks!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 21 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • melissa93
    • sephoramusthave
    • dianabt
    • triciaann12
    • ArmywifeJ
    • manniface