htucker7

Need a face wash

i have acne prone, oily skin that is fairly sensitive. What face wash and regimen (moisturizer, scrubs, etc.) do you recommend?

beautylovingirl

Re: Need a face wash

(0) Hearts

@ChelseaU- While your finding success with the oil treatment it's not recommended on very oily skin to use more oil. It's leads to clogged pores, more irritation and just a disaster waiting to happen.

ChelseaU

(0) Hearts

Use the oil method! I know it probably sounds insane, but it works! Oil combats with the oily skin! 

I personally use a mixture of extra virgin olive oil, castor oil, and tea tree oil. Apply before bed (so once a day) to your face and immediately apply a damp, hot washcloth to your face on top until the cloth is cool. Wash off any extra oil/make-up with the cloth.Can be used on your body in the shower too! 

I also use a seaweed mask two-three times a week (whenever I'm in the shower cause it's messy). You can Google the oil method for various other types of oils that people use. I have been using it since Jan and have seen great improvement. Not perfect, of course, but when I DO get a pimple, it is gone within 3 days. (if not sooner) 

I have been dealing with acne (NOT pimples, zits but actual acne) since middle school and am almost 26. 

prosopon

(0) Hearts

I would describe my skin exactly the same as yours.  I have heard that (I think it was from someone on BT) that sometimes your face is dry, but it appears oily because it is overcompensating for the lack of moisture.  I had been trying products for combination skin without seeing a difference or more sensitivity/breakouts/etc.  After I heard the possibility of really having dry skin, I decided, what could I lose.  

I bought from the drugstore CeraVe hydrating cleanser. It does not foam up at all, it has kind of a slippery lotion feel.  You massage it into the skin and then rinse it off.  It works at taking off makeup (I haven't tried it around the eye area - I use eye makeup remover there).  Since starting this cleanser, my skin has been clearer, the texture is softer, and when I wake up my face is not a greasy mess.

As for what I put on after cleansing, it depends on the season.  I always follow up with a serum (I use Estee Lauder advanced night repair) and, for the summer, a light moisurizer (someone mentioned clinique's ddm gel or I have been using DDF ultra-lite oil-free moisturizing dew - not at sephora)

Ultimately, everybody's skin is different.  I would change one product at a time to see how your skin reacts to it.  It may take longer, but you will know what is working and what is not.

59rushswoosh

I would definitely recommend the Clinique 3-step program! I have combination oily skin, but it does not react well with harsh cleansers, so I use the mild liquid facial soap, mild clarifying lotion, and the Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel, which has been working really well! I also use the Rinse-off foaming face cleanser prior to my 3-step at night to remove my makeup more thoroughly, but thats not required. One of my best friends who also has acne-prone oily skin uses the 3-step, and she loves it! Also I recommend the spot-healing gel for when you do get a breakout because it works very quickly. I really hope this helps! :smileyhappy:

dianabt

(0) Hearts

Hi htucker7, 

I would definitely keep away from any harsh scrubs unless they are specifically formulated for treating acne and breakouts like the ones made by Peter Thomas Roth and Laura Mercier.

PTR Blemish Buffing Beads for Face & Body

swfupload_923392268999729458.jpg

Kate Somerville Exfolikate Acne Clearing Exfoliating Treatment

swfupload_5911682669873012414.jpg

Usually with scrubs I only use them every other day or so as to not irritate my skin. You should still use a good gel based cleanser (less prone to causing more oilness) and  moisturizer (preferably with SPF and that is oil free!) on a daily basis to keep your skin calm and protected:

Murad Oil Control Mattifier SPF 15 (my favorite for hydrating and mattifying the skin) 

swfupload_7452607679928745536.jpg

Peter Thomas Roth Clini Matte All Day Oil Control SPF 20

swfupload_8653688259592709554.jpg

For cleansers I suggest a gel based cleanser that can help to reduce oil and kill bacteria that is leading to clogged pores and causing breakouts. These two are pretty gentle and affordable, try to visit your local store for a sample! 

Boscia Clear Complexion Cleanser

swfupload_1805387664338696928.jpg

Origins Zero Oil Deep Pore Cleanser

swfupload_6266995036298037646.jpg

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • prosopon