lyravega

NARS Tinted Moisturizer: Finland or Terre Neuve?

[ Edited ]

I've tried this fantastic tinted moisturizer in shade Alaska recently. And I love it!! I LOVE how it feels and looks on my skin!!! But, Alaska is waaaay too dark and ORANGE on me. I'm quite fair, with pink undertones, so I'm wondering if anybody knows which one, Finland or Terre Neuve, would be better for me? Which one is lighter? Which one is NOT yellow/orange? How light is Terre Neuve exactly? I know it would be better to try it for myself in the store, but I don't know when will I be around one again... so, I'd like to order it from Sephora.com, because I just have to have it right now!!! :smileyhappy:

fiona123

Re: NARS Tinted Moisturizer: Finland or Terre Neuve?

As I said before I wear Terre Nueve and it seems to work fairly well.  Not ideal, but the best color so far of the ones I have tried.  I have Clinique CC cream in Light and it is very near my skin color, however, it is just not as good a product as Nars Tinted Moisturizer which I think really has good coverage and makes my skin look luminous and at 60+ that is really saying something.  Alaska was suggested and then someone said it was quite orange.  I tried Achland but it was dark and orange too.  I believe I tried Finland too, I've lost track.  I don't really have the lightest skin just not what is considered fair - sort of medium light I guess.  Thank you everyone for joining in the discussion and a special thank you to those who have said they have pink undertone as I was beginning to feel alone!!

laura819

(0) Hearts

I can't reply to specific messages for some reason but I must be weird - I sunburn in the shade BUT when doing color IQ and just testing foundations in general, I do have slightly yellow undertones - not too yellow but definitely not pink either. And so fair - it's a nightmare!

fiona123

(0) Hearts

So what I'm understanding here is that Nars tinted moisturiser just does not have anything in a pink undertone.  I love the product and wear Terre Nueve since it is the least yellow/orange.  I purchased two other shades and returned them before giving up.  I was told at a store that many lines do the yellow as many consumers believe the yellow neutralizes pink skin tone. I find it just makes an obvious line between my face and neck.  Hopefully, someday Nars will add some more shades.

notcreative

(0) Hearts

I use a yellow concealer to cover red spots, and it works decently well (Lancome Correcteur).  However, with my skin, only patches get red (not my whole face).  When a foundation or tinted moisturizer leans yellow on me, I think it looks terrible.  My skin is cool/Neutral in that I mostly have pink undertones with a little yellow.  If you do not like the way it looks on you, ignore advice that tells you it cancels out the red.  That is not always the case.  Everyone has different skin and tones.  You know when something looks off and should follow your gut.

andyhtrieu

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Have you tried the shade Alaska?

carrie1975

(0) Hearts

I am one of those that sunburn in the shade, not just sunburn but blistering burn. I can thank my Scandinavian father and Irish mother for that.  Foundation is a nightmare for me. Not too many companies make very fair foundation with pink undertones. I can get away with some neutral foundations but just a few. I have been wanting to try MUFE 107 in the HD formula but it's never in stock. 110 is a little too dark. I've been wanting to try the tinted moisturizer from Nars but I'm not sure any will work.

danigurl13

(0) Hearts

Sorry, but that is incorrect. People have all different shades of undertones including pink, peach, neutral and yellow (based on ethnicity.) My skin is very pink-based so neutral foundations often look very yellow :smileyhappy:

andyhtrieu

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Ok for some reason, my original comment got deleted haha. My Bobbi Brown book tells me that everyone has yellow undertones. Only 1 percent of people have pink undertones, and those are the people that sunburn in the shade. Foundations with pink undertones can look like a mask on most people. 

notcreative

(0) Hearts

I never saw the original comment before it was deleted, so I was unaware only 1% of the population had pink undertones.  They must all be family members of mine.  Luckily, my kids take after their Dad, so they do not "sunburn in the shade" like I do.  

Even though I am very pink toned, I have some yellow.  Do I fall in the 99% then?

lyravega

(0) Hearts

Update: So, I got Terre Neuve and it is pretty close to my skin color. It is a little bit darker, but nothing too much. I can get away with it. I'm happy it is not as yellow as it looked when I squeezed it out of the tube for the first time! I was like, oh no, this looks soooo yellow! But it is not that yellow on my face, which is a surprise because EVERYTHING looks yellow or orange on me!!!! As I said, it is a bit darker. But I can wear it as it is, or if I'm not in a hurry, I mix it with a bit of my Kat Von D Lock-It liquid foundation in L42, and it's perfect! All in all, very nice stuff and I think it is my new favorite thing! :smileyhappy: I love this tinted moisturizer! And that's a lot coming from someone who wears full coverage foundations all her life and never wanted even to hear about tinted moisturizers, little less wear them :smileyvery-happy:

janinebt

(0) Hearts

I'd have to agree with what's been said go with Terre Neuve :smileyhappy:.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
lyravega

Thank you, ladies! Terre Neuve it is! :smileyhappy: Can't wait to try it!!!!

aparrish

(0) Hearts

Good luck! I love this product, too -- I went to the store to get my Color IQ number and I was like, forget all those other products, just tell me which NARS tinted moisturizer I should be using! :smileyhappy: 

lyravega

(0) Hearts

LOL! I totally understand you. This tinted moisturizer is amazing like that! :smileyhappy:

jetsetjourno

I also am fair with pink undertones, and I went through this *same exact* dilemma  a few weeks ago. I decided on Terre Neuve, and am really happy with my purchase!

maltipoo66

Hi! I went through the same situation-after testing out Finland and Terre Neuve in different lighting, I agree that they're basically the same shade, but Terre Neuve is a bit pinker, and Finland is more yellow. So Terre Neuve should be a good match for you!

aparrish

I think they're prrretty close, but Terre Neuve is just a little bit less yellow. Here's a photo from an amazing beauty blogger's comparison (I can't post the link, but go to phyrra dot net and search for her post; it's from April 4 of this year).

i actually was debating these two colors too, but I think Alaska may be my better match! :smileyhappy:

lyravega

(0) Hearts

Thanks so much! This was really helpful! This pic, and the ones on the blog. I think I can definitely go with Terre Neuve. Finland is scaring me with its "yellowness". But Terre Neuve looks like it could be it!  It really is less yellow. Hopefully it won't be yellow on me ( and too dark ) :smileyhappy: EVERYTHING is dark and yellow/orange on me! ARRRGHHH!!!! :smileyvery-happy: But, I really love this stuff, so I'll give it a try. 

Thanks again :*

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 6 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • maltipoo66
    • lyravega
    • fiona123
    • janinebt
    • carrie1975