StephieRee

Makeup flakes off, gets blotchy. Can't get a good finish!

Hello everyone, I am super new to the whoke makeup game (and I'm 23 lol) I have super sensitive, combination skin and I have tried EVERY makeup up ever it feels, and I can't get a smooth finish! I moisutrize, drink plenty of water, but everytime I put my makeup on it flakes off and looks like splotchy dry skin. I've been using Laura Mercier's makeup that I purchased here on Sephora.com, and then I bought the makeup in the little book (the guide to looking good at everything) because a Sephora rep in store said they would work well for my skin type.

I don't know what I need to be doing, or using to get that good smooth finish like everyone else does with their makeup lol I hope someone has advice because I literally can't put on makeup anymore without it looking like a skin colored-clay mask that''s peeling off when its dry.

Thanks for your help in advance!

ajimama

Re: Makeup flakes off, gets blotchy. Can't get a good finish!

(0) Hearts

And I just replied to a thread over a year old LOL

ajimama

(0) Hearts

Okay. Read through all the comments. First: stop with all the face cleansers/ brushes/ facials!!!! You do not necessarily need them. Cleansing overload. I may be biased - (ex: I do not believe in the whole 'Clarisonic is a Goddess' phase...)... That said...

Sounds like your skin is quite similar to my sisters. So, I would recommend only moisturizing once a day [twice if you intend to keep washing like you do], only because you are so young. Or simply dab moisturizer on the dry areas at night [and around areas prone to wrinkles such as eyes, around mouth, forehead, etc...]. I LOVE BLISS THE YOUTH AS WE KNOW IT. It has a slight tint to it. But it smells delic! [Which you can tell you have purchased a knock off from a different site upon first smell and glance as its that noticeable!]. This in and of itself can prime your skin for foundation after a few weeks of not washing your face to much.

Until then, I would try a tinted moisturizer to put on top of it; or of course their are all of those new BB, CC, and DD creams out there [sorry yet to know if those are all the rage]. But drugstore brand Yes for Carrots has a good one, Bobbi Brown, or M.A.C. [Surely Sephora has one].

If I WERE YOU: STOP THE OVER WASHING: DO THE BLISS THE YOUTH AS WE KNOW IT 1-2X A DAY. And do like my sister: Dior Diorskin Airbrush Spray yoself! How?: No bad smell or obvious smell, which is a plus. Onto the application of this: First of all, no matter how cool spraying it directly on your face looks, don't do it. Spraying onto a beauty blender [those funny egg shaped things to apply make-up with/ sponge like/ Sephora sells them…], then dabbing the foundation onto your skin into BIG dots, and MOST IMPORTANT: blending (DO NOT BOUNCE this on, or blot-blot-blot-dot-dot-dot-dot; rather DRAG IT DOWN IN MANY STROKES until covered. VOILA! I know people have complained the foundation is too pink or orange, but my sister finds this happens if you spray it directly onto your face. But not if you apply it ‘correctly.’ IT EVEN looks the same in the incredibly bright fluorescent lights in say-a school or AHEM RETAIL STORE DRESSING ROOMS... Finish: Skin like-NO FLAKES. Even texture, even color, perfect dewiness in the center of my face and tops of my cheekbones. If you feel the need to add pressed powder or whatnot, go for it. But does not sound like you do. Hope that helps. Worth a shot!

ME~*

livemakeup14

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I would suggest trying to use a foundation primer. This will help to smooth over the skin and help the foundation apply more smoothly and evenly. This also helps the weartime of the foundation because it helps to keep it on the face longer. I would suggest smashbox photoready primer, but I would test it out before buying it because it can irritate some people's skin.

Hope this helped!

-Sisi

HadleyMonster

I was having the same problem forever! Turns out I was stripping the natural oil in my skin, then over moisturizing like crazy, causing my makeup to literally peel off my face.

I suggest a light face wash, toner, Josie Maran's Argan Oil, primer - I love Hourglass, and lately I've been using NARS Sheer Glow foundation which is fabulous because it's light, dewy, and blends easily. It's also made specifically made to be applied with your fingers which I love because I can't stand the coverage of brushes or sponges. Just make sure you wash your hands first!

JamieDawn

(0) Hearts

I was having the same problem for a while. I was actually using an acne system that was too dry for my skin. You may be analyzing the wrong beauty product here. I solved my problem by switching to Ren 3 calm clay cleanser and using the guide to looking good at everything (just like you now have). I hope you find the solution! :smileyhappy:

JamieDawn

(0) Hearts

I was using Murad and it destroyed my skin.

beautylovingirl

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Are you using a primer before your foundation to set a good smooth canvas? If not I suggest a good primer and also look at something like the Perricone blue plasma peel to help gently exfoliate and those dry areas. It's very gentle so it should be just fine for your sensitive skin. Hope this helps!

meglette93

(0) Hearts

Hey, StephieRee. Sorry to hear about your problem! I actually used to have the exact same problem, until a friend recommended Philosophy Hope in a Jar. I started using that once a day, and then suddenly I didn't even have to wear foundation, at all. It's lightweight, and if you're like me, you only need to use a little for it to work. I really hope you react as well to it as I do, because what you've got now seems really rough! Let me know if that works!

arkansasgal

(0) Hearts

I've had the identical problem mostly on my forehead for months and months. It's pricey but after searching and using and trying everything on the market including drugstore brands, this FINALLY worked for me:  AmorePacific Treatment Enzyme Peel  $60.  I got it as a 100 point VIB perk and will now order the full size.  I've used every exfoilient and moisturizer that wasn't priced for sultans or celebrities and nothing worked until I tried this enzyme peel.  The very first time I used it I could literally feel the dead, flaky skin come off my forehead.  That was a first!  Give it a try. It may still be available as a VIB perk but if you have to buy the full size, the worst that can happen is it doesn't work for you and you have to return it for a refund.  Be sure to use it once every other day for a week before making a decision.  I also use Tarte Pure Maracuja Oil but for someone your age there are many good hydrating moisturizers on the market for your skin type.  Good Luck and please post again with an update.  :-)

StephieRee

It's still available so I am definitely going to try it, thank you!

arkansasgal

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Great!  I looked too and saw the sample size was still available.  The product is a fine powder that you'll pour a dime or nickel size into the palm of your hand.  Adding just a couple of drops of water is enough to make a light paste.  Because your face will be damp when you apply it, the paste foams up as you use circular motions to remove the dead skin.  I hope you get the same results I did. My skin is glowing and no more scaly, flaky, peeling skin showing through my foundation.  :-) 

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Back off the Clarsonic to 1-2x weekly and change to Murad's Vitamin C cleanser and night cream for nighttime.  That way, you'll have good oil control by day but you'll hydrate at night.  I was using the Clairsonic daily, too, but I found it actually was making my skin angry and ran into all sorts of issues, including dry patches.  Using it 1-2x weekly gives you the exfoliation you need but without the irritation.

I've been using Tarte's 12-Hour Foundation and start with Tarte's BB Tinted Treatment under that foundation on days where I was a super flawless finish and more "made up" look.

StephieRee

(0) Hearts

Is it the Amazonian foundation? 

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Autocorrect!  Not beverage but VERBAGE!!

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Yes, I get the beverage mixed up, but it's Tarte's AC 12 Hour Foundation.  Love it so, so much!

latviana

(0) Hearts

I'm not much of a makeup expert but I know what you mean because sometimes parts of my cheeks do exactly that but I also put my face up so very close to the mirror because I'm nearsighted.

I've noticed that with liquid foundations when I apply with a brush that is still slightly wet (because I didn't give it enough time to dry from washes) that the foundation applies a lot smoother to the drier areas where it would normally get patchy. So you can try that, slightly spritz/wetten your brushes before appication.

keelybt

(0) Hearts

Hi StephieRee What products are you using for skincare?  Do you exfoliate regularly?

StephieRee

(0) Hearts

Right now I am using Murad's acne set, and I use my clarisonic. I use first aid beauty's moisturizer and their oatmeal mask too 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 4 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • ajimama
    • meglette93
    • latviana
    • arkansasgal
    • jennypenny1995