Nadinezzeldine

Makeup artist

Hello everyone, I am in the starting phase of becoming a makeup artist and I don't know if I should purchase all the tones of foundations and concealers especially that I am intending to get professional brands and that would be too costly as a starting phase so could anyone please help and tell me what I should do?

ellevee09

Re: Makeup artist

(0) Hearts

just buy a few and mix shades to the one you want. that should help cost and get more experience. once you get a hang of it, you will be able to pick out shades just by looking at skin color. hope this helps a bit. Best of luck on your new adventure. get it girl!! :smileyhappy:

serioustree

[ Edited ]

Ummmmm... I don't have any tips but I would recommend you to check the labels on allproducts you buy to make sure there are no ingredients that a large amount of people are allergic to. 

For example:

modeling for my friends beginning photography portifolio, the make up artist accidentally placed a product with fragrance on my face and in 5 minutes my face FLARED UP AND I GREW GIGANTIC BUMPS for the next two weeks. 

I would suggest you visit Gossmakeupartist on YouTube. My friend follows him and he has a lot of great hypoallergenic recommendations for concealers and foundation

janinebt

Hi Nadinezzeldine,

Congrats on coming to the realization that becoming a MUA is what you want to do :smileyhappy:. Concealers and foundations is almost always a big concern for most artists simply because it can get expensive. I would recommend starting out with a handful of foundations. One for fair tones, two for medium tones (yellow based and pink based), and one for darker tones. Between the five colors you can mix and match to create customized foundations. Liquid foundation only lasts about 1-2 years so stocking up on a ton of shades that you will most likely not end up using is a waste, plus it will weigh your kit down.

You can also get creative by using full coverage concealers! They actually make for decent foundation if you're in a pinch for shades. The Make Up For Ever Camouflage Cream Palettes are excellent for this! You can sheer them out by cock-tailing a little foundation primer (try using something rich in hydration like Kat Von D's Rehab Priming Elixir) with the color(s) of your choice. I'd apply the mixture with a beauty blender for a smooth flawless looking complexion.

swfupload_1372871558740045161.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/5-camouflage-cream-palette-P12630?skuId=873455

swfupload_4787738180714049716.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/rehab-priming-elixir-P291911?skuId=1340660

swfupload_2576399266404675318.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/beautyblender-P228913

swfupload_5145720997897926629.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/instant-radiance-foundation-P310708?skuId=1388313

Whimsically yours,
Janine
bearsmom

(0) Hearts

I agree, and I love the MUFE palettes!!  

bearsmom

Unless you have all business matters in order and clientele lined up, I would hold off on buying all shades.  Check your demographics, see what skin tones your potential clientele are most likely to have.  This will be a combination of most prominent skin tones in your area and which skin tones are most likely to pay for your services.  Buy those shades first, along with shades you or close family/friends can use.  Then make sure you have at least one fair, one medium, an one dark so you can blend shades in a pinch. Use your profits to further fill your kit.  If someone with a different shade wants to hire you and you don't have a store nearby, let them know you need to schedule in advance or charge extra for rush shipping so you can order the shade that would best match their skin. Not everyone will like that but most will appreciate you wanting them to look their best. Technically this is profiling and it may feel kinda wrong, but unless you have your clientele built up or money to burn on expired product, it's just one of those things you have to do starting  out.  Also, all of us interested in makeup love to have the best products and therefore want clients to have the best, but sometimes there are comparable  products or combinations of products that will give the same results for less money, which will increase your profits.

bearsmom

(0) Hearts

I I should have said... Make sure you have a foundation with an olive undertone.  That can be a little hard to match if you are only blending shades with yellow or pink undertones.

emmaclaire

(0) Hearts

I'm sure there are makeup artists who come to the boards and could tell you what they did, but why not ask your school?  If you're becoming a makeup artist you're probably in cosmetology school, so your teachers and mentors should be able to give you some good guidance.

If you're looking to become a self-taught artist, keep in mind that can be a VERY difficult path to follow.  Not that self-taught artists aren't incredibly talented, it's just that you really have to prove your skills and worth every single time you get a client because you can't show a degree/certificate in the field (which generally gives potential clients a lot more confidence in your work).  I would consider taking some classes at a cosmetology school if you can or at least asking if they might be able to give you a few tips for starting up - like what products you should buy!

I know a lot of stores offer discounts for professionals, so hopefully you can take advantage of that when building your kit.

bearsmom

(0) Hearts

In my experience...  

I did not do cosmetology.  I wanted to so badly, but there was a long waiting list for the one in my area and by the time it was my turn, I had been pregnant and had my son and decided to stay home.  I feel like it has been a disadvantage to me because I cannot work at a Solon or spa, but very few people have asked for certification.  The best things to do are have visuals and get your name out there.  Take pictures of yourself, friends and family and keep them in a binder to show your work.  Make sure they are professional quality.  Look online for free websites and build your own website and make some business cards to hand out and leave them with all photographers, wedding planners, spray-tanners, and spa/salon counters that will let you.  Also, check regulation in case there are things  you plan on doing that your state requires a license for.  Right off hand I know I can't use a razor for anything....

emmaclaire

(0) Hearts

Well said, and wonderful advice.  Having a professional portfolio is important with all visual arts, makeup included!  And congratulations on being able to make a name for yourself in your chosen industry all on your own.  The fact that you felt it was more difficult was the point I was clumsily trying to make - that having the official schooling might help you get your foot in the door and allow greater access to some areas, but I agree that it's not a requirement or a guarantee that you'll find work.  

OP, listen to @bearsmom's advice carefully, I think it's spot on and will be VERY useful for someone trying to get into the industry!

bearsmom

(0) Hearts

Thank you!!  :smileyhappy:

i want to add... As you do makeup for clients, ask if they chill sign a waiver to use their face for advertising.  If they agree, you can replace the pictures of friends and family and yourself with clients over time.  

Meg82

I don't actually have any help I just wanted to say how exciting it is that you are becoming a makeup artist!  What a fun and fulfilling life choice.  Yay you!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 14 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • emmaclaire
    • janinebt
    • bearsmom
    • ellevee09
    • serioustree
    • Meg82