Looking for a new foundation

(0) Hearts

Hi there! I am a 36 years old with oily acne prone skin.  I have tried several different brands of foundation with little success.  I have tried Lancome, Clinique, Make Up Forever and Tarte.  I am looking for something with long lasting coverage that will NOT make me break out.  I use Philosophy cleansing products.  I also have very fair skin.  Any help would be much appreciated!

Re: Looking for a new foundation

(0) Hearts

@nlkowal I'm super pale, oily and acne prone too and I've finally found my HG foundation about a year ago! It's MAC Studio Fix Powder Foundation Smiley Happy It's full coverage but doesn't look dry or cakey at all and the powder absorbs oil to help the makeup last longer (plus it's easy to throw the powder in your bag and touch up than it is to touch up with a liquid) and the shade range is amazing! I can never find a foundation that is light enough for my skin or has the proper undertone but I'm using NC10. If you have a cool undertone try NW10 instead. Seriously, this product will change your life! I feel so much more confident knowing my makeup hasn't slicked off and I don't have a dark line down my jaw where my foundation ends lol this covers up redness well too if that's an issue for you Smiley Happy

(0) Hearts

This sounds like exactly what I need!  I  am definitely going to look into it!

(0) Hearts

It's definitely the foundation.  My face breaks out less when I don't wear foundation.  I am extremely reluctant to try an oil or balm to take off my make-up. I know anything oily will definitely make my skin break out.

(0) Hearts

@nlkowal

Of course you breakout more when you use foundation than when you don't.  When you use foundation, if you don't cleanse off well - the skin will react poorly.

It doesn't matter what foundation you use, if you don't cleanse it off....all makeup will break you out.  This is a cleansing/skincare problem!

Oil is your friend.  You are not leaving the oil on your face but cleansing it off, so don't worry about breaking out.  Also, I have oily skin, and I use the products I recommended to you.  In fact, I use oils even as moisturising products - it balances my skin.

(0) Hearts

@nlkowal

Often (not the rule), the reason for breakouts due to makeup that isn't cleansed off well.  Once that is fixed, it is easier to determine if the makeup product is really irritating your skin.

Two words that stuck out to me are "long  lasting", and "Philosophy".  The two don't jive.  Long lasting makeup needs much more than just any cleanser.  And Philosophy isn't a great daily cleanser either.  I have used it before (but now I know better).

I suggest using an oil or balm to take off makeup.  Something like a "Clinique Take the Day Off" balm or "Tata Harper Nourishing Cleansing oil".  If you use the Tata Harper, you can use it for the purpose of removing makeup as well as cleansing your skin, since the ingredients are very skin friendly.

If you use the Clinique Take the Day off, follow up with gentle cleanser like NUDE Tata Harper (pick one), REN etc.

(0) Hearts

@nlkowal I also agree with @greenchilli 

You can have the most beautiful and expensive makeup in the world but if the canvas is dirty the makeup won't work like it's supposed to. As an oily skinned girl myself, do not be afraid of oil! It's your friend- when we give oil to ourselves our skin doesn't feel the need to overproduce it anymore and it balances us out. Like she mentioned the Clinique Take the Day Off is great, and other good one is Biotherm's Balm-to-Oil cleanser! I think the Biotherm is a few dollars cheaper too.

(0) Hearts

Do you need to use another cleanser after the oil?  And then moisturize?  Just want to make sure I am doing everything right if I switch products!

(0) Hearts

Hey @nlkowal if I can chime in yes! Double cleanse. Take your makeup off with the balm and then use a gentle  cleanser after to wash your face. After this step I like to tone, use a serum or treatment oil and then moisturize. If you go into the store the SAs are really helpful and can give you samples to try before you purchase the full size product. Hope this helps!

Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 hearts
  • 4 in conversation