CMiller7

Long-Term Teeth Whitener?

Hi everyone! Does anyone have suggestions for long-term teeth whitener? I've tried various toothpastes (Colgate, Aquafresh, Arm & Hammer, Crest...) and haven't seen drastic results. I've used Rembrandt toothpaste, which whitened but made my teeth sensitive after a few days of use. I've also tried Rembrandt whitening strips and they worked but my teeth didn't stay white very long, and repeated use again made my teeth sensitive. My teeth just aren't naturally super white, even though I don't consume coffee or other staining drinks/foods regularly. Any suggestions for a whitening product that would have long-term results or that can be used safely on a regular basis? Thanks! :smileyhappy:

Spoiler

SirensSong

Re: Long-Term Teeth Whitener?

(0) Hearts

I've been using the Crest 3D White Luxe Whitestrips Supreme FlexFit-Teeth Whitening Kit for about a week now and notice a huge difference. They are a bit pricey ($65) but they are sold at Ulta and they frequently run a 20% off sale (that's how I got them). I am very impressed with these particular strips because they do not make your mouth foam up or fill up with saliva. There is no need to have to constantly be spitting out excess product/drool while you have the strip in. They are flexible and adhere tightly to your teeth. It even takes a little bit of force peeling them off after the hour is up.

The downside is they do make your teeth very sensitive. It is not an unbearable pain, it's more like "your teeth feel chilly" (lol). I did read that people switch to Sensodyne toothpaste and it helps with the sensitivity while using this product. The sensitivity does go away once you stop using the strips, btw.

I personally really look forward to putting them on every day (hence no "rest days" or "breaks" like other people) simply because I know that every single day they get whiter and whiter, and this is super exciting for me.  I've been taking daily pictures and it's awesome seeing noticeable results.

I highly recommend them if you're willing to tolerate some temporary discomfort for the results you want. 

CMiller7

(0) Hearts

So you use the strips everyday?

I mean, I don't mind a little discomfort, but I've always been told that long-term use and sensitivity could mean that you're damaging your teeth and/or gums.

SirensSong

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Yes, you put them on for one hour a day for 14 days (I'm like on day 8). After that you just use regular whitening tooth paste to maintain them and I hear some people do "touch ups" from time to time with additional strips. From what I read they are safe to use and don't wear down your enamel. So far so good. You could always try it for a few days and return it if it doesn't work for you. 

There are also tons of reviews on youtube if you want to check them out. Perhaps you'll stumble on something you like.

CMiller7

(0) Hearts

I've done those strips and a few other brands before and the sensitivity isn't bad. I agree, they definitely whitened my teeth. The problem is that the whiteness doesn't last very long at all, maybe a couple of weeks max and then the results are gone. And you're right, they're safe if you're only using them for the directed time! :smileyhappy:

Kinsleysquare

(0) Hearts

You should look at ZOOM! take home whitening. Normally this is only sold in dental offices but there's a company online that sells it called Sentinel Mouthguard Co. 

This is from the website-

If you like to keep your teeth consistently white throughout the year, this is the option for you. When we compare custom fit trays that are made specifically for you to other forms of whitening(crest white strips, white lightening, etc) one can quickly see the short term and long term advantages of using the custom fit trays. You cannot get a more comfortable fit than thin clear trays that are made from your exact dental anatomy. Many people wear these trays while they’re at work interacting with clients & co-workers because they’re so unobtrusive & unnoticeable. Unlike most whitening methods that are only good for one treatment, your custom trays can be used and reused for years. When you run out of gel, simply contact us to order more. Your teeth will stay white year after year. This system gets you the biggest "bang for your buck".

Hope this helps!!

CMiller7

(0) Hearts

This sounds very interesting, but I'm a little confused. on the Zoom! website, it mentions at home treatment but it seems like you still need to visit a dentist to get the trays made, correct? The website does have a link to buy Zoom! Pens - are these pens made to be used with trays or separately?

How did you find out about Zoom? Did it work for you? Thanks! :smileyhappy:

fluffymuha

Yeah, this person obviously works for the company. :smileyvery-happy: *facepalm*

TrysBeautyItems

[ Edited ]

If you're finding sensitivity, use a sensitive toothpaste with treatment, it will help. Ask your dentist about the reusable trays, you put in a certain gel (they should supply), and wear a few hours.

CMiller7

(0) Hearts

Thanks!! I'll look for that. Usually toothpastes don't give me great results, but I haven't tried sensitive toothpastes that are whitening. Do you know how to find a reputable dentist that offers whitening? Mine does not offer it.

TrysBeautyItems

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Also meant if you do use the strips like Crest, use a sensitive toothpaste. One with whitening may be an option with or without the strips :smileyhappy:

As for dentists, they don't sell the trays and gel? Pretty sure mine doesn't use the lights and still sells the trays. They should be able to give a list of dentists in your area and tell you what qualifications to look for (at least mine did for the area I was moving too), also see if yours can recommend someone..or get out the phone book, look them up online - do your research, call ask about whitening - specific questions and compare to who else you talked to/researched. Ask anyone who has good teeth where they go, maybe theirs offers it. If you have insurance, you can get the list on the provider website and then research/call.

newandaddicted

(0) Hearts

I used the crest white strips, they cause sensitivity but I just work through that.  I found if I don't do the WHOLE box just a few days and then lay off for a week and then apply them again the pain isn't THAT bad. (LOL)  

I was told by my dental tech NOT to do the professional whitening.  As it wouldn't make that much of a huge difference for the $$$.  My teeth aren't as white as I would like, BUT I don't smoke and don't drink coffee.  I try to always use a straw when I drink anything with a darker color.

My Granny (RIP) swore by baking soda and peroxide.  I know there were some YTers that were buying whitening gel with a higher peroxide concentration from Amazon.  Their teeth were really white.  

I want the glo system as well, but I have so many other things on my wish list to get first.

prettyinpa

I have a GLO tooth whitening system and find it works better than toothpastes or strips but not as well as a professional dental treatment at the dentist, but it's a lot cheaper. I used one ampoule every couple of days until my teeth were as white as desired, then touch up with one ampoule per month. I didn't get any sensitivity with the GLO system but did with the strips, if that helps. I also use Sqiggle toothpaste which doesn't contain SLS, which seems to make sensitivity worse for me. (Available at dermstore dot com).

RandeeBT

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I agree with prettyinpa! I have not used anything better than the GLO Brilliant Personal Teeth Whitening System! I have tried other teeth whitening things, but they all cause my teeth to become very sensitive. This system does not cause any sensitivity! 

Best,
Randee
CMiller7

Thanks! I've heard about GLO but wanted some opinions on it, since it's a little more of an investment, haha. But if it's worth it, I may check it out!

I don't have sensitivity normally, just when I use certain gels or strips repeatedly or for more than a few days.

fluffymuha

I will second the GLO system. I saw a difference after the first 3 days of using it. It's absolutely fantastic what it can do to your teeth. I would say it's definitely worth the investment, and my teeth are pretty sensitive when it comes to strips- I didn't feel any pain with the GLO.

CMiller7

(0) Hearts

Thanks! How do you use it long term, or does it work long term? I know prettyinpa uses a touchup ampule per month. Is that what you do too?

fluffymuha

Yup. I believe you have to use it for 32 minutes every day for the first 5 days, and then you can do monthly touch ups of just one 32 minute session (?) (if you need them). At least that's what I do! :smileyhappy: I'm planning to repeat the 5-day whitening every 6 months.

jessyiniowa

Ooh happy to hear this! I was waffling on buying the special summer GLO kit (same price as the regular one but more items) and now I think I'm going to bite the bullet and do it!

andyhtrieu

(0) Hearts

Someone recommended GLO to me too and I really want to try it :smileyhappy:

andyhtrieu

I feel like nothing works. I tried the whitening strips, but my teeth got sensitive after two to three uses. The tooth pastes don't seem to make a difference either. My only hope is photoshop.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 27 replies
  • 18 hearts
  • 12 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • jessyiniowa
    • TrysBeautyItems
    • newandaddicted
    • HarlemJPN
    • andyhtrieu