sephoraadmin2

Live Nail Q&A with Deborah Lippmann!

[ Edited ]

DEB_Chat.jpg

This chat is now closed. Thank you for your participation!

Discover Deborah Lippmann’s industry secrets for pulling off the perfect manicure! Visit this thread on August 20 between 12-1pm PST to participate in our live Q&A with celebrity manicurist and brand founder Deborah Lippmann. Find out how to choose the right color, create modern designs, and ask a nail question of your own.

Be sure to click "Follow this thread" on the right side of this post to be notified via email when one of your questions is answered.

Explore this brand> http://seph.me/14oU9Hn

KacieLee

Re: Live Nail Q&A with Deborah Lippmann!

What's the best way to remove glittery nail polish without damaging my nails? Often it's very difficult to remove the little glitters at once. 

deborahlippmann

[ Edited ]

I'm seeing several of you asking about proper polish removal especially as it pertains to glitter. We love glitter because it stays on -- and we don't love glitter because, well, it stays on :smileyhappy: I use my Stripper to Go finger mitts when I am removing glitter polish. I slide the mitt on my nail (finger or toe), press it so that the remover in the mitt is touching the entire nail. Then, if there are multiple layers of glitter, I will wrap aluminum foil around them and wait for 4 t0 5 minutes. When I pull the Stripper to Go mitts off, the color will be gone. Then I apply our cuticle oil liberally to the nail. I take another piece of cotton saturated in the Stripper and try to gently pull the glitter towards the tip of the nail. The thing to remember is that the actual glitter isn't lacquer and that is why it doesn't dissolve.

The Stripper To Go Mitts: http://seph.me/1d3gsrb

swfupload_2130295627893752514.jpg

Cuticle Oil:
http://seph.me/1bQkoZp

swfupload_7853422282557174067.jpg

The Stripper™ Polish Remover: http://seph.me/14TPGZh

swfupload_1330326110680436579.jpg

takano

Hi Deborah, I'm very new to this industry and I'm looking forward to checking out your brand! I've only had 2 manicures in my life and am wanting to get more fancy ones done, but I am scared because of some of the horror hygiene stories I've been hearing. What should I look for/ask for when choosing a safe, clean salon for getting my brand-new nail makeover? I do my own nails, but it's nothing fancy and I would like to pamper myself every now and then.

deborahlippmann

(0) Hearts

I think word of mouth is always a good way to begin. Do you have any friends who get weekly manicures? Ask them not only what salon but what technician they see. I would take a quick look around the salon and look at the corners and try to peek into the technicians drawers for cleanliness.

And it's not only pedicure tubs and metal implements that need to be clean. Imagine the person before you has an open sore on her cuticle and the technician will try her best not to touch that open wound with the brushes or droppers that she's using. Sometimes a technician could accidentally touch an open wound and then it can touch you - need I say more?

I also recommend taking your own products with you to a new salon -- as my husband always says, "If it hasn't been with you - you don't know where it's been."

LKuhle

What are your tips to keep your manicure from chipping? I'll spend time doing my nails, but then the very next day they're already showing signs of wear. After two, it wasn't even worth painting them in the first place. I use a top coat, but any other tips? Thanks :smileyhappy:

angellightstar

Hi Deborah!

My nails split, have small ridges and sometimes peel. I take a biotin supplement for hair and nails that has helped, but I still have

nail problems. Every time I use nail polish it destroys the nail and I have to start over to rebuild them, sans polish.

Is there anything I can do?

I would love to try your beautiful nail colors.

Katherinek312

Hi Deborah,

I find it so interesting that you used to be a nail biter.  As someone who is trying to kick the nail biting habit, I would love to hear your advice on how to stop.  What nail regimen do you suggest for someone who is trying to grow long, strong nails? Do you recommend weekly manicures as a motivational "treat"?  Thank you so much!

deborahlippmann

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I am so glad you asked that question. I think that a lot of nail biters have the mentality that they will stop biting their nails and when they get some length they will reward themselves with manicures. I recommend following my steps to a healthy at home manicure now. It will be great for you to learn how to take care of your nails and when you go to treat yourself to a manicure you will be able to know whats right and wrong for you.

See the steps to a healthy at home manicure in my video on Sephora.com> http://seph.me/13DzgdA

dnikki

How do you stop and prevent nails from peeling?

deborahlippmann

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Good question! What do you think the condition of your skin is if your nose is peeling? It's dry and thirsty. With journals its the same idea. I recommend getting more moisture into your cuticles and massaging it in. Try using our Hard Rock base and top coat. Finally, be cautious about how you file your nails. When you file the tip in a "sawing" motion, you can cause the tips of your nails to peel. You can transform them to healthy nails :smileyhappy:

Hard Rock Hydrating Hardener: http://seph.me/1dpWTrV

swfupload_6266094779868912933.jpg

glossyguru

Hey Deborah, my cuticles are out of control! What do your suggest to do to get them back on track?

deborahlippmann

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

When the going gets rough, reach for our CUTICLE REMOVER, an exfoliating . It gently loosens and removes dead or dry skin in the cuticle area to maintain healthy nails.

Apply cuticle remover anywhere the skin meets the nail. Take my cuticle pusher and take your time pushing the skin back away from the nail. You should move the pusher around the full cuticle area until you the skin is totally pliable and the pusher doesn't catch on the nail anywhere.

The luxurious formula works fast, absorbs quickly and never leaves hands slick. Hold dropper two inches above nail, gently squeeze a tiny drop on each nail and massage in. Always use after CUTICLE REMOVER and as often as needed. Wipe it clean with a towel or a piece of cotton. If you have any tiny pieces of skin with one end not attached you can use a cuticle nipper to gently trim only the skin that is lifted.

Cuticle Remover: http://seph.me/170r5Fd

swfupload_813338999821652634.jpg

Laella

hi deborah, how did you find a lab to manufacture your nail polish?

deborahlippmann

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

It wasnt easy. I did a lot of research and asked a lot of questions. I never stop asking questions-- I'm kind of like a 4 year old that way :smileyhappy:

donnadelrey

Hey there gorgeous. I love your products and I am SO excited to have them at Sephora soon. 

You should make a bunch of little sets of your polish because many ladies love those!

-Donna

Sephora Makeup Artist

P.s. You should have events too and visit my store in Kennesaw, Ga! I have a ton of polish clients! <3

deborahlippmann

(0) Hearts

Thanks so much Donna - I hear you and we have some exciting things coming your way. I hope you and your polish clients will be as excited as I am to share them with you.

Our Wicked 10th Anniversary Limited edition Collection is launching on Sephora.com on 9/17 and contains 3 Mini Nail Polishes: Popular, Defying Gravity, and One Short Day.

Launching in a few weeks, Sephora's Exclusive Best of Both Worlds Set contains She Bop (Created exclusively for Sephora) and our best-seller Happy Birthday Nail Polish.

eynat

Hi Debora,

I have very thin nails that break easily. I take biotin and use nail strengthener. Is there something else that I can do to strengthen my nails?

deborahlippmann

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

The matrix of the nail is just below the cuticle. The action of massaging our cuticle oil and our Rich Girl into the matrix twice a day stimulates nail growth. Use our Hard Rock as your base coat and again as your top coat. Then add one layer of our Hard Rock daily on top of your nail color until you are ready to have another manicure and begin the process again.

Cuticle Oil: http://seph.me/1bQkoZp

swfupload_6803073211702613230.jpg

Hard Rock Hydrating Hardener: http://seph.me/1dpWTrV

swfupload_233342452968469275.jpg

lylysa

Hi, Deborah!

What celebrity collaboration has been your favorite, be it because of the shade produced or just the experience in working with the star? Have there been any collaborations that took you completely for a surprise or loop, if so, which ones?

deborahlippmann

[ Edited ]

Just like its hard for me to have a 'favorite' color I usually say that my favorite shade is the one I'm wearing-- My favorite collaboration of the moment is the one that just launched -- Stronger with Kelly Clarkson, a tenacious Vivacious Violet.

As we started developing this shade we had no plan for it to contain those gorgeous holographic glitters. Every collaboration is a creative PROCESS == and I love being open to see where they can go :smileyhappy:

Stronger: http://seph.me/19vPRPQ

swfupload_5048419784981308263.jpg

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 61 replies
  • 87 hearts
  • 31 in conversation
    • lissay
    • mskatkong
    • lovexmeruhen
    • honeyfluff