Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Trending at Sephora
|

Live Chat with K-Beauty Expert Alicia Yoon!

K-BEAUTY-SOCIAL_100115-beauty-talk_HANDOFF.jpg

This chat is now closed. Thank you for your participation! 

Ride the wave of K-Beauty products hitting the States. Visit this thread on October 14 from 12 to 1pm PDT to participate in our live Q&A with Alicia Yoon, founder of Peach & Lily. Ask her a beauty question—from the best trends to try to what makes an essence so special.

Be sure to click "Follow this thread" on the right side of this post to be notified via email when one of your questions is answered.

Re: Live Chat with K-Beauty Expert Alicia Yoon!

since the raw essence you use has alcohol, does it dry your skin? I am worried with already dry skin using a toner and essence with alcohol would dry my skin out.

Hi there! It's very hydrating and nourishing - I have dry skin, but it works really well for me. However, if you react poorly to alcohol, try the belif Hungarian Water Essence! Hope that helps. xx

http://www.sephora.com/hungarian-water-essence-P394633?

Hi Alicia, I know that K-beauty Routines are often fairly extensive in the number of steps and products used.  if you had to limit your routine to only ONE type of product, what would be your can't live without item?

Hi there! SUCH a hard question to answer. For me, it would be sheet masks, then. After proper cleansing and toning, an intensively hydrating sheet mask that's also nourishing, can leave skin super supple, hydrated and plump. I like that you do get instant results, and with frequent use, you start seeing that healthy glow. Love the Dr. Jart sheet masks! Hope this helps! xx

Hi, 

Do you have any recommendations on facial cleaners that treats acne or growing acne? Also, I am looking for a lotion/ face cream that has SPF and it's nongreasy. I have sensitive and combination skin type. My face usually becomes oily throughout the day.Thanks!

Hello! It really depends on the type of acne, but I highly recommend cleansing in a way that doesn't strip your skin dry (can worsen acne and weaken the skin barrier, which can cause more acne) and starting with an oil-based cleanser like the Erborian Cleansing Oil that can gently remove oil-based impurities. The Tatcha Camelia Cleansing Oil is also a great one. I would then follow-up with a gentle water-based cleanser. I'm personally a big fan of the Jurlique Advanced Recovery Antioxidant Cleansing Mousse for this next step. I really like the Kate Somerville Oil Free Moisturizer and it's not greasy at all! The Murad Essential C Day Moisturizer is relatively lightweight and has SPF. Hope this helps! xx

Hello everyone! I'm excited to spend this next hour with you all and discuss the world of Korean beauty with everyone. I'm the Founder & CEO of Peach and Lily - a website that retails the best in Korean beauty. It's so exciting to partner with Sephora to bring some of those best Korean beauty gems to Sephora's stores and community! I grew up in Korea before moving to the US for college (a long time ago now!), and go back to Korea every 6-8 weeks on average to stay on top of everything that's going on there. Hopefully, my insights from on-the-ground research and curation in Korea will be helpful for you all. x- Alicia

Hi Alicia!! Hopefully you can answer my questions!

ive been obsessed with the routine since reading an article you were in

since the raw essence you use has alcohol, does it dry your skin? I am worried with already dry skin using a toner and essence with alcohol would dry my skin out.

Hi there, thanks for dropping by to chat! I have dry skin and it doesn't dry me out at all. The belif Hungarian Water Essence is another option, if you react poorly to alcohol. Hope that helps! xx

http://www.sephora.com/hungarian-water-essence-P394633

Hi Alicia.

I have a terrible case of skin discoloration due to acne for many years. I've tried many brightening products, but there's still a ton of redness and other blemishes. Do you have any product recommendations for my complexion? Thanks.

Hi Alicia- I'm so excited to see Sephora delving into k- beauty and not only brands, but the concept as well. Can you tell me a little more about essences? I'm really interested in adding an essence in my skincare routine. I have dry skin but have been managing to keep it hydrated and sift through a lot of attention. I've heard great things in essences making the skin brighter and minimize pores and would really like to add this in my routine.

also, what's your favorite product? It can be a mask, cleanser, moisturizer or anything! I'm a skincare junkie & love to try new skincare items!

Hello! Thanks for dropping by to chat! I agree, it's so wonderful to see Sephora getting into K-beauty! Sure, would love to share more about essences. Essences are formulated to boost hydration which creates a healthier skin environment, prepping skin to absorb active ingredient-rich serums. They basically help you help your skin help itself by improving the efficacy of any products that you apply following the essence. I went to esthetician school in Korea when I was a teenager, and I still remember my teacher telling me that your skin is like a sponge. When it's not well hydrated, it's brittle like a sponge and cracks more easily if and when moved around. Like a sponge, your dehydrated skin is much more vulnerable due to a weakened skin barrier. A weak skin barrier lets moisture escape the skin more easily, causing skin to become (1) even more dehydrated and (2) a welcome mat for bacteria (read: more prone to breakouts). Conversely, like a sponge when well-hydrated, other liquids absorb more easily and the skin becomes more resilient.

LOVE that Sephora has Essences in their K-beauty campaign. One of my all-time favorites is the May Coop Raw Sauce - aside from the amazing scent, the raw sauce has a unique formulation featuring maple tree sap which is super absorbable into the skin barrier and filled with great antioxidants. Your skin is immediately more supple and well nourished, allowing your skin to drink in serums with incredible ease. Love it.

I'm also a huge fan of the Caolion pore packs. I've tried my share of wash-off masks and pore-related products, and these are truly unique and they work!

The product that tops it all for me, though, is pure argan oil. I have bone dry skin and I mix argan oil into everything and use it all over my body. And a close second would be an essence. I see a huge difference when I use an essence and when I don't. Everything just soaks in after I have essence on, and my skin is visibly more hydrated.

Hope this helps! xx

http://www.sephora.com/raw-sauce-P398843?

http://www.sephora.com/premium-hot-cool-pore-pack-duo-P399965?

http://www.sephora.com/100-percent-pure-argan-oil-P218700?

Hi Alicia and welcome to BT! I have just started getting into K-beauty this year and love so many of the products I have tried. I have incredibly sensitive/ acne (hormonal) prone skin. What gentle but effective products would you recommend to blast breakouts while keeping the skin hydrated?  Thanks in advance!

Also and insight on Manuka as an effective ingredient for acne?

Hello! Thanks so much for the note and question! I would say that Dr. Jart's ceramidin line could be great for you because it works to make the skin barrier stronger, which can help keep bacteria out and keep acne at bay. I would also say that Tatcha Luminous Deep Hydration Firming Serum could be great to keep you really well hydrated (which could also help with the breakouts) and Tatcha is formulated so beautifully and gently, in general. Interesting question on the Manuka! It's known to have anti-inflammatory properties, so it can help reduce the appearance of acne, and some say that it does help to keep acne at bay. Worth a try, especially as a spot treatment to see how it goes for you! Hope that was helpful! xx

http://www.sephora.com/luminous-deep-hydration-firming-serum-P399624?

Hi Alicia!

So I have oily skin that's dehydrated underneath and I need to change my skin regimen for the fall/winter. I live in East so it gets pretty cold in winter. Do you have any suggestion from cleanser to cream? I've seen the Korean beauty regimen kit for oily skin on Peach and Lily website and debating to go with it. Right now I use mix of Belif, Kiehl's and Caudalie products. I want enough coverage without drying out my skin though at the same time, I don't want my pores to clog or get enlarged. 

Also, since I have oily skin, should I avoid using any products with oil in it? And what are your thoughts on natural ingredients and free-mineral oil, etc. Would they be able to cover all the troubles we are trying to stop/fix?

Thanks Alicia!!!

You mentioned in an article using hydrolyzed marine collagen, what brand or product do you use?

Hi there! Thanks for the question. I was referring to the Mizon Collagen 100 serum! Hope that helps. xx

Hi Alicia, 

I'm really interested in what essence is and does for the skin. I'm in my mid 30's now and I'm starting to see some fine lines, which are ok, but I want to keep my skin smooth and dewy. I'm also noticing that I'm breaking out more around my chin if you have an recommendations for products to try for this. Can you recommend some products for this? I'm using Belief moisturizing and eye firming cream and really love how it feels. 

Thank you!

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions!  What would you recommend as a treatment for very dry skin with rosacea, and fine lines on the forehead?

Hi Alicia!!

Omg so excited to have this opportunity to ask you questions!

I am Korean, but new to Korean products. I have fallen in looooove with the snail cream but I am still having trouble with oily t zone and not acne but bumps on my forehead. I exfoliate weekly, mosturize with the snail creme, night cream, hands off face, eat healthy, etc. But am still experiencing those problems. What products/routine would you recommend??

Thanks!!

Photos1
  • K-BEAUTY-SOCIAL_100115-beauty-talk_HANDOFF.jpg
testing