AMWord

Lipsticks for Redheads

bam.jpg

Ok ladies and gents, I'm a natural redhead. I have always kind of feared lipsticks. I look very overdone in them. HOWEVER, I LOVE them. I LOVE LOVE LOVE lipstick. I just can't seem to love one on me yet. My favorite so far has been Maybelline color whisper in Orange Attitude. I have a Brick Red from Elizabeth Arden that is.... MEH... I have a Laura Mercier-- which I can't recall the name cause I lost it... but it was ok. Kind of like a Mauve color.

I would like to invest into a cruelty free lipstick.

I'm thinking NARS.

You think I could get away with Heat Wave? I'm fair, natural gingery red, minimal freckles with a neutral undertone that may lean a little warm/ ye

llow.

What do you think?

Ps. I'm wearing Orange Attitude in that pic, however it looks a little pink/peach in that photo.

AMWord

Re: Lipsticks for Redheads

(0) Hearts

I have to get around to trying JFR! Anastasia Strawburn is my holy grail of brow fillers. I'm gonna have to get to Sephora soon! It's just an hour drive w/o traffic!! :smileysad:

Could be worse I guess.

wingatprsct

[ Edited ]

You are lovely, by the way! Such a sweet smile!  I can say that because I'm old enough to be your mother.

penelopepuffman

(0) Hearts

I have red hair too. I love the VIB ROUGE red that is exclusive for vibs. 28$

wingatprsct

[ Edited ]

I'm a red-head with coloring similar to yours.  Some of my favorite lipsticks are Smashbox Be Legendary Lipstick in Chai and Honey and Smashbox Limitless Long Wear Lip Gloss in Eternity.  I also love Make Up Forever's Aqua Rouge in #4 Chestnut for the wintertime.  I have a few other favorites but they are discontinued shades.  For something to throw on my lips on lazy makeup days, I love Laura Mercier Hydra Tint SPF 15 in Bronze Tint.  I tend to wear medium intensity shades with little or no pink.  I also try to stay away from the dark brown shades, but I do love an intense rust or terracotta red for going out on the town.  I haven't found a good red yet.Smashbox - Be Legendary LipstickSmashbox - Be Legendary LipstickSmashbox - Limitless Long Wear Lip GlossMAKE UP FOR EVER - Aqua Rouge

Laura Mercier - HydraTint SPF 1525815_101055336596759_1048138_n.jpg

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

Great Choices!

neko333

I like your choices 

wingatprsct

Thanks!  They all look pretty similar on the computer but are actually quite different in reality.  I think their intensity is probably similar.  My lips are fairly colorless and I need some color to counter-balance the intensity of my hair.  It is about finding the right balance...not too bright or pale.  I look for colors that blend with my overall color for a more natural look.

I have been tempted to try JFR lipsticks.  I would like to order one of their samplers.

neko333

My lips are really pink already. I do hate in the winter time when they get wind burnt. It looks like I have had injections in my lips and constantly have red lip stuff on. 

They offer the samplers free sometimes with a purchase. I've gotten several free ones! They last a long time. They changed the packaging though I think. The ones I have all have a vitamin E lip moisturizer, but the new ones have lip brushes. Which is probably more convenient.

I buy their mascara, it's natural looking and the effect is pretty amazing and natural. My favorite is the Voyage. I want to try their brow stuff  because it's such a pain to get the right color. 

If you sign up for their news letter they give you codes and stuff. I order when they have free shipping ones. 

wingatprsct

I ordered their brow powder once and it wasn't the right shade.  I then found Anastasia's Brow Powder in Strawburn which I love, but it has already been reformulated to a different shade.  I may have to try JFR again when I run out.  I've been tempted to try their mascaras.  I wear a Sephora mascara in brown and it works for me.  I'll check out their newsletters.  Thanks!

neko333

(0) Hearts

Have you tried Just for redheads lip sticks. I have gotten several of their samplers as free gifts and most of the colors in them work for me (probably because they are specifically designed for us).

I get the whole thing with looking overdone. I'm also a redhead. I have copper hair with streaks of natural blonde and really white skin. My hair's so bright and my skin so pale that lipstick just stands out (and not always in a good way). 

I find myself running and grabbing lots of brown colors for this reason. I do sometimes wear corals and darker pinks. Lots of people say lighter colors like pale pink look great on redheads but I just look washed out. It seems to be all about finding a balance of not overly bright or pale. 

AMWord

Do you think Nars Dolce Vita may be better for fall?

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

I think Dolce Vita,Russian Doll, and Niagara would all be great picks for you.

AMWord

i decided to go with Dolce Vita before I plunge for Heat Wave. Thanks! :-)

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

I think you'll like that better especially with Fall. And your welcome!:smileywink:

miabt

Hi AMWord,

I think you pull off the orange really well!  I dont think you'd have any problem rockin the NARS Heatwave :smileyhappy:  I love that it is a semi-matte, which will still give you dimension with your lips & it will look radiant with your hair :smileywink:  If anything, visit your local Sephora & play around with some colors to see which ones you like best.

xo, Mia

starletta8

The last part of Mia's advice is my favorite part of Sephora.

Lipstick is tricky, especially if you're a super pale person like me with insanely pigmented lips.  I have to fully investigate every lip purchase.

And redheads can wear anything they darn well please!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 16 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • neko333
    • beautylovingirl
    • miabt
    • starletta8
    • wingatprsct
    • penelopepuffman