emmarip

Lipstick problems

I recently bought 3 new lipsticks, a Tarte Lipsurgence, a new Urban Decay revolution and Stila Color Balm. Before buying, I tried on several at Sephora. Since then my lips have been cracking at the edges. At first, I thought maybe a cold sore after trying on so many lipsticks. But it keeps going & coming back. Now I'm wondering if one of my new lipsticks is too drying and how to prevent the cracking. Any advice is appreciated!

poshified

Re: Lipstick problems

If you don't mind using your fingers to apply lip balm before lipstick, I recommend Rosebud Salve. Shimmer and glitter in lipsticks tend to irritate most people's lips :smileyhappy:

roxystar4

I have cracking too and some lipsticks cause rashes on my lips.

Long wear lipsticks are a "no-no" for me. Also, I do test runs for all my lippies.  If i get a new one I wear it for 48 hours (I do use a very natural lip balm during this time, but NO mixing lipgloss or other lipstick colors).  I also agree with lylysa about letting the lip balm sink in first and then applying the lipstick.

Also, I try to exfoliate my lips at night and apply a very thick coat of lip balm. I prefer all natural lip balms (Badger and Love & Toast).

Hope this helps.  

Crazy, but I have had ZERO irritation with Maybelline Colorscensational lipsticks.

poshified

I really wanted Hourglass' Rouge Liquid Lipsticks to work, but the long wear formula was too much!

DoctorsMrs

Have you tried the YSL Glossy Stain?

poshified

They're okay but certainly not worth the price tag. I do still see my lips peeling at the end of the day :-\

DoctorsMrs

That's what I thought. Thanks for sacrificing yourself to the cause so I don't have to :smileyhappy:

poshified

(0) Hearts

Anytime, anytime! :smileyvery-happy:

dianabt

@poshified I had the same experience using the long wear lipsticks from MUFE with the double ended cream color and gloss :smileysad: So sad! I have yet to find a brand with the duo sides that doesn't bother me.

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
poshified

(0) Hearts

I know exactly the ones you're talking about! I've never had good experiences with double ended lipstick/lipgloss duos either because I find that I go through the gloss end so much faster! haha

invisiblebike

Yep, it's definitely the peppermint oil in Lipsurgence! It's an irritant and pretty bad for you :smileysad:

Definitely avoid any lip "plumping" products too. Those all include peppermint oil and other irritants, which will have the same unfortunate side effects.

DoctorsMrs

@emmarip-- my lips are really sensitive and I'm just fine with the new UD Revolution. Good Luck

emmarip

Thanks ladies!  It's not a normal issue for me.  Yesterday, I had on the Stila Color Balm, which I believe has peppermint oil in it as well.  Last night is when I started breaking out again, so I bet your right about the peppermint lip oil.  I only apply one at a time, but have been alternating which I used based on my mood/colors I am wearing.  I tried applying lip balm under all of them, (using Sugar lip treatment and another time Carmex) but both made my lipstick wear off almost immediately, which kinda defeated why I invested in the more expensive lipsticks.  Hopefully it's not the new Urban Decay ones, I'm really liking those! 

lylysa

Let your lip balm soak into lips for about 2-5 minutes before applying lipstick. Your lips should feel moisturized but not slick or slippery like it's coated with product. I like taking a balm and patting it onto lips rather than swiping if I don't have as much time to wait.

I know the JB and Anthony Logistics balms mentioned in the link from my last post do have mint infused formulas, but they also have other scents/flavors without mint.

melde

Like a few other people mentioned, my lips also had a terrible reaction to the Tarte Lipsurgence (but I have a friend who loves them). Once your lips are better, try wearing the other two for a few days each to see if they are okay for you!

dianabt

I agree, the Tarte lipsurgence was a bit too drying for me :smileysad: Try the Clinique High Intensity chubby sticks! Colorful, high shine and moisturizing all at once, they're great!

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
melde

(0) Hearts

Yes, I love those too!!

drrragon

It's possible the peppermint in your Tarte Lipsurgence is the culprit too.  It can irritate and dry out your lips.  Why not only use one lippie at a time, that way you'd know for sure which one (if any) is the culprit.

poshified

I thought I had received a dud from Tarte with the Lipsurgence, but after having gone through all five Lipsurgences from one holiday lip kit Tarte had offered, I knew it wasn't me.

LindaDD

The Stila Color Balm contains peppermint oil as well.

It could be that you're allergic to something in one of the products. I second drrragon's suggestion that you try them one at a time to see what happens.

DoctorsMrs

Tarte Lipsurgence burns and peels my lips like crazy. As Drrragon said, I've always assumed it's the peppermint.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 37 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • dianabt
    • drrragon
    • poshified
    • lylysa
    • roxystar4
    • invisiblebike