mpolansky

Lip Liner - What the heck do you do with it!?

Ok so I'm clearly a newbie to lip liners... I know nothing! All you beauty addicts need to help me with the basics! How do you apply, what tips should I know, and what are your favorites?!

I love the new Urban Decay lipstick (especially the shade Naked!) and saw they had matching lip liners and a clear one as well. Anyone tried these? Do they make that big of a difference? Or is there a better brand I should look at?

aviscardi

Re: Lip Liner - What the heck do you do with it!?

(0) Hearts

I use to be so anti lip liners, like why do people need so many different colors?! ;p. But as i started getting into lipstick i find it very useful. I use them to literally just line/ and or fill them in. I don't over draw them or anything like that. but I like that i can get a really sharp point at my cupids bow for the shape i want. Instead of struggling with lipstick. Plus it makes it last longer. 

AshOtto

(0) Hearts

Im a newbie to lip liners as well...mehh lol. Does anyone own BOTH lip liners and reverse liners? Do you like one over the other?  

keelybt

@AshOtto  I own both and find both equally useful. I probably use regular lip liner more often, but if I'm wearing a red I definitely use my reverse liner to make sure it stays in place. :smileyhappy:

aviscardi

(0) Hearts

which do you use? im thinking about trying my rimmel nude liner to clean up the edges for any lipstick. but it might be too light. I much prefer the stila topaz kajal for my waterline so the rimmel doesn't really get used. 

keelybt

(0) Hearts

@Aviscardi I like the MAKE UP FOR EVER Lip Line Perfector. It is a waxy consistency, so it forms a barrier and your color really can't move and it is great for cleaning up the edges.

http://www.sephora.com/lip-line-perfector-P292402?skuId=1354083

mpolansky

(0) Hearts

@KeelyBT have you tried the UD lip liner in Ozone? ...if so how does it compare to the MUFE one? They seem similar but if one wins over the other I'd love to know!

keelybt

@Mpolansky No I haven't but I know it works the same way.  The most important aspect is the waxy texture which it does have :smileyhappy:

aviscardi

(0) Hearts

So is it better than using a nude. Will the wax from the clear liner lift the lipstick to clean it up the same way?

mpolansky

(0) Hearts

Awesome thank you!

tashalicious

(0) Hearts

you can create the illusion of fuller lips if you line the outer edge of your lips and then fill in with lipstick.

mpolansky

(0) Hearts

Update: Just purchased Urban Decay's new lip liner in Venom and the matching Revolution Lipstick in Venom. They seem like a beautiful fall color so I'm excited to wear them. Thanks for everyone who added tips! Next on my buy list is the clear anti-feathering lip liners.

glossyguru

(0) Hearts

I'd definitely go for the Urban Decay lip liners! There's a few more that I'm eyeing right now... Only a few days of my no buy left...

mpolansky

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Aw you can do it :smileyhappy: I did a no buy in July... and boy was that hard. I'm really impressed! It takes lots of willpower to go on a no buy. But thanks for your help on the UD liners!

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

I think you would be fine to use the Urban Decay liners. I haven't tried those in paticular but lip liners make a big difference as far as application and staying power of your lip stains and lipsticks. When  I apply mine I turn it to the side and just buff it on my lips because you don't want it too heavy. And WAA LAA~~~ Apply your lipstick and your GORGWA and ready to go.

mpolansky

You make it sound so easy! Guess I'll pick one or two up and start playing around with them. Thanks :smileyhappy:

beautylovingirl

[ Edited ]

All of us are always here to help if you don't get how to do something just ask it's what we love to do:smileyhappy:

mpolansky

exactly why I asked here... I knew I would get the best (and most honest) feedback!

BeautyJunkie325

I clearance reverse liner like kimcheekween most of the time.  I have a few darker shades (red/burgundy) that I use a matching lip liner in order for the color to last longer.  However I'm with malady, you have to be careful that the liner and lip colors are a match.  The new UD Revolution lip colors and liners are great.  

mpolansky

Thank you!!! 

invisiblebike

[ Edited ]

There also anti-feathering lip liners on the market where you LINE outside of your lips in order to prevent feathering. These products are clear and waxy. I've actually been using the Anastasia Brow Fix (yup, it's a double duty product) for this lately :smileyhappy:

swfupload_6019769598339607559.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/brow-fix-P173317?skuId=975334

The MUFE lip line perfector is also a great option.

swfupload_6168780732020033814.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/lip-line-perfector-P292402?skuId=1354083

That way you don't have to worry about being matchy matchy with your liner and lipstick or acquiring a bunch of different shades to correspond with your lipstick collection.

One tip: These pencils tend to be soft and waxt and need frequent sharpening. In order to prevent product loss, firm it up by popping it into the fridge for a few minutes before sharpening!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 31 replies
  • 18 hearts
  • 13 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • malday
    • aviscardi
    • BeautyJunkie325
    • invisiblebike
    • beautylovingirl