Kristen0413

Life's a beach... mattifying everything with spf?

Hi there...  I'm going to be spending a week on the beach with friends (yay!) and want to still look cute, but without makeup melting off my face in the sun- I tend to have oily/fair skin, prone to breakouts.  Any suggestions for spf products that will give light, mattifying coverage? 

zeldahime

Re: Life's a beach... mattifying everything with spf?

(0) Hearts

If you are looking for a separate SPF product that will dry down matte and fast I highly rec Shiseido's liquid SPFs. They come in a few different strengths and are the mattest sunscreens I ever came across. 

Plus for me, out of all the sunscreens I ever tried, these irritated my skin the least. My skin hates sunscreens with a passion so much I gave up on it.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Are you planning to wear make up to the beach (foundation, powder, blush, etc.) to where you want a sunscreen to apply over it or are you just wanting a good sunscreen product to use whether or not you have make up on?

If you're going to be going in and out of water with full make up on, it's not sunscreen that will keep product from melting.

Look into long wear, water resistant, water proof formulas like MUFE's Face & Body foundation, Urban Decay's Cannon Ball Mascara, Urban Decay/MUFE's water proof eye liner pencils (creamy enough to also be smudged on as shadows), and lip/cheek stains from Tarte and Stila.

Honestly, less is more in this case, as who wants to be worrying about products fading/wearing off left and right when you're trying to enjoy time at the beach?

La Roche Posay makes excellent sunscreens that are packed with skin-loving and beneficial ingredients. The formulas are light weight and fluid-like and don't feel greasy or leave a shine. 

I say skip foundation/complexion products while at the beach (maybe carry a tinted moisturizer or BB cream and apply it after wrapping things up and maybe heading to food or activities off the beach), add a touch of cheek stain (light enough to where if it does fade it won't be so tell-tale), a coat of water proof mascara, and lipstain if you choose. Keep some liners and lip balm handy, apply the liners when you're wrapped up and use the lip balm throughout the day, a bigger plus if it has SPF as well.

Peter Thomas Roth makes an excellent powdered, mineral based SPF powder that comes in a brush applicator so you can just sweep it onto skin to absorb moisture and get added SPF coverage.

http://www.sephora.com/instant-mineral-powder-spf-45-P235908?skuId=1165737

http://www.sephora.com/oily-problem-skin-instant-mineral-powder-spf-30-P235909?skuId=1165844

There are two available, one regular and one for oily skin.

Still keep a bottle of SPF handy (sunscreen should be reapplied at least every 120 minutes in the sun and at least 90 minutes if you're frequently in and out of water, even if it's a "water proof/resistant" formula). 

janinebt

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Hi Kristen0413,

Smashbox's Camera Ready BB cream sounds PERFECT for your day on the beach it has SPF, mattifying properties, and will give you light coverage. I would recommend still using a primer with it for optimal results. Since you are going to be in the sun all day I would recommend something that is hydrating. like Laura Mercier's Oil Free Primer:

Smashbox - Camera Ready BB Cream SPF 35Laura Mercier - Foundation Primer - Oil Free

Whimsically yours,
Janine
Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 hearts
  • 4 in conversation
    • janinebt
    • lylysa
    • zeldahime
    • Kristen0413