ISO mid-afternoon pick-me-up!

Here's some background info: I live in the DEEP south (hot, humid, yucky) and I run a daycare out of my home. I don't wear makeup on days I have kids, but instead opt for Tarte BB cream with SPF (I have lupus and am very allergic to the sun). I go outdoors usually atleast once daily to play, and usually sweat on my face during rigorous chores or active play. I am finding that by mid-afternoon, my face feels dirty and cakey. I use some MAC wipes to wipe it clean, but then have no SPF for afternoon play. If I go to reapply, my face feels too thick, greasy, oily. The MAC wipes work great in the evening, but I am thinking I need to nix them from my afternoon routine. I like the Tarte BB cream texture on my oily skin, but am open to other options; I like the fact that it's tinted so I at least LOOK like I might have put makeup on. Basically, I'm looking for a routine revamp! Maybe some kind of spray toner to help get that clean feel in the afternoons? Or are there better options for SPF coverage? My skin breaks out and gets thick, oily feeling easily. Please help!

More info on other products I've tried:

Clinique BB cream was awful!!! Was thick and got cakey as soon as I started sweating.

Clinique Even Better Dark Spot Corrector is a great, light consistancy that feels great- no heavy, oily feeling. But it has no SPF

The Clinique Even Better Skin Tone Correcting Moisturizer on the other hand has SPF but gives my face that thick, oily, greasy feel. The Clinique Redness Solutions Daily Relief cream has the same effect.

Re: ISO mid-afternoon pick-me-up!

(0) Hearts

Hi ArmyWifeJ,

Are you setting your Tarte BB Cream with any sort of powder? If not, I would definitely recommending adding a lightweight powder to your makeup routine. I really love Tarte's Powderful Amazonian Clay Pressed Mineral Powder. Using a powder on top of the BB Cream will help everything last a lot longer.

I would also recommend using the Boscia Blotting Linens a few times throughout the day to touch up. They take less than a minute to use and really help absorb excess oil and my skin look and feel very fresh. Smiley Happy

(0) Hearts

So it sound like your BB is only lasting you half the day. That stinks. Have you considered using a setting spray like Urban Decay All Nighter or Kat Von D? Maybe then you won't have to remove your face at lunch time. I'd also check out some mineral sunscreens that you can brush over your face like Peter Thomas Roth Instant Mineral Powder SPF 45 or Colorscience Sunforgettable SPF 30. Both come with a built-in brush making reapplication a breeze.

I would suggest changing up your afternoon cleansing method if you have no issues with the Tarte BB (aside from how it feels after using the MAC wipes).

To keep in line with something gentle yet effective at cleansing to give a refreshed feeling to skin, try Koh Gen Do's Spa Cleansing Water (available in a bottle and in wipe form), this is by far the best cleansing wipe where I've used to remove make up/cleanse skin and NOT feel sticky or grimy afterwards. My skin actually feels refreshed and actually cleansed after using it (plus it's very gentle on the eyes).

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 hearts
  • 4 in conversation