labellavita

I've outgrown Bare Minerals, need help choosing a full coverage foundation. I look awful!

I've used Bare Minerals since not long after it came out. I was satisfied with it for a long time but in the last year or so, I've been thinking I need more coverage. I'm 43, my face looks droopy, I have bags under my eyes and look old and tired all of a sudden. I have forehead wrinkles and am prone to acne breakouts. This morning I was taking a photo of something in my office and accidentally flipped the camera lens around selfie style and almost screamed I looked so awful - and this was just after I finished applying my makeup!

Here are my issues: I have a medium complexion - more light than dark but not fair. I have dark circles under my eyes and purplish/blue  dark areas both under my eyes and in the corner of my eyes/side of my nose. I am prone to acne so am always hesitant to change products (or use moisturizer) but I have GOT to have more coverage. I do wash my face every night and use Philosophy Here Comes the Sun self-tanner to give my face some color - I REALLY look awful without that. I have t-zone oilyness and usually have a super greasy looking forehead shortly after applying my makeup. I  have big dark eyes but I only wear mascara, no eyeshadow or liner, I am going to experiment with my eye makeup to maybe distract from the lines around my mouth and the bags under my eyes but I have no idea where to start with that either. :smileysad: 

I am not getting the coverage my old hag face needs from Bare Minerals, I need something with more coverage. I received a free sample of Bare Minerals new pressed powder foundation and loved the sample and used it all up so I ordered the full size and the new brush that goes with it and it was like a totally different product, did not like it at ALL as it settled into every line and pore on my face.

I am ready to pay whatever it takes to restock my makeup bag with products that will make me look better. Wish I had time to come in to the counter but that is out of the question with my work schedule.

Product suggestions please?

labellavita

Re: I've outgrown Bare Minerals, need help choosing a full coverage foundation. I look awful!

Update!

I ordered both the Kat Von D lock it tattoo foundation and the Tarte Amazonian clay foundation and the Tarte poreless primer.

While I am happy with the Tarte primer, the amazonian foundation does not give me any more coverage than bare minerals did or lets just say two good "coats" of it didn't and I am not willing to just keep caking it on to get coverage. No worries tho, I have a 22 year old daughter who has great skin and doesn't need the coverage. She's a bare minerals girl and since this covers like a liquid version of bare minerals I will give it to her.

While the tarte foundation was a fail for me, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Kat Von D! WOW this is exactly the coverage I've been looking for, it has a matte finish, feels light on my skin and only one thin layer is all I need to get the coverage I've been looking for and it lasts and lasts without settling in the creases of my face by the end of the day. I have found my new makeup! :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:

The tarte primer is sooooo much better than the bare minerals primer I had been using. Yuck, the BM was like putting grease on my face, even using just a pinhead amount, I never liked it but I was a brand buyer who wrongly assumed that all primers were the same. I plan to try the Urban Decay pore perfecting primer next.

I also love the beauty blender sponges, I bought one of the suggested brushes too but just dont know how to make liquid foundation work with a brush no matter how many youtube videos I watch. :smileyhappy:

The only con for me on the Kat foundation is the bottle. It is big and bulky and I'm not sure how well I will be able to get all of the product out of the bottle once I get close to empty but maybe it won't be an issue. I am definitely glad I tried this foundation as this was a brand I would have probably never considered before and now I can't live without it.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions!   

beautylovingirl

Re: I've outgrown Bare Minerals, need help choosing a full coverage foundation. I look awful!

[ Edited ]

I agree with Keely I think Kat Von D is just what your looking for.:smileyhappy: And please don't use Monistat as your primer it's just not made for that.

veronika23

(0) Hearts

I say if you are going to use a liquid foundation find that first then your primer.  I find not all primers work well with all foundations. I had a MUFE primer with a MAC foundation and that combo was awful.  I'd say go to your local Sephora and get a few samples made.  Know which company you want to try first so it will save you some time. That's what I did and ended up with Urban Decay's Naked foundation.  I love it. I also liked Tarte's Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Full Coverage Foundation SPF 15 and MUFE HD Invisible Cover Foundation. A great concealer is MUFE Full Cover Concealer. Hope this helps as well.

SydBristow

Sorry to hear you aren't as happy with your Bare Minerals as you used to be. I'm in the same boat - been using it forever but am looking for more coverage. I have very dry skin so what works for me may not work for you but I thought I would at least mention it in case it helps. I have had luck with the Laura Mercier Silk Cream foundation. For days I want extra coverage I actually use my Bare Minerals over it. I also just ordered Urban Decay Naked Skin Weightless Ultra Def Liquid Makeup.

I have some bad scarring that requires a lot of cover up, so I usually have to lay that down thick in spots before my foundation.

The primer I've used is Smashbox Photo Finish, it sure smooths a lot of stuff out. 

Not sure if this helps. Good luck to you, hope you find something you really love!!

mberteig

Hi,

I agree with the suggestions to use a primer on your face first, there are many different brands, you have to try them until you find one you like.  Ask at your local Sephora for samples.  I like the Sephora brand, Laura Geller Spackle (not sold at Sephora), and a tip from a makeup blog to use Monistat Chafing Relief Powder-Gel Skin Protectant as a primer - this is available from Walmart for under $6 and it works great!

I also like foundation with more coverage, as my nose and chin are red and I want to cover up the redness.  I really like the tarte BB cream, some use it as a primer, but I use it as foundation.  I also like the tarte 12 hour Amazonian clay foundation, the Sephora microsmooth powder (yes, a powder, but I think it covers well and you can wear it by itself or over foundation), Dior nude, and for a drugstore brand, I like the Milani cream to powder foundation.

I use either the beautyblender sponge or the Sephora Pro Flawless Airbrush #56 to apply foundation, both work well.  To apply powder to set foundation, a tip from Wayne Goss is to press it into the sin, don't brush it on top or you will move around and disturb the foundation you just spent time applying perfectly!

Hope this information helps!

labellavita

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the tips, ladies. Yes I am very open to trying liquid foundation and any other non powder type. I will definitely give these productproducts you both suggested a try, I am desperate! I expect to have to go thru some trial and error until I find products I love but I am ready!  What brushes do you recommend for liquid foundations? I have tons of bare mineral powder brushes, haven't used liquid makeup in so many years I have no idea what brushes I need?

keelybt

There are a lot of different foundation brushes out there, but the kind that works best with a full coverage makeup like the Kat Von D is going to be one with a denser, rounded bristle.
Tarte - Airbrush Finish Bamboo Foundation Brush

http://www.sephora.com/airbrush-finish-bamboo-foundation-brush-P302919?skuId=1393628

Urban Decay - Good Karma Optical Blurring Brush

http://www.sephora.com/good-karma-optical-blurring-brush-P374829?skuId=1435056

labellavita

Thanks for the tips, ladies. Yes I am very open to trying liquid foundation and any other non powder type. I will definitely give these productproducts you both suggested a try, I am desperate! I expect to have to go thru some trial and error until I find products I love but I am ready! 

knadala

Use the Tarte Poreless primer.imgres.jpg

It is clear and pearly in consistency so it doesn't conflict with skin color and foundation shades. It doesn't dry up and evaporate, instead in gets into the creases and pores and fills them in so the surface of the skin is even and ready for foundation application.

Next use this foundation by Benefit.Benefit-Hello-Flawless-Oxygen-Wow-Foundation.jpg

It has a lightweight feel with great coverage and unlike powders, liquid wont emphasize lines. Use the foundation lightly at first so you can build your desired coverage without looking cakey.

Set the foundation with a matte translucent powder so it can mattify, perfect, and set everything in place.

keelybt

Hi labellavita  Are you open to trying a liquid foundation?  I think KAT VON D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation would meet many of your needs.  It is great on a combo skin type and really gives full coverage without feeling heavy. A very small amount goes a long way and application is best when buffed into the skin with a brush.

Are you using a foundation primer?  Since you do notice shine soon after you apply your makeup, I would recommend starting with something like the Urban Decay Pore Perfecting Complexion Primer Potion.  It will help minimize pores, lines and help keep your skin matte longer, without making your skin dry.

Kat Von D - Lock-It Tattoo Foundation

http://www.sephora.com/lock-it-tattoo-foundation-P311138?skuId=1398858

Urban Decay - Pore Perfecting Complexion Primer Potion

http://www.sephora.com/pore-perfecting-complexion-primer-potion-P241800?skuId=1435106

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 13 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • mberteig
    • labellavita
    • veronika23
    • beautylovingirl
    • knadala