ashhbeckk

I need help with figuring out my undertone?

[ Edited ]

Every time I go to sephora, ulta, or any other beauty store & ask for help with picking my shade I always get a different answer each time ( and I am always the same ski tones I don't tan) I need help with figuring out my undertone. I have pale skin, but not overly pale.  I have blue veins & my face has a liot of redness making it hard to wear pinK blush. Would this make me neutral undertone? I have foundations  in shades for different brands. naked foundation by urban decay- 3.0 which seems to be a decent match. I also have smashbox  studio skin in shade 1.2 which seems to be a little on the light side for me.  I then have  Kat Von d liquid lock it foundation in light 48 which is decent.  i am so lost at my skintone and it seems to be becoming a problem since it's  Almost looks red in certain lighting even though I don't have any skin problems or acne. So it must be my undertone... Any ideas? I also would like to try the tarte full coverage amazonian clay 12 hour foundation any helps on a shade?

keelybt

Re: I need help with figuring out my undertone?

Hi Ashhbeckk As with most things, undertones run a spectrum and while some people may be clearly warm or cool others can be closer to neutral so it may not be as obvious.  I'm sorry to hear you've gotten different opinions when getting matched. In mu opinion that should be the best way to tell.  I swear my veins look green but I'm definitely a cool undertone.

Redness doesn't necessarily indicate a red undertone as it can be surface redness.  The best way to tell is to swipe of a warm and cool shade from your cheekbone to your jawline and see which stays more neutral on your skin. Even if you are closer to neutral, one should stand out as being more yellow or pink.

Since you have dry skin, I'd recommend Diorskin Nude Skin-Glowing Makeup SPF 15.  The 20 is great for light skin and it has a neutral base so it is pretty versatile. 

I don't find the MUFE HD to be ideal for dry skin.  I love the formula on combo skin, but, since I have dry skin, I mix it with a bit of the Microperfecting Primer to get that same look.  Otherwise it can look a little dry.

swfupload_6546597386853470530.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/diorskin-nude-skin-glowing-makeup-spf-15-P230421?skuId=1443480

DTalksAll

I'm neutral to pink. Neutral works best, I get usually get away with pink, yellow I need to be careful with. Some foundations are heavy on the yellow (like NARS), and they don't work for me. If I look at all my past purchases and the foundations I tried most of them seem to be neutral. 

I also have dry skin. Most long wear & cream to powder foundations are meant for people with oily skin. You can use them as long as you exfoliate & moisturize well before applying. I love the Dior Airflash foundation & the Hourglass Immaculate. Both are long wear, cream to powder, so I add a little oil (well PTR, oilless oil, but I consider it an oil) to my known dry areas before I put primer on.

I tried the Marc Jacobs Genius Gel in store, it has a really nice consistency, not sure on the wear time though.  

If you don't need full coverage, then you might want to look into a BB or CC cream. I love the AmorePacific CC compact. http://www.sephora.com/color-control-cushion-compact-broad-spectrum-spf-50-P378121?skuId=1496496

It provides hydration, evens skin tone (will help hide the redness), is very build-able, and comes with a replacement pack. 

ashhbeckk

(0) Hearts

Thanks everyone. And hmm... I have dry skin as well. Maybe the tarte isn't my best option then.... Any recommendations ?

JenJenz

l just ordered the MUFE HD foundation (also in Ivory) because I've read that it's good for dry skin. I haven't received my order yet so I can't say for sure but I can keep you posted if you want :smileyhappy: 

ashhbeckk

(0) Hearts

Thanks & yes deff let me know what you think! 

JenJenz

(0) Hearts

I am also fairly light with redness on my cheeks. I actually just had to return some of Tarte Amazonian foundation today because I got the wrong shade. I tried the shade Ivory on in store and it seems to be a pretty good match. The only thing is that after a few hours the makeup seemed to settle in and accentuate my fine lines. I also noticed it clings a bit to some dry patches that I have around my nose/chin. This may not be a problem for those with oily/normal complexion but for me this one will probably go back.

melissabt

Hi ashhbeckk,

What type of coverage do you like in a foundation? Light/medium/full and also what type of finish do you like? Satin, matte, dewy? Thanks so much!

<3 Melissa
ashhbeckk

(0) Hearts

I love the finish I get with the smash box studio skin foundation. Although I don't really know what kind of finish you would consider that. I like full coverage, but technically I don't need full coverage. My face is very clear no acne or dark circles. The only type of coverage I need is to neutralize that red undertone. I do get dry spots as well. So nothing that will look crusty or chalky. Thanks so much!

melissabt

Thanks so much for posting that, MermaidBarbie!

It sounds like you might have pink or neutral undertones. If you are unsure neutral is the best because, it has a balance of yellow and pink undertones. 

<3 Melissa
neko333

(0) Hearts

I tried the thing progilbert posted. I just look white, no pink or yellow........I get matched back and forth between the two all the time. 

MermaidBarbie

(0) Hearts

You're probably neutral. Do you have green/blue and purple veins like me?  :smileyhappy:

MermaidBarbie

No problem. :smileyhappy: I think she is cool toned or neutral as well.

MermaidBarbie

[ Edited ]
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 16 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • DTalksAll
    • melissabt
    • neko333
    • MermaidBarbie