OreoAndFez

I have no idea what to pack for traveling?!

I am going to japan for 11 days and I am always unsure of what i will need so I usually end up pack too much or too little. So if someone could make me a list that would suit 11 days (and maybe some product recommendations (: ) it would be super helpful. I don't wear a lot of makeup on the daily, but i do go out at night so I do wear it a little dramatic then. 

RandeeBT

Re: I have no idea what to pack for traveling?!

Hi OreoAndFez!

I recommend only bringing products that you know and love! When I travel, I don't like to bring anything that I have not already used for a while because I like to know that the products that I am bringing won't cause my skin to get irritated or have any adverse reactions!

For skincare:

- Bring a basic moisturizer, you can use both day and night (my favorite moisturizer for this is Clinique's Moisture Surge) 

- SPF for Face and body

- Eye Cream

- Face Wash

- Facial Exfoliator 

For Makeup: 

- Foundation

- Concealer

- Eyeshadow palette with light colors and darker colors you can use to smoke out your eyes for the evening (my favorite for this is the original Naked palette) 

- Eyeshadow Primer

- Mascara

- Eyeliner 

- 1 Blush

- 1 Bronzer (if you wear it)

-  Eyelash curler

- Eyebrow Pencil/Eyebrow powder (if you typically wear it) 

- 2 to 3 lip colors - I like to bring one pink, one nude and one bright color when I travel for some options! :smileyvery-happy: 

Best,
Randee
OreoAndFez

(0) Hearts

Thank you Randee! Another great list that i really appreciate! :smileyhappy:

laura819

(0) Hearts

Due to the crazy humidity there, I would definitely recommend a setting spray. When I studied there, I could be outside for like 5 minutes and already be sweating...and that was toward the end of the humid season. Also keep in mind I think it is still the rainy season there, so waterproof makeup and try to keep your hair pretty natural if you can. I love Japan - so jealous of your trip! Have a fantastic time!!!

OreoAndFez

(0) Hearts

Thank you for the tip! :smileyhappy:

ballerinagrl

(0) Hearts

I travel to Japan regularly for work, and believe me, if you get a chance to go into any of that country's zillion Japanese brand-selling beauty stores, you will find it hard to leave!

Whenever I fly long haul for work, I pack one skincare/make-up kit for the flight, and one skincare and one makeup kit for the stay. For in-flight it is all about moisture rich products in both skincare and make up. For all my work overseas it is about making a capsule collection of the skincare and make up products I will need and use most. While at home I'll use different creams and serums am and pm, but when traveling I try to pack light and choose skincare products I can use day and night. At this time of year I add a factor 50 SPF on my face, hands, and decollate, as even when it's cloudy, the sun can tan you fast (although to be fair I have skin that tans whenever it sees the sun if I don't wear a high factor).  

I wouldn't necessarily think about buying new make up products. You know what you are likely to use most based on your itinerary,  so just take the bare minimum of what you will definitely use. I would highly recommend primer for your eyes and face whenever traveling to Asia, as otherwise make up can slide off in the humidity. Waterproof eye liners and mascara are also useful in the humidity - pencil eyeliner just melts into the skin and turns invisible sadly. You might also find that if you're a blusher person, you'll want to switch to a powder blush for the trip, as gels and cream blushers often wind up drunk by thirsty skin.

BB powder blushers work well in heat, in my experience, as do those from Nars. For face primers it depends on skin type - if oily go for mattifying; every other skin type can pretty much get away with any primer - I'm finding for Asia business trips, Laura Mercier no oil or glow or regular oil formulations are great, Estee Lauder Matte, and Nars Matte, also work pretty well. For eyes I love Benefit's 'Stay Put', as my eye shadow lasts for 12 hours even in Southern India, so it's doing a good job. A lot of people find cream eye shadows work best in Asia, and most Japanese girls I work with use this, but I find powder lasts longer on me if I use the primer.

Hope this helps!

OreoAndFez

(0) Hearts

I have heard of the infamous beauty stores and the "wall of lashes" haha! The only reason why i need product recommendations is because I'm running low on some of my products all ready so I use my annual vacations as an excuse to try new products. But i will try a BB powder, that sounds so interesting. Thank you!

earlgrey222

i see you've already gotten some great replies here but I just wanted to chip in. I was in japan yesterday and stayed there for a week on vacation. Two must haves for me were a lightweight SPF for my face (I recommend benefit or kiehls for a light-weight feel) and a paper fan! You can buy them anywhere in shops on the street and they are such a life saver and makes all the difference. Another thing would be an umbrella-it's humid and very rainy there and recently there has been typhoon weather there. Good luck and have a great time :smileyhappy:

OreoAndFez

(0) Hearts

Good thing I'm in need for a new sunscreen haha! I will definitely check out your recomendatations. Thanks! :smileyhappy: 

heartsmyface

If you stay at Tokyo Stay hotels they have washing machines in room so you can do your own laundry.  That's what I do.  I usually go for two week periods and pack for one week. 2pr Leggings, 2 skirts and 5cute loose tops, and a simple black dress, a cardigan, a rain coat, a cute hat or two and some serious walking shoes cause you'll be walking everywhere! 

Dewy fresh looks are always popular there As are smokey eyes and glossed lips:smileyhappy: 

japan is accessory wonderland so I usually don't pack anything like that so I have lots of room in my luggage. 

OreoAndFez

(0) Hearts

Awesome! thank you for the outfit ideas too!

jemly

[ Edited ]

i've been to japan 6 times and totally feel the too much/not enough conundrum. it is HUMID right now, so keep that in mind, product wise. consider bringing waterproof mascara, for example. 

for the plane i definitely recommend caudalie beauty elixir. spray on board when you're feeling parched. nice to have around as a refresher on a hot day too, and helps with complexion issues that can arise from long plane rides.

my rule when traveling is if it doesn't all fit in one normal-sized makeup bag, then it's not worth bringing. japan has FANTASTIC makeup brands too, so depending on your budget you can make some purchases there. (if you want to know brand recommendations send me a PM i'm happy to give the schpiel !!)

OreoAndFez

(0) Hearts

Thank you this was very helpful! I will definitely be purchasing the Caudalie beauty elixir :smileyhappy:

jemly

(0) Hearts

you're very welcome. feel free to reach out to me if ever needed !

heartsmyface

(0) Hearts

Ouhhhh, a fellow japan traveller!  I go every November but have only started seriously growing my collection of cosmetics recently.  You'll probably be summoned as my guide when I go!  :smileyvery-happy: 

malday

I bought the Smashbox Masters Class Palette III and honestly I think it's great for travel. Comes with a bunch of neutral and bright shadows, three blushes, and a little contour kit. 

OreoAndFez

(0) Hearts

Is it bulky?

malday

(0) Hearts

Imagine bringing a hardcover book with you lol. I wouldn't say it's very bulky but it is a little weighty. 

OreoAndFez

(0) Hearts

Ohh haha. Thank you for the recommendation :smileyhappy:

andyhtrieu

[ Edited ]

I would pack everything that I normally use because I like variety. And you can never bring too much makeup. Gotta be prepared for anything!

So, you need:

SKINCARE

You can't forget about skincare when travelling!

• face wash/cleanser/scrub
  • moisturizer with SPF 30 or higher during the day
  • moisturizer without SPF for the night time
  • eye cream (if you have tired or puffy eyes)
  • primer (only if you have oily skin)

FACE

• 1 or 2 foundations/tinted moisturizers/bb creams/cc creams just to even out your skin tone 
  • concealer that can be used under the eyes and on blemishes
  • setting powder and/or blotting powder to absorb oil and prevent your makeup from moving (essential if you don't want to redo your entire face
  • bronzer (use at night if you think it would be too much during the day)
  • highlighter (again, use it at night)
  • cream and powder blush. layering them will increase its longevity

EYES

• eyebrow pencil or powder and a spoolie
  • eye primer (the NARS eye primer is phenomenal)
  • 1 or 2 small eye shadow palettes that can be used for a simple/natural look and for a dramatic night look
  • liquid/pencil/gel eyeliner
  • mascara (waterproof lasts longer)
  • false eyelashes (if you REALLY want to look glam for the night)

LIPS

• lip balm
  • 1 natural/subtle lip color and 1 bright/dark lip color

And you can't forget about your tools! I like to use brushes that can multitask so that it takes up less space

• foundation brush
  • concealer brush
  • powder/blush/bronzer brush
  • eyelash curler
  • flat eye shadow brush, pencil brush, angled brush and blending brush (you really only need 4)

I hope this helps and gives you an idea of what to bring! :smileyhappy:

OreoAndFez

Thank you so much for this list! I appreciate it!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 24 replies
  • 13 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • malday
    • OreoAndFez
    • laura819
    • annypoo
    • heartsmyface
    • andyhtrieu