liveinlovexx

I bought some make-up that gives me a natural glow and shine... I thought it looked good?

I bought a mineral make-up that is supposed to support my natural glow. (I have an oily t-zone and combo skin, so making anything look matte is a full time job!) I figured hey let's embrace my natural glow and oilyness, because some dry people would go nuts for it!

I bought a setting spray and it just seemed to look very natural. My pores look smaller. I've had quite a bit of compliments. But today I go to work and the girls asked me "Is your make-up wet? Are you sweating? You look so oily!"

Of course now I am self concious and sitting here feeling blah.

What's your take on shiny face?!

Thanks! xoxo

mkupgk

Re: I bought some make-up that gives me a natural glow and shine... I thought it looked good?

(0) Hearts

Get benefit porefessional, it has great texture and covers large pores.  

makeupmaven

Re: I bought some make-up that gives me a natural glow and shine... I thought it looked good?

(0) Hearts

If you want sort of a happy medium between letting your glow shine through, but still being able to touch up as needed/ take the shine down if it becomes bothersome (or at least in certain areas), I love the Clinique Redness Powder:

http://www.sephora.com/redness-solutions-instant-relief-mineral-pressed-powder-P277401?skuId=1295765

I have combo skin and use a face oil my friend makes with PTR CC on top...so before I touch up I can be a little shiny, and this fixes it (while combatting redness/ without a heavy or cakey look).

janinebt

(0) Hearts

Hi liveinlovexx,

I also experience a lot of oil around my face for a natural glow. I usually keep the shine at bay by using Benefit's POREfessional. It's like a powder compact in a tube! You can wear it as a primer or on top of foundation. I always carry mine along with me. It's so much easier than using oil absorbing sheets and carrying around powder.

swfupload_8923070588604226566.jpg

Whimsically yours,
Janine
melde

(0) Hearts

I'm guessing the grass is always greener on the other side.

I have dry skin, so I always want the fresh faced, dewey (sp??) look. I have friends who have oily skin, so they always want a matte look.

I would just wear foundation with nothing on top, but it would wear off during the day, so I wear the teeniest bit of powder just to set it. But of course that is just me. :smileyhappy:

aviscardi

(0) Hearts

i have combo skin, oily around my nose and chin but i prefer a matte look all the time. I think if you are oily though you might want to achieve it with the products overtop rather than the base if you like the glowing look. 

I always set any liquid or bb with a powder fdn, not a huge fan of translucent ones since i don't wear full cvg liquids and like the extra from a powder. i spray with my scandinavia spray which is similar to UD deslick. then 10mins or so right before i leave the house i set my nose, press into the oil areas with hd powder

http://www.sephora.com/hd-microfinish-powder-P210400?skuId=1510247

To control any oils or if its humid during the day i use clean and clear blotting sheets as well

liveinlovexx

(0) Hearts

Yeahhh I don't know how to upload photos. :/ Boo. But I have re-starting using my laura mercier setting poweder, and it's helping a bit.

The make-up I started to use is all natural and very good for your skin, so I want to make it work, and I don't want to use a lot of other products that may not be as natural to cake on top you know? Because essentially it defeats the purpose. But it seems that the spray was just not for me! :]

I will def. go get some of those oil obsorbing sheets, thanks krunce for that!

And thanks everyone for your awesome input!

arielaaaaaaaa

As far as setting makeup i think a powder is your best bet. It will control the oil. It's a great choice for anyone who has oily skin. And for dry skin a spray is the way to go. Powder will emphasize dry spots.

sephoramusthave

I have normal to dry skin (its dry right now) but I do use a powder to set my liquid foundations and Tm/BB creams because a lot of them make me look shiny all over and once I set with powder my makeup stays put all day. I SWEAR by Rimmel London Stay Matte Powder. I'm using the natural shade right now and am on my 3rd compact of this. I've never liked a drugstore face item before this powder. It truly makes my skin look sooo good and sets my makeup perfectly. I use the transparent shade if I want a translucent powder, or the natural shade if I want a bit more coverage. SOOO good. And $3.99 at Target.

beautylovingirl

@liveinlovexx-Couldn't see your picture.:smileysad:

liveinlovexx

(0) Hearts

I don't think it looks super oily though hmm.  If this image works you can see. 

But ok, I will try to mattify more :smileyhappy:

beautylovingirl

There's definitely a difference in a "glowing" complexion and an "oily complexion" If your the slightest bit oily like you stay I would definitely try to mattify to look a little more normal. I've never like the look of an oily face.

krunce

My HGs for my oily forehead are Rimmel's Stay Matte powder in translucent, which is cheap and ridiculously amazing (terrible packaging though):
swfupload_4200246621939415332.jpgAnd face blotting tissues... any kind will do I guess, but I feel like the most effective ones for me are Clean & Clear oil absorbing sheets:
swfupload_8442400795187815068.jpg

I have a super oily forehead, but between my tinted moisturizer, Stila setting powder, UD setting spray, the Rimmel powder, and then, later in the day, the oil absorbing sheets, I literally don't have to carry any extra make up in my bag to touch up during a full work day.

Since my forehead is naturally really oily, I still end up with 'dewy' sheen at some point during the afternoon, before I use the blotting tissues, but it never looks slick.

prosopon

I agree with krunce on the oil absorbing sheets.  Sometimes I find if I continually apply powder to absorb the oil throughtout the day, by the end of the day I am a big cakey mess.  The sheets remove without adding more product.

liveinlovexx

(0) Hearts

Jenny, I guess my issue is that I can't find a make-up that will give me a matte look without it giving me a dry look. I can't find a make-up that gives me the matte look without breaking out.

This stuff seems to help with the dryness and the break-outs and like I said even lessens my porey look... but apperantly makes me look shiny. Which I don't want either.

Seems like I can't win! Haha.. boo! :]

Thanks for your input and thoughts!

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Combo or oily skin do NOT embrace shine very well!  I can't stand it.  Our body naturally produces enough shine, so sticking with a matte finish actually lessens that slick look.  When I'm not wearing Lancome's Dual Finish foundation, I use Tarte's Finishing Powder on top of my foundation--be it Perfectly Real or Teinte Idole.  Shine?  Dewey?  Yuck!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 10 hearts
  • 12 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • sephoramusthave
    • prosopon
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • aviscardi
    • jennypenny1995