Nuke

How to use Ambient Lighting Powders and UD setting spray to avoid cakey look?

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Hi All! I need some tips! I love my Ambient Light Powders and my UD All-Nighter setting spray, but when i come home at the end of my 10 hour day (it's busy/tax season at my job!) and look up-close in the mirror, I'm a little horrified at the crumbly/cakey looking patches on some parts of my face. The only okay thing about this is that it looks pretty good from afar, but I don't know how bad it could look to others from a polite talking distance :smileysad:  It might also just be my foundation application technique - sometimes I use a brush and sometimes I use a beautyblender, but I find no big difference in either the initial appearance (pretty good!) and the way it looks at the end of the day ( D: ). 

I do spray some of the Mario Badescu facial spray when my face starts to feel a little tight through the day, but this has been happening even before I started using the facial spray (which I only do because of how dry the winter is right now). Also, I've tried various primers, from the Hourglass to Porefessional to Clarins to various Korean brands. 

My skin is combo leaning towards oily, but since the winter has been brutal in my area it's a little dry these days (which is almost a welcome change for me - no blotting necesary for once!)

So, in summary:

• Which should I put on first - the lighting powders or the setting spray?
  • Any other tips for avoiding cake face? 

Thank you all! x

stacv

Re: How to use Ambient Lighting Powders and UD setting spray to avoid cakey look?

One thing I found is that the UD spray looked cakey on days that I didn't use a good deal of moisturizer AND any tie I did not have the spray super far from my face. I am just curious as to whether you really need setting spray and setting powder, plus primer/BB cream. I have sightly dry skin and each morning use a small amount of a good moisturizer then cc over and my makeup lasts all day with only a setting powder. I know your skin may be totally different or you may do strenuous work, but you may want to reevaluate your whole routine versus only the spray/powder and if it's the whole routine that needs a bit of reworking.

btmod2

Re: How to use Ambient Lighting Powders and UD setting spray to avoid cakey look?

Hi Nuke,

I think the best method for using the setting sprays is to first spray your face after you moisturize your skin before you apply any primer, foundation or BB Cream. After you apply your foundation or BB Cream, I would spray your face again with the setting spray and after the spray has dried, go ahead and use your Houglass powders. 

If you are not using any foundation or BB Cream, still try spraying your skin before the powders, but don't set the powders with the setting spray. I have found that sometimes using the setting spray on top of powders can cause the powders to separate a little on the skin.

Best,

Randee

shortstuff07

(0) Hearts

1.   Which spray,  the regular,  chill,  or deslick?  

2.   How are you applying  the powder,  and how much/often?  

3.   Any other powder products?   What foundation are you using?

I do all of my powders,  and then spray the b6  over everything to help out adhere to each other,  I'm wondering if you really need to setting spray at this point

Nuke

(0) Hearts

1. The All-Nighter - is that what you mean by "regular"?

2. I have the palette so I apply Incandescent as highlight on my cheekbones, Radiant over my cheek contour, and Dim everywhere else.

3. Nope. I've used UD Naked, Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 24H, and various Asian BB Creams, as well as the Garnier Matte BB. The BB Creams don't look as cakey at the end of the day, but after 10 hours they are also pretty much gone coverage-wise :smileysad: 

How long does that combo last for you? Also what type of skin do you have?

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 hearts
  • 4 in conversation
    • btmod2
    • stacv
    • Nuke
    • shortstuff07