rosefilou

How to get the Jlo glow?

[ Edited ]

I love her skin! It's no lie that she gets a lot of help to make it look the way it does, but I want some of your tips on how to achieve the elusive Jlo glow :smileyhappy: Which skin regimins, illuminators do you use to get the look? Do you mix illuminators with foundations or tinted moisturizers? And if so, which illuminator?

rosefilou

Re: How to get the Jlo glow?

Thank you guys! Great great tips!! You guys rock.

melissabt

(0) Hearts

Hi Rosefilou-

Her skin always looks amazing! Her make up artist knows exactly where to put the illuminator to make sure she looks good in any light. High Beam and the Josie Luminizer are also both the ones that I use the most often. Make Up Forever makes some nice ones as well, they tend to be a bit more glittery and shimmery.

For a mega glow, I actually apply a liquid first (underneath my foundation) and then on key areas. Bridge of the nose, high parts of the cheeks and above the brow bone and chin. I then set it with a powder version!! It really picks up the sheen.

Josie Maran - Argan Illuminizing Powder

http://www.sephora.com/argan-illuminizing-powder-P306935?skuId=1405117 &om_mmc=oth-bt-2013-beautyadvisorrec

I also suggest the Sephora Collection Classic Angled Blush Brush #40. It's flat on both sides so that you can tap on the product for fuller coverage.

SEPHORA COLLECTION - Classic Angled Blush Brush #40

http://www.sephora.com/classic-angled-blush-brush-40-P188205?skuId=1014026&om_mmc=oth-bt-2013-beauty...

<3 Melissa
lylysa

If you can track it down, find the September 2012 issue of Allure magazine, there's an article in that copy with her former/long time make up artist Scott Barnes and he's the guy who was behind creating that glow.

In terms of how you can achieve a similiar look on your own, the key is starting with a flawless canvas. Exfoliate to be sure skin is rid of dry spots, follow up with a moisturizer, allowing it to sink in for at least 2-5 minutes before starting your make up.

Apply primer suited for your skin type and buff on a liquid foundation with a satin or slightly dewy finish to keep skin looking hydrated and supple. MUFE's HD or Urban Decay's Naked Skin have optical/light diffusers that soften the look of your complexion.

You can mix liquid lumizers into your foundation, add a drop or two at max, I love working with the Artifical Lights from Smashbox or the tints from Benefit (High Beam, Moon Beam, or Sun Beam).

If you opt to apply the lumizers on their own you can also do that as well to prevent making the skin look to shiny (if your skin is oily, stick to selective highlighting).

Take a look at this following thread where I give a guide on how to bronze/contour skin along with highlighting and blush application options to add to the look you want:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Makeup/experimenting-with-new-makeup-ideas/m-p/416325#M1078

Adding a glow or highlighting is enhanced by contouring and use of bronzers as this provides contrast to what you're having pick up and reflect more light.

The thread will show you areas to highlight, contour, bronze, and apply blush to give you an idea on how to enhance your bone struction and complexion.

A great kit to start with is Too Faced's Bronzed & Beautiful Kit:
Too Faced - The Bronzed & The Beautiful - French Riviera Edition
http://www.sephora.com/the-bronzed-the-beautiful-french-riviera-edition-P281605?skuId=1322395

It comes with 3 different options for bronzer/contouring (1 matte, 2 with soft, satin finishes), highlighter options (use either the gold or the light, shell pink side of the one bronzer), and bronze tinted primer. The colors/products can also be used in a pinch for eye shadows. The gold is amazing and warms up any complexion whether you have warm or cool undertones. The different bronzers allow you an array of options to work with while mastering and testing out techniques to best suit your skin tone.

As mentioned before, Benefit makes an array of highlighters that can suit various skin tones.

HIgh Beam has a cool, pink tone, perfect for fair skinned gals or those with cooler/lighter undertones:
High Beam

Sun Beam has a warm, golden tone, perfect for those with deeper skin tones or with a tan:
Sun Beam

Moon Beam is a balanced mix of the two shades, suitable for any complexion type:
Moon Beam
Benefit also offers a stick/cream highlighter called Watts Up in a soft, champagne tint and it comes with a buffing sponge end to help smoothing out the product.
Watt's Up!

carolang

Try the Josie Maran Argan Iluminizer! It is a liquid illuminizer but the color is a perfect shimmery beige with no pink undertones. It dries quick so blend in fast. I got it in one of the sample packs she sells with the small argan oil... the smaller size they provide with that is plenty vs the standalone bigger one (some of her smaller samples packs are comparitive in price to the full-size illuminizer too so I would recommend a pack to try some other things out). I generally just place this on my cheekbones, brow bone, center line of nose (be very light with this one), and cupid's bow on lips (looks extra good here!). I prefer to place on these spots vs mixing (well I use bareMinerals so that is a no go for me) but sparingly it might look good!

I haven't used one yet but I have been looking into getting a brightening serum - for me the one by Origins - to even out the skin tone and reduce acne scarring. Also a nice bronzer would probably help!!

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 hearts
  • 4 in conversation
    • rosefilou
    • melissabt
    • lylysa
    • carolang