ChelePearl90289
Accepted Solution

How to buy products for a review website?

Hello there, I am starting a makeup review website. I am going to need to purchase a massive amount of products in the near future, some prestige brands, some drugstore brands. The question I am asking is how do you you think I should go about this? Because I am going be buying a few thousand dollars worth of products all at once, is there any way I can go about this without paying full price for each individual product? Is there a way to purchase wholesale? I am going to be using my website as a business of sorts so I'm just not sure how I should go about it. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!! Michele

tashalicious

Re: How to buy products for a review website?

maybe start by reviewing products you've already used or sampled, i think store samples would probably be the best way to stay current with whats new. and GOOD LUCK!!!

starletta8

(0) Hearts

I'd be wary about spending a lot of money up front since there are so many other beauty sites. I know it's a business investment, and you said this is your field... but there are many, many businesses in the beauty world and it's hard to make it.  Perhaps start small?

On another note, good luck with your venture. Just remember the BT rules on outside links- I'd hate to see your hard work get you in trouble!

ChelePearl90289

(0) Hearts

Hey guys thank you for your advice. I am excited to share the site with you when it is done because it's going to be game changing. I've done the research, believe me I am not going into this blindly. I'm a web developer and also do search engine optimization and internet advertising analysis. It's well researched, it is not going to be simple beauty blog, but I can't give anyone anymore information or I would be giving it away ;-)

kalex

I second Janine's advice about taking baby steps with your new site. I strongly advise against spending thousands of dollars to review products on a site that doesn't even have a dedicated following yet.  More money spent does not equal readers.  Time equals readers.  

I would start out by just reviewing what you already have.  The first visitors to your site are likely just going to be your mom and your best friend anyway.  That's a good thing too - it will allow you time to "find your voice" so to speak and get a format down for you want your site to be.

JGSFLA

(0) Hearts

I doubt it..everyone would like to buy discounted products lol..unless its drugstore i would say no way..drugstore brands maybe if you buy in bulk

ChelePearl90289

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the info. It will be a few months before I launch the site. Another thing I am curious about... I plan on purchasing the higher end mascaras from Sephora.. and I plan to buy a pretty good chunk of them at once (100+) I have funding to buy the products already set up, so it is more just a matter of getting the most efficient process of purchasing them. If I purchase them online, is there an easier way of buying an entire section of items other than adding each individual item to my shopping cart? Is there any way I can send Sephora a list of the items I want to purchase and have them added to my cart that way? Just curious. 

I know this is something I can research and find out on my own, but as far as using images of the products, do I need to get permission from the company or can I use the images and just credit the source of the images, for example, images courtesy of "company name"?

janinebt

(0) Hearts

I'll send you a private message so that we can discuss this in more detail.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
janinebt

Hi Xali,

I just sent you a private message, please respond when you get a spare moment. Thanks!

Whimsically yours,
Janine
jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Yeah, not interested in trying Mary Kay again after the horrid service I've encountered as well as having corporate FINALLY admit they do, in fact, test on animals after saying for so long that they don't.

janinebt

Hi ChelePearl90289,

We don't currently offer a wholesale discount and I'm not really familiar with websites that do. I'd recommend taking baby steps with your site; perhaps just start off with a website for you to review various products. If you find that you don't have the budget for a lot of items try getting others to contribute on your site.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 9 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • kalex
    • jennypenny1995
    • janinebt
    • starletta8