paigee
Accepted Solution

How does no one know!?

i've asked a ton of people what the number means on the back of practically any cosmetic product with the capitol M next to it. No one has ever been able to answer me, what is it?? On my OPI nail polish it's either 24M or 36M and on Bare Escentuals powder foundation it's 12 as is Tarte lip stain

katyl128

Re: How does no one know!?

(0) Hearts

Great question! I myself didn't know what it meant til a few months or so ago

berniebeauty

Did you see it in a picture like this?

I was wondering about that too, and I found this out at another conversation, what it means. I can't find the conversation anymore. Sorry.

~~We are all beautiful~~

keelybt

Thanks Katie1724! Katie1724 is exactly right :smileyhappy:  Those symbols are becoming much more common on beauty products and can be helpful in determining how long you should be keeping your products. 

katie1724

[ Edited ]

This is called a PAO symbol, or "period after opening" -- meaning how long the manufacturer suggests the is product viable after  opening it initially. The M stands for months -- i.e., 6M (6 months), 24M, 36M, etc. For some cosmetic products, like mascara, the life span will be shorter -- such as 3M or 6M, and you generally want to pay attention to those, or any liquid-based product like foundation -- because these will eventually go bad. In addition to using the PAO symbol as a guideline, you can also judge by the product itself -- if it changes consistency, starts to smell, separates, etc. -- toss it, no matter what the symbol says. However, I will say that powder-based products -- like eyeshadow or blush -- will keep for much longer than their cited period (usually around 24M) if you take good care of them (clean them, don't store them in the bathroom or a humid area, etc.).

fastgirl

(0) Hearts

Sooo helpful, thank you! And great question too! :smileyhappy:

firecracker7383

(0) Hearts

Thank you! I will be using this information form now on :smileyhappy: very useful!

paigee

Thank you! :smileyhappy:  i was getting rather discouraged because i figured it was there for a reason but no one could tell me

Now i do and can monitor my make up time line

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 14 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • katie1724
    • firecracker7383
    • fastgirl
    • katyl128