etscore1

Hot Tools 1" vs. Sultra Bombshell

I have a LOT of long, fine, stick straight hair. 

I've finally had it with my two curling irons (1 1/4" and 3/4") and am going to buy a 1". I can't decide between the Hot Tools and the Bombshell. 

My 1 1/4" curling iron is a Hot Tools and while the curls look great initially, they fall out of my hair extremely quickly. The 3/4" curls (old Conair) stay but they are way too tight and just don't loosen up enough - and with a lot of hair, the barrel is just too small to be able to curl large enough pieces.

So I guess my question is, if the 1 1/4" Hot Tools curls fall out of my hair faster than I can walk out the door, can I expect the 1" Hot Tools barrel to be any different or should I take the plunge on the Sultra Bombshell? 

etscore1

Re: Hot Tools 1" vs. Sultra Bombshell

Finally bought the Sultra Bombshell 1" yesterday and can already say that it's a keeper!

I will say, upon first use, I definitely felt a bit clumsy and inept. I didn't put any product in my hair (used an argan oil heat protectant before drying it a couple days earlier) because I really just wanted to see what the Bombshell could do without any extra product.

I have to say, my hair actually looked great because of the imperfections due to my lack of coordination! 

But then the real test - going to bed. Woke up and the fairly loose waves had loosened up even more, but didn't fall out or look like a total disaster and were still totally wearable. 

Very pumped to keep using it. :smileyhappy: 

caliglow66

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I have the exact same problem. I have a lot of fine straight hair and all it wants to do is stay straight! I actually have the 1" Hot Tools curling iron and my curls fall out in less than 5 minutes!!! If your curls are falling out with the 1 1/4" Hot Tools I definitely don't recommend the 1"

etscore1

Sounds like we definitely have the same problem. :smileysad:  With the easy return policy, I'm definitely going to take the plunge on the Bombshell once Chic Week rolls around. 

Hoping the Bombshell will require less product to keep curls, but that might be too much to ask! 

caliglow66

(0) Hearts

If you can, please update us when you get the Bombshell! I would love to know how it works out for you and to see if I should start saving up for one lol

etscore1

(0) Hearts

Absolutely - will do! Early April unless I find it on sale somewhere else. 

kittycarlisle

Chic week isn't really that far away, so wait and let the discount make you feel better! I have a couple of T3 products and it's really amazing the difference it's made compared to the drugstore type brands like Conair. So go for the Sultra and enjoy!

etscore1

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reassurance! 

Pretty pumped to finally pull the trigger. Hair dryer is next - and who knows, it may accidentally fall into my basket with the Bombshell! :smileyvery-happy:

sweetmandy

I have the bombshell.  It's the only thing that will curl my hair.  Totally worth the money.  I made my husband buy it for me as a xmas present a few years ago.  

etscore1

(0) Hearts

Well if this doesn't sound like a solution I don't know what does. :smileyhappy:

blushqueen415

Laura, your recommendations rock! I've learned so much from you!

Spoiler

DTalksAll

I have long, thick, straight hair that does not like to hold a curl. I usually need to wait for second or third day hair after washing, use Living Proof Primer Style Extender, curl, then a light mist of flexible hold hair spray & a fine mist of Alterna Dry Oil mist. 

I bought the 1" bombshell a few years back when I had it with my clip curling irons, dealing with crease marks, and never getting that "perfect curl". I LOVE MY BOMBSHELL! Honestly, I think it was worth every penny. It heats up quickly, I can do my hair in 1/2 the time- 15-30 minutes as opposed to an hour +, it doesn't damage my hair, rip hairs out...

I'm finally able to do something I never could with curling my hair; comb it out the next day for soft volume waves! 

Some days it requires a bit more time, and I need to be extra careful- but that's usually on clean hair or when it's really humid out. Give it a try, you can always return it if you don't like it. 

etscore1

Awesome! 

I do the same thing - my hair has to be at least two days old, or even three days old to have enough texture to be receptive to curling. Right now my hair is 100% natural, no color or treatment and I'm fortunate to have extremely smooth, soft hair, but when it comes to curling, the curls slip right out! 

Do you like the Alterna styling products? I was looking at a couple different ones the other day and couldn't quite figure out which would be best.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I like the Dry Oil mist as a finishing spray. I'm going to try the blonde version when I run out. I also like the CC cream when my ends get dry. 

Living Proof's Style Extender is a nice product to "dirty up" the hair and help the curls last. 

I find using too much hair spray weighs my hair down & makes the curls fall flat & crunchy. I rather use a mousse or hold cream before I curl. 

etscore1

(0) Hearts

I've been using B&B mousse, but I find that I end up with too much volume from it. My hair is fine, but it's very thick, so typically when I curl, that provides all the volume I need. But I might look into that Style Extender, because that sounds like what I'm looking for. 

I was also looking at some different Alterna products and Saschajuan products. 

What creams have you found that work? I used Aveda Light Elements Texturizing Creme today and it's definitely providing plenty of hold. 

http://www.aveda.com/product/5239/16634/Collections/Light-ElementsTM/Light-Elements-Texturizing-Crem...

For some reason I always feel like I don't have what I need, but this product might actually be exactly what I need. :smileyhappy:

DTalksAll

The only creams I've repurchased (or stock up on) are Alterna CC (for moisture, not when curling) and Living Proof. In the past I've used a combo of drugstore, salon recommendations... 

I think there are some drugstore curl mousse- They shouldn't add too much volume. Devacurl, B&B, & Ouidad have one too, but I've never tried them before. 

etscore1

[ Edited ]

Thanks so much for the suggestions. :smileyvery-happy: 

Looking into those last few, it seems they're all made for naturally curly hair. Have you had any luck with products intended for naturally curly hair?

DTalksAll

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I've been using curl cream/mousse for years to help keep the curl. I also have dry hair, and products meant for curly hair tend to me more moisturizing. I rather buy products from Sephora or Ulta now, in case I don't like (leaves my hair crunchy, flat, stiff... just doesn't work) I can always return in. 

& I've never seen a product for straight hair to help keep a curl. 

etscore1

(0) Hearts

Interesting. I don't have issues with dry hair - if anything I spray some dry shampoo in after a couple of days to soak up some mild greasiness. If anything, I have concerns about adding any additional weight to my hair, which only seems to aid in curls falling out quickly.

But I've also wondered exactly that - whether a product existed that would make straight hair more prone to or receptive to curling, and it doesn't seem like anyone knows of anything. Do you use any of those products in dry hair, or just wet hair? 

Too many options! :smileyhappy:

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

Most mousses & creams can be used on wet or dry hair. If using on dry, then just use a tiny amount. 

Again, I wash my hair 1-2 days before I curl & would never use heat like that on wet hair, so I have to apply it dry :smileytongue: 

etscore1

(0) Hearts

Totally agree. I just find it funny that all the curling recommendations are to use day or two old hair, but so many products recommend applying on wet hair. I didn't know if people just dunked their heads in the shower or sprayed their hair down with a spray bottle or what. :smileytongue:

Sorry to keep bombarding you with questions! Really appreciate all your insight! :smileyvery-happy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 38 replies
  • 40 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • btmod2
    • blushqueen415
    • DTalksAll
    • lylysa
    • sweetmandy
    • caliglow66