Answer
tomboyjess
Helping creating a new look?
I'm looking for a new look -- specifically, lipstick and eye makeup. I'm half-Asian, so light skin with a little yellow. I have dark brown eyes and hair. I usually use Bare Minerals light foundation, with Glee as blush. I'm trying to branch out! Suggestions? Thanks!
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 2
melissabt
Answered
[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Hi Tomboyjess,

I think with your great features you should look for eyeshadows in the plum, warm browns and golds family. I would recommend starting off with a great palette like the Kat Von D True Romance Eyeshadow Palette - Poetica, because it has a lot of universal shades that you could wear every day. You can mix and match these shades by using a darker color on the lid or in the crease.

True Romance Eyeshadow Palette - Poetica

Always use a primer before your eyeshadows to make it stay on and to prevent crease. I recommend the Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion Tube - Eden

Eyeshadow Primer Potion Tube - Eden

For your lips I would stick to neutral pinks, mauves and plums.

Sephora Collection Rouge Cream Lipstick

Seduce 14
(cool pinkish beige)
Seduce 14

Mmmm...17
(muted sandy pink)
Mmmm...17

Urban Decay Lipstick 

Naked
(pink nude/ full coverage cream)
Naked

Nars Lipstick

Dolce Vita (sheer dusty rose)
Dolce Vita

For your blush your skintone would look nice with shimmery peaches and warm pinks.

Sephora Collection Colorful Blush

Healthy Rose 09
(matte warm rose)
Healthy Rose 09

Coral Crush 04
(light terra cotta with gold shimmer)
Coral Crush 04

I would also recommend that you book an appointment at your local Sephora Store so that they can help you create a new look for you! I have also included a Sephora Youtube Video of a look that I think would look flattering. I hope that this helps!

<3 Melissa
tenngal
Answered
[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Hi, tomboyjess.  To make your brown eyes really pop, wear an eyeshadow that’s the opposite of your eye shade on the color spectrum.  Brown eyes are more flattered lined with a brown liner, not black—it’s softer yet still dramatic.  Brown eyes can wear almost any combination of colors.  However, some of the best shades for brown eyes are:

• cream / eggshell
  • dark brown
  • plum
  • warm gold
  • deep blue
  • forest green
  • deep grey

A palette that has all the shades to make your brown eyes pop is the Tarte NeutralEYES Volume II Natural Eye Palette.  It is a palette of beautiful neutral eyeshadows made with all natural ingredients.  The refillable collector’s palette design is sleek, wrapped in faux leather, gold zippers and animal print.  Inside the palette are 10 limited-edition neutral eyeshadows, a full-size EmphasEYES Aqua-Gel Eyeliner in Brown, and a full-size, double-ended eye shadow brush.  The eyeshadow shades range from shimmering taupe to fizzy champagne to deep chocolate brown, helping you create a variety of looks.  Before being treated with soothing vitamins, the highly-pigmented Amazonian Clay Shadows are softly milled for rich color payoff and silky application.  Tarte's EmphasEYES Aqua-Gel Eyeliner, infused with vitamin E, cucumber, and aloe, captures the high-pigment concentration and staying power of a gel pot in an effortless pencil for easy application and long-lasting wear.  Tarte even includes a free deluxe sample of their bestselling lifted natural eye primer with Firmitol so you can prep and prime your eye area while decreasing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles so that the eyeshadows blend smoother and stay longer.  The 10 full-sized eyeshadows come in matte ivory beige, matte pale pink, matte pale peach, matte taupe, matte dark brown, pale peach pink sheen, pale peach shimmer, olive khaki sheen, mute plum sheen, and golden brown sheen.  You can find the palette here:  http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P286100&categoryId=B70

Now about blush...Here are a few tips to help you when selecting blush:

Warm complexions look best in yellow-based blush shades like peach and terracotta. 

Cool undertones are flattered by blue-based pinks and berries.

To find your perfect cheek color, go to a store that sells paint and has paint samples and pick colors that you think could work as a blush.  Hold the samples up to your face in front of a mirror in natural light and you’ll see instantly what brightens your complexion versus what makes it look sallow or gray.

A universally flattering color for all skin tones is a light pink such as Make Up For Ever “Powder Blush” in the shade “Candy Pink 85” which you can find at:  http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P12634&categoryId=B70

Choosing the right lipstick shade is similar to choosing other makeup in that you need to choose lipstick colors according to your skin tone.  In general, lipsticks with names such as Cinnamon Spice have a warm undertone, while those labeled something like Icy Pink have a cool cast.  People with a peach or orange essence to their skin are considered to be warm-toned, while those with a blue or pink undertone are said to be cool-toned.  Chances are, you'll be instinctively attracted to the right lipstick color family for you, as cool-toned people tend to prefer the clear, icy shades while those with warmer skin tones usually pick the tawny, spicy hues. Corals or dusty pinks, brick reds and bronzed plums tend to suit those with warmer skin tones, while clear pinks, reds and plums tend to suit those with cooler skin tones.  Comparing skin colors and lipstick shade preferences with friends can help you better understand the principles of cool and warm tones, too.  The best lipstick colors tend to make a person's face look less lined and shadowed.  If you appear to look better in certain lipsticks than others, chances are they are in the ideal tones for your skin.

Make Up For Ever has an easy-to-use "Lipstick Finder" tool which helps you choose lipstick shades that coordinate with your skin tone.  You simply start out by selecting your skin tone and the Lipstick Finder will walk you through the steps to your perfect shade(s).  You can access it here:  http://www.sephora.com/browse/brand_hierarchy.jhtml?brandId=MAKE%20UP%20FOR%20EVER&contentId=C23481

Hope this helps!
Have a great day!
tenngal :smileyhappy:

Question Stats
  • 2 answers
  • 1 heart
  • 3 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • tomboyjess
    • melissabt