Answer
pilsener
Help with suggestions and advice on cleansers and moisturizers for sensitive combination skin.
(0) Hearts

Hello, I hope everyone is doing well! I'm seeking direction and suggestions on skincare products for my skin, a cleanser and a moisturizer.

I experience excessive oil with a dehydrated skin surface. I haven't had any luck finding the right products for my skin for awhile now :smileysad: The products that I have tried have left my skin dry, and a result a flaky/dehydrated skin surface right after cleansing. Then, after applying a moisturizer to fix this problem, my skin tends to get super oily throughout the day.

I don't suffer from acne, but my pores tend to get clogged and I seldom get one or two whiteheads. My beard grows really fast, and I also tend to get some ingrown hairs. I would like to find some products that will help me with these issues. I do want to note that I use a clarisonic. At least once a day.

I have tried cleansers in the mens line including Anthony, Clinique, Jack Black, and Lab Series. But no luck. It seems they are too harsh. That's why I decided to try cleansers from Philosophy and Murad, but again no luck. Right now, I am considering giving Origins and Boscia cleansers a try. Since Sephora suggests them for combo skin. What do you think?

I greatly appreciate any direction and suggestions on what to look for. A cleanser that will balance my skin, as well as a moisturizer that will hydrate and help my skin problems.Thank you so much for your feedback, have a good day!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 9
Kiki1517
Answered

I have sensitive combo skin as well and really love Boscia. I currently use these products:

Revitalizing Black Hydration Gel

http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?skuId=1379221&productId=P297568

Detoxifying Black Cleanser

http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?skuId=1393057&productId=P302940

I love how the moisturizer feels on my skin at night. Lightweight and cooling.

michmo
Answered

I really love First Aid Beauty's Line which is made for sensitive skin.  Their cleanser is great because it is gentle but effective.  I think one of the products that is really important for my skin from their line is the Facial Radiance Pads. They help exfoliate and tone my skin without being too harsh. They might work really well for keeping your pores clear and maybe prevent the ingrown hairs.  And the last step I use from them is the Daily Face Cream.  I have dehydrated skin that can still break out and it works well for me.  

Good luck!

DST57
Answered
(0) Hearts

I also wanted to put in a plug for Origins Modern Friction for when you want some exfoliation. My skin sounds a lot like yours minus the whole beard thing haha), combination and very sensitive, and this works wonders for me. Where most exfoliating products leave my skin raw and red, this is soothing while still giving you a good clean feel. I imagine it would work well with a clairsonic although I just use my fingertips.

beautylovingirl
Answered
(0) Hearts

@pilsener- No this is more of a balancing line not to harsh like the other murad products. It's brand new and I really think you might like it.

syritt
Answered
(0) Hearts

Boscia's black products are way too harsh for my combination skin, and I'm not really that sensitive to products. Their regular cleanser is pretty great though.

I know it seems counterintuitive, but oil-based cleansers seem to help me balance better. I got a sample of the Josie Maran stuff, and would be using it forever if I could get past the smell. Warm citrus is just not for me, but a lot of people like it. Worth maybe getting a sample and trying it out.

Also a good toner is basically a necessity for combination skin. I didn't believe it until I started using a good one, but it lets me use a much lighter moisturizer - so I have no dry patches, but no oil slicks or breakouts either. (I use a Dermalogica toner and a MAC moisturizer. I wish Sephora carried Dermalogica and MAC so I could get everything in the same place. Ah well.)

beautylovingirl
Answered
(0) Hearts

When looking at the Murad did you look at Daily cleansing foam and the pore refining serum their all new products in the  Murad line. Here's the link to the cleanser:

http://www.sephora.com/daily-cleansing-foam-P379904

It's not as harsh as the acne line in the Murad when you look at the cleanser the rest of the products in this line are at the bottom of the page. Hope this helps!

starletta8
Answered
(0) Hearts

If you have sensitive skin, the best advice I can give you is to stay away from Boscia!  My skin reacted violently to Boscia's black line. That said, I think it's probably great for oily skin- but pretty harsh.

I concur with the Origins suggestion- and also really like Murad's daily cleanser.

For an out of the box suggestion, check out Shiseido's Pureness line. Shiseido is gentle on sensitive skin, and Pureness is targeted towards controlling oil.

melissabt
Answered
(0) Hearts

Hi Pilsener,

I highly recommend the Origins A Perfect World™ Antioxidant Cleanser with White Tea. It a very low foaming formula that leaves your skin feeling balance and not tight and dry.

white tea.jpg

For night use, I suggest the Origins A Perfect World™ Antioxidant Moisturizer with White Tea. It a gel-cream texture and adds hydration and has antioxidants to protect from environmental damage.

white tea night.jpg

For day:

tea day.jpg

<3 Melissa
pinkonyx
Answered
(0) Hearts

HEY! I have sensitive combination skin as well, its stubborn. I actually am pleasantly surprised when I saw some of the responses already, because origins and boscia are great, I've tried both. I reallllllyyyyyy like boscia, it was my favorite. But origins I think its called Dr. Weil mega mushroom calming serum that is amazing. 

Question Stats
  • 9 answers
  • 2 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • melissabt
    • unblownkisses
    • beautylovingirl
    • syritt
    • starletta8
    • pilsener
    • Kiki1517
    • pinkonyx