Help with contouring extremely pale skin

lreagan

Help with contouring extremely pale skin

I'm looking for a bronzer and a highlighter to try contouring my face, but the last time I tried a bronzer (Benefit's Hoola), it looked AWFUL. Maybe I used too heavy of a hand, but it just looked so fake and strange on my pale face. To get an idea of my how pale I am, I use shade 42 in Kat Von D's Lock-It Tattoo Foundation and Siberia in Nars Sheer Glow Foundation. I want to try contouring again because although I love the Kat Von D founation, it makes my face a little too flat and I want to look healthy instead of sickly, LOL.

Is there a specific type of bronzer I should look for? One with a certain undertone? Also can someone recommend a good highlighter? I'd prefer one in a powder formula, not a cream highlighter.

lylysa

Re: Help with contouring extremely pale skin

Because the UD one is a HD based powder, a tiny bit goes a long way and is more of a finishing powder rather than a touch up one as well.

Too Faced's Absolutely Invisible powder is a pressed, compact powder that's another option too, it's enriched with vitamins, minerals, and sea-based botanicals to nourish skin and it's very finely milled so it's weightless on skin!

beautylovingirl

You can also give your skin a healthy looking glow by using the HD powder from MUFE or also use a shimmer powder which doesn't make you have a shimmer all over your face it adds radiance and gives your face a glow.Hope this helps!

garnett

I also have a fair complexion and totally understand what you are going through.  I agree with Buzzbee-the Urban Decay Naked Flushed contains colors that really work well for me.  The bronzer isn't orange or too dark.  The blush gives a natural rosey glow and the highlighter is just enough.  You can use each on their own or swirl them together.  I think you will be very pleased with this product.  If you are looking for a really beautiful highlighter, consider the Ambient Lighting Powders from Hourglass.  They are incredible.  I have two- Mood which is a soft lavender pink with a bit of pearl to it and Luminous which is a gorgeous champagne pearl that  has a bit more glow than Mood. They are not heavily pigmented so you don't have to worry that they will deposit too much color on you.  They give your complexion some life and a lit from within glow.  They look good even in daylight.

emmaclaire

Check this out - Kat Von D is too dark for me!  Whaaat.  Anyway, I've found the key to contouring for us ghosts is to 1) skip the shimmer! Go with a matte bronzer/color to avoid calling attention to the "shadows" you're trying to create.  Shimmer can work in a bronzer you're using for your whole face, but as a contour try to avoid it; 2) AVOID ORANGE!  A ton of bronzers will pull to the orange side to mimic a tan, but when contouring this just looks like crap.  Try to find a very very neutral or even blue toned contour shade to actually work with your complexion.

Honestly, I've used MAC's Omega eyeshadow as a contour shade, but I'm currently looking at Fyrinnae's bronzer/contour colors, as they have one for very pale complexions.  Also, use a light hand!  You can always add more, but too much contouring gives a strange look.

My ALL TIME holy grail favorite highlighter is Too Faced Candlelight Duo - it really gives a beautiful glow that can be made ethereal and glamorous with a heavier application and subtle and radiant with a lighter application.  It's a crazy good price for the amount/value of the product and it's a beautiful, smooth, buttery powder which I absolutely adore.  (P.S. I am not a Too Faced employee/sponsored by the brand, this product is just seriously underrated lol)

lreagan

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the suggestion! So you would recommend the Candlelight duo over the regular/original Candlelight? I was looking at that one online earlier and definitely wanted to check it out.

emmaclaire

(0) Hearts

Yes, it's a better deal and I think it's a better product.  I seriously don't think I'll buy another luminizer/highlighter again!  (OK, I will, but this is still my HG haha)

dianabt

Hi lreagan, 

I'm a pretty light tone as well but while Hoola can be GREAT for some skin tones its a bit more intense and tricky to work with for lighter tones! I use it sometimes but it's often a bit muddy and I end up going with a shimmery bronzer anyway :smileywink:

I second the suggestions of the Nars duos and the Naked Flushed! The colors are soft yet subtle and can be easily applied or blended for a heavier or lighter coverage. 

Try also the Lorac Tantalizer Highlighter and Matte Bronzer Duo- now in a super cute $12 mini size!

swfupload_5648405889862907804.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/tantalizer-highlighter-matte-bronzer-duo-P378377?skuId=1510262

I like bronzers with a more golden-like undertone to really get that golden sun kissed look. 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
lreagan

(0) Hearts

The Lorac bronzer looks pretty dark! Are you sure it would work on really pale skin? Is it lighter in person?

buzzbee3

I use Kat Von D's Foundation in 44, so I'm just as pale. I have the same problem as you do with bronzers. I found that Urban Decays Naked Flushed works really well with my skintone. The bronzer gave a very nice hint of color, the blush gave my cheeks a very natural rosey glow, and the highlighter wasn't too shimmery. It was a palette I hadn't considered before because I thought the colors would be to intense on my skin. I was quite impressed!

lreagan

(0) Hearts

The Urban Decay Naked Flushed picture online makes the bronzer look super orange. Is it like that in person?

starletta8

I play with Nars Albatross and Satellite of Love as highlighters- and I'm equally pale.  Think Bobbi Brown Alabaster.  I use them to reflect the shadow from my glasses.

lreagan

Great, thank you for the suggestion!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 32 replies
  • 36 hearts
  • 16 in conversation
    • sephoramusthave
    • dottiemay1221
    • emmaclaire