Answer
paledoll
Help for my Mom's sun and chemo aged skin...

Hello! My mother was recently down about how her face looks. She is in her 60s, grew up as a dairy farmer's daughter (in the sun..A LOT) and has gone through chemo on two seperate occasions. She now helps my grandmother when needed and does stuff for my dad, who has become disabled. Needless to say, I think her skin is a bit stressed. I think she's beautiful, but if this could help her make her feel better about things..

My sister is marrying toward the end of the year, and she really wants to look her best for photos. (She normally shys away from them).  I thought a weekly exfoliation, plus an intensive moistorizor for the skin would help with the base. But I don't know what products would be best for aged/chemo skin. Also any ideas on a good primer/foundation for her? She is pale/slightly tan (she tends to stay out of the sun these days).  As I stated, I am used to buying for me (30 years old), and am a bit clueless for the mature lady.  I got her to the Clinque counter once, but they suggested about a billion products to buy on the spot, so she was turned off. (And a bit fustrated). Thanks for your hellp!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 3
ChicDabbler
Answered

Does she have dry, oily or combination skin? Better safe than sorry, so check with her physician if anything's a concern.

My mom is 50+ and get confused with more than 2 product, so I focused on serum/moisturizer and eye cream. Shiseido WrinkleResist and Murad Resurgence line all made a wonderful difference in her wrinkles/complexion. Individual product-wise, L'occitane Immortelle night cream, Origins Plantscription eye cream and Caudalie eye&lip cream also works. She doesn't use exfoliator/toner/cleanser, so your mom may or may not need them. One of my friend (about your age I think?) buys Peter Thomas Roth anti-aging and retinol stuff for her and her mom and swears by them. And remember to use SPF during the day.

I would suggest start with a serum, then a moisturizer, then a cleanser or exfoliator one at a time and preferably give it a week to see if it works for her. As for foundation/make up, it would be good to get a makeover at Sephora or store counter, then wear it for a while and see it under different lighting to see if it works. Good luck!

melissabt
Answered
(0) Hearts

Hi Paledoll,

I had a close relative that had to go through radiation for cancer. Afterwards, her skin was really dry and she felt as though her skin lost it's elasticity.

I agree with Beautytester, is your moms skin dry? It is a lot simpler just to start off with a few products! Gentle cleanser, exfoliator, spf moisturizer and serum.

Let us know and we will be glad to suggest some products!:smileyhappy:

<3 Melissa
miabt
Answered
(0) Hearts

Hi paledoll,

I'm so sorry to hear all the problems your mother has gone through!  I would actually suggest consulting with your moms physician on what products would be safe for your mom to use, especially when it comes to exfoliating products.  They will be able to tell you what skincare products would be best for her maturing skin, that is still okay to use after all of her treatments.  Good luck!

xo, Mia

Question Stats
  • 3 answers
  • 3 hearts
  • 4 in conversation
    • paledoll
    • melissabt
    • ChicDabbler
    • miabt