SydBristow

Help finding good eye brushes?

I have a few brushes but find I am short a good domed eye shadow brush and crease brush. I have sets from Bare Minerals, Smashbox, Eco Tools and Laura Mercier. They all do ok but I love how soft the Laura Mercier brushes feel and find this works well for blending, just that the ones I have are a bit big.

I am open to suggestions/input. I did do searches on the board before posting and know brushes have been discussed quite a bit, but I had a hard time narrowing down to the couple I need.

Also, I've been using the Bare Minerals brush cleaner but have heard some people use olive oil (did I dream that? Lol).  Guidance on how best to take care of my brushes appreciated too!

Here's a link to my brushes:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/media/gallerypage/user-id/280097/image-id/58157i713DF50582BF908E

rdesigns

Re: Help finding good eye brushes?

(0) Hearts

I have been using the natural brushes from Valerie Beverly Hills for about 20 years.  I still have most of the original brushes I purchased 20 years ago!!  I have only had to replace a couple of brushes after about 10 years.  They are not inexpensive initially, but to have a brush set last 20 years has made them pay for themselves many times over.

rosieroseg

Sephora Pro has small, slim ones that are still soft and don't shed. Have you tried the Laura Mercier eyeliner brush? It's slim but still super soft (and can be used for the crease too).  

SydBristow

(0) Hearts

No, I haven't!  But I love the Laura Mercier brushes!!

NotCrocker

Conveniently Temptalia just put up her brush recommendations today! Go take a look there, she gives lots of great recommendations and 4 different brushes in each section to give options.

vanillammm

[ Edited ]

The company called The Brush Guard makes a nice brush cleaning kit that comes with:

1. the brush guard sleeves (one variety pack)
  2. the “Squeaky Clean” shampoo
  3. a blotting cloth
  4. a washing cup
  5. a drying vase

The first 3 ingredients in the brush shampoo are organic aloe, organic lavender, and roman chamomile.

It is a handy little kit.

kit1.jpg

The packaging is what caught my eye... 

ickies.JPG

missfawnie

(0) Hearts

Oh my goodness- that packaging is so adorable! I haven't heard of that company or kit before, but I definitely need to check it out. I'm ashamed to admit that my brushes are a little neglected right now.

Have you tried this out yet? 

vanillammm

(0) Hearts

yes. I like the shampoo it works well, the cleaning cup (teal cup) is textured at the bottom so you rub your soapy wet brush along the texture and it helps get them nicely cleaned. The microfiber cloth helps to dry them out well before placing the brush guards on (to help reshape them), and then you stand them upside down in the drying vase (black cup) which is ventilated. 

I find that I like to forego the brush guard for my brushes that are more dense, as the guard causes a longer drying time. I just let those brushes hang over the edge of a counter and they dry more quickly then with this system.

I picked up my set at Marshalls for $15. I think it sells for $38 online, though.

For $15 it is definitely worth it, for $38 - probably not.

missfawnie

(0) Hearts

Okay. Thank you so much!! Next time I'm in Marshalls, I'll look around and see if they have this. :smileyhappy:

TrysBeautyItems

[ Edited ]

Philosophy made simple also cleans brushes, since it's gentle and made to remove makeup. I've also used anti-bac soap..both with tepid water. Neither has harmed any brushes.

Olive oil, did a google search and tons popup on this 'method,' guess you didn't dream it :smileywink:

IttyxBittyxMe

I would not clean your brushes with olive oil! I would be so afraid that the oil wouldn't get all the way out and mess up my make up (oil is a great makeup remover, like its all I use to remove makeup). Instead I use Parian Spirit brush cleaner. Not from Sephora but I love it and it smells great, not to mention it makes brush cleaning a breeze.

But for brushes themselves I use Sigma and Coastal Scents. Both are online brands, Sigma is better, but more expensive. Coastal Scents is good, but cheap. I just bought MAC brushes for the first time and just...wow. So smooth and wonderful. @_@ I want to try Bobbi Brown brushes though.

Kiki1517

I agree, I tried the olive oil and Dawn dishsoap before and it's just a mess, you have to be uber careful not to get too much oil on the brushes, it was a nightmare. I've been cleaning mine with Sephora brand purifying face cleanser and when there's alot of buildup (mostly foundation brushes) I put a dab of dawn dishsoap. This method has been working the best for me.

IttyxBittyxMe

I tired the Sephora brand brush cleaner and I was soooo disappointed. Maybe I just got a bad bottle, but nothing came out of my brushes at all. :/

I do want to try Johnson and Johnson Baby Shampoo though as I hear that works pretty well..

Kiki1517

(0) Hearts

The Sephora brand didn't work for me either. 

vanillammm

I don't like to use olive oil on my brushes but olive oil is a wonder on a stained beauty blender... gets all of that colorstay foundation right out. Makes the beauty blender look pretty again.

IttyxBittyxMe

As soon as I find my Beauty Blender (It keeps disappearing -_-) I'll have to keep that in mind! 

ashleynne

[ Edited ]

honestly sephora pro collection is my favorite! I find they are high quality. when looking at mac's I didnt find them to be very durable and I didn't like the feel of the handles. Also I found the brushes to not have the density I would like, they ran more on the thinner side. Sephora's fits comfortably in my hand and feels sturdy. I tend to buy them one at a time. However there is some selected already in a set available if you got 275 handy. lol we should be having that 20% or 15% coupon coming to us vib's soon though. Something to keep in mind.

s1489665-main-hero.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/deluxe-standing-easel-brush-set-P377910?skuId=1489665

Working at sephora and in the cosmetic section of macy's I had the fortune to try out lots of different brushes. I have had everything in brushes from ecotools, tarte, bare minerals, kirkland brand (costco), lancome, sephora, clinique, urban decay, and probably another one or two I can't remember. the sephora brushes I reach for each time.

beethousand

Like Kiki, I have tried LOTS of brushes and most of my favorite eye brushes are MAC. I would steer clear of the holiday sets though - I find natural hair brushes to be the best, and the holiday sets use synthetic bristles instead. Hakuhodo is also great and softer than MAC, but unless you live in California, you would have to order them blind. Two of my Hakuhodo eye brushes are from when I was searching for eye brushes smaller than what was typically available for creasework. I ended up ordering the S142 for blending and a pencil brush that is much longer and fuller than the MAC 219. I really love them!

Kiki1517

Ooooh everyone should go check out Temptalia's most recent post and she breaks down all the eyebrushes! Guess who's Hakuhodo cart is being filled up? :smileywink:

Kiki1517

That's what I was wondering. Everyone keeps raving about Hakuhodo, but their website is so overwhelming. There are hundreds of brushes and I just wish I could see in person.

dianabt

Hi Kiki1517,

I recommend you look at some by Bobbi Brown (great long handles for more precision and control) and even our Sephora Pro collection- I have both and even though I wash mine a lot, they are still in great shape and are very soft on the eyes:

Eye Blender Brush Eye Sweep Brush

http://www.sephora.com/bobbi-brown?brandName=bobbi-brown&node=1050102

Sephora Collection

SEPHORA COLLECTION - Smoke Machine Smokey Eye Brush Set SEPHORA COLLECTION - Deluxe Antibacterial Brush Set

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 37 replies
  • 47 hearts
  • 16 in conversation
    • rosieroseg
    • spoiledbrat
    • dianabt
    • beautytester
    • veronika23