Alapharah

Help With Whiteheads

Would you recommend using the REN Glycol Lactic mask twice a week? I have many white heads on my chin and forehead and a few blackheads on my nose, in addition to acne scars. I've been using the mask once a week for the past three weeks now and only notice brighter skin. Though the brightening is a great benefit to my acne scars, will using the mask twice help diminish the whiteheads? I have very oily skin and sometimes acne prone but not often.

I also use Origins Zero Oil cleanser at night and in the morning for the past month. It has reduced oiliness during the day but has not helped much with my whiteheads and few acne. Should i change my cleanser again?

Thank you.

beautylovingirl

Re: Help With Whiteheads

(0) Hearts

As with any product reading and following directions on how to apply and store a product is a must.:smileyhappy:

jennjenn123

As to what Spyski said about the top layer drying up, I'm anticipating this being an issue as well.  I use a cotton swab to get the pink stuff (the active ingredient), but it soaks up quite a bit of the liquid as well.  The main component of the liquid is isopropyl alcohol.  That's what rubbing alcohol usually is, so if the liquid level gets low, add some rubbing alcohol, and you're good to go.  I'm assuming the purpose of the liquid layer (and not shaking the bottle) is to help keep oxygen in the air from potentially reacting with the sulfur.

Spyski

I was looking at reviews on the Eradikate last night and it looks like the top layer can dry up over a period of a couple months if not kept in a cool, dry place. I remember using something like this ages ago where the acne treatment had a clear part on top (alcohol) and pink (sulfur) on the bottom, but I'm not sure what the name of it was. I think my mom got it at a drugstore back in the 90s and I would always shake up the bottle. Haha little did I know you weren't supposed to shake it up :smileytongue:

Alapharah

Thank you all for such helpful advices! I am definitely taking all of this into consideration. I am thinking of trying Murad's Oil Control Mattifier, Kate Somerville's Eradikate, and PTR Sulfur Masque.

-If i decide to use the PTR Sulfur Masque, should i stop using the REN Glycol Lactic mask and just replace it?

-Also, what are your thoughts on night moisturizers? Should i stick to my Korres Pomegranate Balancing Cream + Argan Oil?

-I would like to try the PTR Beta Hydroxy Acid 2% Acne Wash, but i read reviews that it is very drying. I would like a cleanser that i would be able to use night and morning.

Thanks again everyone. I am very grateful for such helpful responses!

lylysa

(0) Hearts

In terms of the PTR mask and the REN mask, you can use both, but be sure to space them out, maybe even up to a week and a half apart so you're not overloading skin. The REN mask works with glycolic and lactic acid to chemically exfoliate skin, so you're removing surface layers built up but also promoting healthy cellular regeneration, the PTR mask will act more like a detoxing/purifying mask as the sulphur draws out impurities and helps dry out sebum-based blemishes. Since both work by removing or taking something away, you don't want to use them too close together as it may overwork skin. The PTR mask can be applied on spot areas too, so no need to apply it all over every time to use it. This should help prevent overloading your entire face.

The Korres cream you're using is a good Summer choice as the texture is lighter and won't feel so heavy. The argan oil might be something you consider using less often, though it works great for some, it's also an issue causer for some folks (Beauty Talk is notorious for having some folks that are in love with AO and some that just found it wasn't for them or made their problematic skin worse). Maybe save the AO for spots that get extremely dry. The Murad Mattifier is a great morning lotion as it also contains SPF, so you're protecting you're skin that is being treated with so many active ingredients. Some other moisturizers to look into can be found here:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Dry/Dry-Skin-but-Sensitive-to-Heavy-Moisturizers/m-p/532379#M478

Though that user states their skin is dry, gel based moisturizers also work great for oily skin as it's not heavy or greasy feeling.

The PTR wash might be incorporated in your routine as a chemical based exfoliating wash and used alongside your regular one. Beta Hydroxy Acid, most commonly referred to as salicylic acid, can be drying as it does work by purifying pores and removing dead cells, so in that instance, if you want to give it try, slowly ease it into your routine, don't just switch washes overnight and start using it daily.

Maybe try using your Origins wash daily and the PTR one 1-2x a week. Then alternate the REN and PTR mask every week and a half, or even just use the PTR mask as a spot treatment mask. Follow up with the Murad mattifier in the AM and the Korres or another lightweight gel moisturizer in the PM. You can use one of the sulphur based spot treatments on whiteheads that pop up along the way.

voxover

I would definitely highly recommend the Peter Thomas Roth Therapeutic Sulfur Masque mentioned by lylysa. When I've  been very careful about applying the mask, not keeping it on too long, and gently removing the mask, my results have been unbelievably excellent.

Benefits

I have oily acne-prone sensitive skin that typically features at least two deep painful/irritating cysts, many festering evil jaw bumps, whiteheads constantly and lots of adjacent redness. When I used this mask for 20 min-1 hour on my face's active cysts, areas of underskin bumps and some whiteheads, which are very red and raised, I have had experiences with the following:

1. Cheek cysts become whiteheads without any prodding.

2. The bumps and whiteheads along my jaw are waaay less raised and red! I am estatic! YAY!!! (My sister actually asked the day after one mask if I was wearing foundation/concealer.):smileyvery-happy:3. Dried whiteheads a bit like benzyl peroxide 5% gel does.

4. I think it also did some pore-shrinking as well, but I haven't looked too closely so that might just be temporary.

Cautions/warnings

1. Follow the directions and always test-patch first and wait to make sure there are no adverse reactions.

2. Use a gentle cleanser that doesn't irritate your skin on your face before and after a mask. Use a gentle moisturizer after. I used ice and then Korres Yogurt Cooling Gel after my mask because my face was a bit irritated and I know what works for me.

3. Make sure not to use something else that can irritate/make skin more sensitive/be drying, such as various acne and anti-aging products (especially BP and retinoids), on the same area before the mask or immediately  after.

The PTR Acne Spot and Area Treatment seems pretty nice from what I've tried of it too.

jennjenn123

The EradiKate sulfur treatment the others have mentioned has worked for my whiteheads. 

Also, you could try using one cleanser in the morning and a different one in the evening if you're particularly attached to your current cleanser or just want to finish it so it doesn't go to waste.

lylysa

Whiteheads are pretty easy to tackle with the right products, cleansers are going to do only so much as you're washing it off your skin, try instead to find a treatment product to use along with your mask and cleanser.

Whiteheads are cause when trapped sebum and oil, along with other material is trapped in a pore but doesn't oxidize as opposed to blackheads, which do end up oxidizing. That is why when these pop they release pus.

Sulphur is an ingredient that is becoming more and more popular to treat blemishes along with the usual benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid as sulphur dries out whiteheads in a little amount of time to help remove the problem without picking or popping it, which can lead to scarring. Sulphur is found in the EradiKate product Beautylovingirl mentioned (which is very similar to Mario Badescu's Drying Lotion) below as well as Murad's Acne Spot Treatment:

swfupload_4566327641784078222.jpg

Bare Mineral's Blemish Therapy, which is in powder form:

swfupload_850872202847775010.jpg

If your whiteheads occur in clusters, you can even look into doing a spot treatment mask with Peter Thomas Roth's Therapeutic Sulphur Mask:

swfupload_4232896670160695699.jpg

Sulphur treatments can be used more than once a day, but due to the drying effects it's safer to see how your skin reacts with just a one time, night application and from there gauge if you can bump it up to day and night use, or even up to 3x a day. Follow up with a good moisturizer as well! The two Diana mentioned are top notch!

Alapharah

Hi Dianabt,

Thank you for the advice! My skin is not as sensitive, but i do have blackheads and scarring.

For a day moisturizer, i use Cetaphil's Oil Control Moisturizer spf 30. On top of that, i use Miracle Skin Transformer spf 20. I don't wear foundation or use heavy makeup.

At night after i cleanse, i use Korress Pomegranate Balancing Cream-gel moisturizer with one drop of Argon Oil.

Hi Beautylovingirl,

Thank you for your advice! I was afraid of using the Murad kit because i just started using Origins Zero Oil wash and didn't want to change again. I was thinking that if i did change my cleanser, Murad may possible help with my whiteheads and few blemishes.

dianabt

[ Edited ]

Hello!

I would give a new cleanser a shot as it may help to remove bacteria that your current one is not getting. You may even want to try an oil free, spf based moisturizer that will keep your skin matte but that is slightly stronger:  

Murad Oil Control Mattifier with SPF 15

swfupload_711913478760970670.jpg

Peter Thomas Roth Clini Matte All Day Oil Control SPF 20

swfupload_7599584062351026475.jpg

Do you have a store near? You may want to visit for a few samples to try out! 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
beautylovingirl

Also look at something like Blemish Banisher Kit from Kate Somerville it has the Eradikate  in it that would also help with your whiteheads, but you may also want to look at the Murad Complex Acne kit too.:smileyhappy:

s1167147-main-hero[1].jpg

dianabt

Hi Alapharah, 

The Ren mask is particularly suited for more mature skins or those that have blackheads or scarring- It may help remove bacteria but if your skin is sensitive it might not be the best product to actually treat the whiteheads.

Try a gel based cleanser to use daily that will not make your skin more oily but will also help to reduce bacteria and buildup- Try the Peter Thomas Roth Beta Hydroxy Acid 2% Acne Wash which will help with not just blackheads but also whiteheads and acne blemishes:

swfupload_1194660831907729217.jpg

Also, what type of makeup are you using?  It could be your makeup or even possibly any moisturizer. Please let us know and we can recommend a few items! 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 16 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • dianabt
    • lylysa
    • beautylovingirl
    • Spyski
    • jennjenn123