opinionatedjenn

Hakuhodo Brush Users!

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I bought some Hakuhodo eye brushes after seeing Temptalia reviews raving about them as well as some recommendations on here. 

I want to buy a brush for highlighting above my cheekbones with Nars Albatross. I was thinking of getting the J4004 based upon a Temptalia review. Has anyone used that or can anyone recommend a better brush for that purpose from Hakuhodo?

I also want to buy a concealer brush from them but there are so many choices making it difficult. Does anyone have recommendations for that?

I would appreciate it! I want to place my order soon. My old brushes are no longer pleasing me. 

opinionatedjenn

Re: Hakuhodo Brush Users!

My review of the brushes:

J214R: This brush is very soft and fluffy! I used it to apply and blend MAC Studio Finish Concealer (Studio Finish is a dry and very pigmented cream formula ) on acne hyperpigmentation first even though it isn't a traditional concealer brush (I wanted to see if it would work). It was so easy to blend it, it disappeared right into my skin. I was so amazed that I decided to use it to apply concealer on my under eye area. That worked just as well. I definitely would recommend this brush to others. Especially because I did not even plan on using MAC Studio Finish under my eyes since it's a dry formula but I decided to try it just because this brush was so good at blending. 

J004G (Similar to MAC 239): I used this brush sweep on color on my entire lid. It picked up just the right amount of eyeshadow and allowed me to pack on color! And, of course this one is soft, too. I have not tried MAC 239 though so, I cannot directly compare it to that brush. But, sweetmakeuptemptations blog compared this brush to MAC 239 and said it could do everything that MAC 239 could which is a holy grail product for many people. This brush satisfied me enough so that I am no longer tempted to try out the MAC 239 brush. :smileyhappy:

J4004: I used this brush with NARS Albatross. It is thin but I didn't feel like it was too thin at all. It definitely allowed me to lightly apply the highlighter. I have used other brushes to apply NARS Albatross and it's so easy to over do it and have it look like a disco ball glittery look. But, with this fan brush, I was able to achieve a soft sun kissed glow. My only complaint would be that I think I would have preferred a smaller fan brush for cheekbone highlighting. I feel like that would make the process quicker. But, then again-I do have a small face so, that may not be a concern to others. I might look into an angled highlighter brush for cheek bone highlighting if I do not get used to this brushes sizes. 

I took pictures of all of these brushes but Sephora gives me an error code when I try to upload them so, if anyone really wants to see then-how do I fix that or what is the problem? Lol. 

opinionatedjenn

P.S. I liked the J214R so much that I am thinking of using that brush for eyeshadow blending and switching out my J5523 brush for concealer. Or buying 2. It's just that great! 

Marika123

(0) Hearts

Thanks so much for the review! I was planning to get J5523 as a replacement for my MAC 217, but now I think I might just get J214R, everyone seems to love it so much

DiVWA

@marika123, I'm unable to reply directly to your comment asking me to update when I got my brushes.

I tried out both the J214R and the J125R. I've only used each of them once so my opinion could change after I've had more time using them. Both brushes are soft. The J214R seems to be a bit better for overall blending and buffing--the bristles on it are a bit longer than on the J125R and it's easier to move the brush around. The J125R seems more densely packed, and this, combined with the bristles being shorter and the brush being angled, means this brush is better at more direct application and blending, like in the crease that goes diagonally down from the tear duct. I like both brushes a lot and see myself using both of them for under-eye concealer.

I also used my Le Metier de Beaute Large Concealer Brush for initial application--this brush is pricy but it's wider than most concealer brushes, sort of like a small version of a foundation brush, and I think this is the best traditional concealer type brush I've owned (although it's wider and has more/longer bristles than the traditional brushes). I'm not sure how either the J214R or J125R would perform in initial application -- I tend to use a synthetic flat brush or fingers for the initial dotting/spreading of concealer under my eyes. I suspect they would be okay but these are like eyeshadow brushes to me, in which I tend to keep blending brushes separate from application ones (so the bristles used for blending don't have too much product on them).

I think if only one Hakuhodo brush could be purchased, the J214R is the one to get first, especially if creamier or thicker concealers are being used. This assumes that one already owns a traditional concealer brush for applying, or uses fingers or sponge or something for initial application. If more targeted concealing is being done, such as on small areas of the cheek or other small areas of the face, then it's worthwhile to get the J125R as a second brush.

Marika123

Wow, you are super fast :smileyhappy: thank you so much for such detailed review, too bad it allows me to give you just one heart

Now I think I need both brushes - one for concealer, and the other one for crease. Those brushes are pure evil for one's wallet  :smileyhappy:

thanks again

DiVWA

Thanks marika. My second day using both brushes and I'm really liking the J214R. Think that one may just be enough (for recommendation purposes).

mysana

I have been using Hakuhodo brushes for years. Here are my brushes:

S142L – It blends the colors on my eyes so easily, use it lightly for a flawless effect. MY FAVORITE<3

G5556L – Foundation/Cream blush brush

s142l.jpgg5556l.jpg

I also got a full set (they are so amazing):

imag0908.jpg

Powder brush / Blush brush / Eyeshadow brush / Lip brush / Pouch for travel

My blog : Makuality (Google it)

opinionatedjenn

(0) Hearts

I bet they are. I want to slowly upgrade all of my brushes to Hakuhodo. :smileyhappy:

Marika123

Dear opinionatedjenn and DiVWA

Please come back and share your thoughts about those brushes

I'm very curios about them, and planning to place Hakuhodo order soon too :smileyhappy:

opinionatedjenn

(0) Hearts

I received my brushes today. Ordered the on the 5th and already got them today (the 8th)! Sephora won't let me upload the pictures though. It says: Error Code: Upload Failed. Does anyone know how to fix that? 

opinionatedjenn

(0) Hearts

them*

opinionatedjenn

I promise I will as soon as I receive them! :smileyhappy:

For the J214R, Mac 239 dupe and J4004. 

DiVWA

opinionatedjenn, because I was looking through the brushes to help you decide, of course that meant that I had to actually buy some after all that leg work. :smileywink: I couldn't decide so ordered both the J125R and the J214R. Not to mention, I received my Le Metier de Beaute Large Concealer Brush, which I plan to use for initial application. So I think I'll be set for concealer brushes! I do know from experience that if one of the brushes don't work out, that they can always be used for something else. I have several brushes that I set aside because they didn't work for their intended purpose and then rediscovered they were perfect for a different product/application.

We should revisit this post thread to share our findings... :smileywink:

opinionatedjenn

Lol, you definitely deserve to after all the research you did. :smileyhappy: 

And, yeah, we should! I had a hard time choosing between those 2 brushes, too. So, I definitely am curious about the 1 I did not get. (J125R). 

And, hmm. You are right. They probably can be used for something else most of the time. :smileyhappy:

Anyway, I will be back on this thread after I receive and use my new brushes. 

clemon

I was recently in japan for a short vacation and got to visit a Hakuhodo counter in Tokyo (sadly, it wasn't the one that carried all of their brushes, nor could I communicate in Japanese with the lovely sales assistant). Nonetheless, I got to touch and feel so many brushes which was exciting. In the end, due to my limited budget, I walked away with 3 brushes. 

I was looking for a small face brush at the time, one to use for highlighting, precision powdering or as a small blush brush. I did A LOT of research before I went (so many choices!), and I decided on B5521 for this purpose. It's the same as the G5521 others have recommended previously, and there really is a reason for the multiple recommendations! One of the things I liked it about it is that it's a blend of goat and blue squirrel hair, but at $35, it's still quite affordable. With squirrel hair blended in, it provides a light application. Comparing to the other brushes I bought that day, which were all goat hair, this one is noticeably softer; and comparing to the other brushes more commonly seen in the western market, I find it more unique.  

Have fun brush shopping! I know I did :smileywink:

opinionatedjenn

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Thanks! It must have been so cool to go to Japan! I already went ahead and placed an order. I got the J4004 fan brush. I will look at the one you and others recommended if it doesn't work out for some reason though.

:smileyhappy:

DiVWA

Too many decisions!

opinionatedjenn

Agreed!

Marika123

Hi,

Just wanted to add my five cents :smileyhappy:

Recently I've bought few Hakuhodo brushes: K007 for eyeliner, G545 for liquid foundation and concealing large areas and J242G for concealer/cream eyeshadow. I love all of them, they are definitely the softest best quality brushes I've ever owned.

I also have Wayne Goss brush #2 and love it too. It's a great multitasker - I use it for blush, contouring and even powder (I have small face though). The brush's look and feel is very similar to Hakuhodo ones, it is quite possible that's where Wayne manufactures his brushes.

When buying Hakuhodo brushes I was browsing different beauty blogs and the best one I've found was sweetmakeuptemptations created by Sonia. She has great collection of brushes (not only Hakuhodo ones) and her reviews are very detailed and helpful. She's very sweet and knowledgable too, people ask her questions about brushes all the time, and she tries to help everyone.

The biggest disadvantage with Buying Hakuhodo brushes is that you can't see them before buying. So what I did when choosing brushes was taking brush size from their web site and drawing the whole brush on paper. This way I could put the brushes I already have next to it and get better idea of its size.

Hakuhodo customer service is great too, they respond quickly and really know their brushes, their answers are really helpful and informative

opinionatedjenn

(0) Hearts

Hello, thank you. I just looked up the J242G and now I am thinking of getting that one. So many choices!!! Are you able to blend with that? If not then I will get that plus J124R or BJ125R along with it. 

And, yeah, I have a few eye brushes, they are really soft. I will slowly upgrade my other brushes to Hakuhodo, too. :smileyvery-happy:

And, yeah, you might be right cause Hakuhodo manafactures for other companies.  I will look up sweetmakeuptemptations as well.

Their customer service is great, they recommended a few for me. :smileyhappy: 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 54 replies
  • 44 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • aviscardi
    • akhorounjaia
    • mysana
    • Marika123
    • opinionatedjenn