opinionatedjenn

Hakuhodo Brush Users!

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I bought some Hakuhodo eye brushes after seeing Temptalia reviews raving about them as well as some recommendations on here. 

I want to buy a brush for highlighting above my cheekbones with Nars Albatross. I was thinking of getting the J4004 based upon a Temptalia review. Has anyone used that or can anyone recommend a better brush for that purpose from Hakuhodo?

I also want to buy a concealer brush from them but there are so many choices making it difficult. Does anyone have recommendations for that?

I would appreciate it! I want to place my order soon. My old brushes are no longer pleasing me. 

Marika123

Re: Hakuhodo Brush Users!

(0) Hearts

J242G is a little bit longer(I mean the actual hair, not handle) more narrow and thinner than MAC 239, this would be the easiest way to compare. I actually tried to use it with Studio Finish concealer and quite like it, but since it can perform only minimal blending (it's not really fluffy), you have to take tiniest amount of concealer, distribute it and then apply some more as required. You can't pile up concealer and then try to blend it out with this brush.

With that being said, this brush is great for applying concealer for relatively small zones. I have thin skin and sides of my noses near the eyes can get dark blue, it's like weird extension of under eye circles, and this brush is perfect for that hard to reach area. I also love it for eyeshadow base (I use MAC Paint Pot), and it works great for powder eyeshadows as well.

If you prefer fluffier brush (which would be great with Studio Finish Concealer and definitely will be perfect for blending), you might want to check out J5523, it can be used with creams as well. It is similar to MAC 217, but a little bit thinner. I'm planning to buy it in future, since I've recently bought Sephora #57 brush for that purpose (good brush, but I wish it was a little smaller).

I wish I knew about Hakuhodo brushes sooner, I've bought quite a few expensive brushes and unfortunately some of them are definitely not worth the money when compared to Hakuhodo

Regarding deciding what to get - don't do impulse buys, you can end up with too many brushes :smileyhappy: Write down all the brushes you are interested in, and forget about them for a week. Then look through the list again and see if you really need them all, most of the times it works really well for me :smileyhappy:

opinionatedjenn

(0) Hearts

P.S. I have a question!

You said that J242G is similar to MAC 239. I mentioned that I plan to buy MAC 239 in the future. But, since you have it-do you think it is comparable to MAC 239 in a better way or would you stick with MAC 239?

Marika123

As I mentioned before, Hakudodo J242G is slightly longer and more narrow than MAC 239. MAC 239 is a great brush, but I find that J242G is a better one for me since I have smaller eyes. For closer dupe, take a look at J004G, it is almost like a twin for MAC 239 and costs only $20. Here's a photo from sweetmakeuptemptation blog where you can see and compare all 3 brushes. upload_1760209435673156794.jpg

opinionatedjenn

(0) Hearts

Thank you so much!!! 

That picture was SUPER helpful. :smileyhappy:

I think I will go with the Hakuhodo dupe because Hakuhodo brushes tend to be softer from my experience. And, it really is almost identical. Plus like you said, it's only $20.

=)

opinionatedjenn

Ohhh, ok. I actually plan on buying MAC 239 in the future to pack on eyeshadow base colors, etc. And, I am going to be using it in a small area-just like 3-4 small acne hyperpigmentations.

And, as for the J5523. I already have that. I use it for eyeshadow blending and it works really well for that purpose! But, I prefer a duo fibre or synthetic fibre brush for concealer.

And, omogosh, I totally agree with you about knowing about Hakuhodo earlier! I have an expensive powder brush and blush brush and after I found out about Hakuhodo. I felt as if I was ripped off because they definitely aren’t as soft which is very important to me. And, I don’t want to just upgrade right away. So, I plan to use those until they actually wear out and then treat myself to Hakuhodo brushes. But, at least we know now. :smileyhappy:

Forgetting about stuff for a week is a good idea. But, I’ve actually been looking to get a concealer brush for a few weeks now. I am going to analyze my choices now and then decide because I could really use one. 

Marika123

For duo fibre take a look at J214R and J122R, I don't have them but I've heard great things about them and plan to buy one of those in future too :smileyhappy: I've also PMed you some posts about brushes

Marika123

(0) Hearts

I just looked through my notes, and I was actually thinking of buying either J122R or its smaller sister J125R for concealer, they are supposed to be great with creams, sorry about confusion

opinionatedjenn

(0) Hearts

I just placed an order! :smileyhappy:

I will check out your message right now though.

And, ohhh, I was actually recommended those 2, the G358 (I think those were the numbers) or the J214R by a Hakuhodo representative.

It took me awhile to decide but I actually picked the J214R. If that doesn't work for some reason then I will consider the J125R. 

aviscardi

I'm not into fan brushes, but i use the WG #2 brush for highlighting

opinionatedjenn

(0) Hearts

Thanks, I will keep that in mind if the J4004 doesn't work out. 

blackkitty2014

(0) Hearts

I use G5521 for Nars Albatross. Love the brush. A white hair version of it is J5521. In my personal experience, I wouldn't recommend J4004. Too thin for me. I only use it when I overdo my bronzer/blush which don't happen very often.

opinionatedjenn

(0) Hearts

Hmm, thank you for your opinion. How would you say the J4004 is with picking up product vs. the J5521? I prefer something that doesn't pick up too much product for highlighting so, maybe I might actually like that the J4004 is thin. Also, do you use the G5521 just for Albatross or other products, too such as blush/bronzer? 

blackkitty2014

(0) Hearts

Actually I havent used J4004 for a long time. Let me re-experiment with it using Nars Albatross and will let you know. :smileywink: I used G5521 long time ago for Nars Laguna before I had the Hakuhodo Itabake.

opinionatedjenn

(0) Hearts

Ohhh, ok! Lol.

blackkitty2014

So I did use the J4004 for Albatross. I already saw you place the order :smileyhappy: I think you will happy with it for Albatross purpose. Yes I think hard too mess it up with highlighting powder since it picks up little product especially with Nars Albatross or New Order. While you are into fan brushes, please look into the Hakuhodo white and black fan brush. I only had the white one. Love it. Btw you just brought out the big Hakuhodo BT community.:smileyhappy: should we start posting our brush collection pix? Lol :smileywink:

opinionatedjenn

(0) Hearts

I definitely was happy with the J4004 with Albatross! :smileyhappy: You mean the black version of the J4004? Dang, I should have looked into that before placing my order. And, posting pictures would be great but I was unable to post mine's. :smileysad: It gave me an error code. Maybe there is a limit to the size of the picture?

blackkitty2014

(0) Hearts

Something is wrong with Sephora website. I have hard time loading picture too. But here is another shot of the brushes' heads. Sorry my brushes are dirty.

image.jpg

blackkitty2014

(0) Hearts

image.jpg

Sorry I meant this fan brush and it's black version. I think the white one about $44 and the black one about $63. Just in case you're looking for more fan brushes :smileywink: Enjoy your brushes. :smileyhappy:

blackkitty2014

Just to clarify, i use Hakuhodo white fan for different purposes (not for highlighting or I will look liked a clown) since it is a giant compare to J4004. 

MarciaBrady

I just bought a set that included the G5521 highlighting brush (it's also sold separately), and I looooove it. It's a goat/blue squirrel mix and can be used with both powder and liquid. I've tried both and the brush is equally dreamy with either.

Sadly, I can't weigh in on a concealer brush, as I haven't tried one of theirs yet. Soon...

opinionatedjenn

(0) Hearts

Hmmm, I will compare that brush with the J4004! 

Thank you. :smileyhappy: It is nice to have something to compare with. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 54 replies
  • 44 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • aviscardi
    • akhorounjaia
    • mysana
    • Marika123
    • opinionatedjenn
    • clemon