sammieem

HELP: Dry combination skin with breakouts

My skin is dry combination, I tend to have an oily forehead/t zone and around my eyes. My cheeks and the rest of my face are really dry. I've been washing my face everyday twice a day, and moisturizing after with a salicylic acid moisturizer, using face masks, and a Mario Badescu treatment. Lately I have been having breakouts that don't seem to be getting better. I use spot treatments but no matter how much I moisturize even on my oily areas I still end up getting gross dry flaky spots where I treat my acne. 

Any tips/ products I can use to get rid of acne/and or dry spots? 

andyhtrieu

Re: HELP: Dry combination skin with breakouts

The salicylic acid moisturizer might be causing your dry spots. You don't need to use salicylic acid all over your face, especially if you don't need it in certain areas. If you're you're using the Mario Badescu Drying Lotion, that could also be causing your dry spots. It's contains alcohol and sulfur, which are extremely drying and damaging. Try using benzoyl peroxide instead because it is less drying. 

sammieem

(0) Hearts

thank you! I'll try using a different moisturizer and see if it works!

dianabt

(0) Hearts

Hi Sammieem, 

I know how you feel, I have pretty combination skin and recently had a few breakouts where no matter what, the skin around the breakouts was still dry and flaky, 

The moisturizer you are using COULD be the culprit if you're applying it to your entire face- try using a simpler oil free moisturizer and a good salicylic or glycolic cleanser that will clean all of your skin. Follow up with your spot treatment just in the areas that need it and hopefully you should have less breakouts.  Are you using a toner after washing your face to remove any residue or buildup of makeup? Those can be great if you're prone to breakouts as well. 

Try the Peter Thomas Roth Anti Aging Cleansing Gel which is great for all skin types and helps with breakouts and dissolving buildup:

http://www.sephora.com/anti-aging-cleansing-gel-P39274?skuId=571265

Peter Thomas Roth - Anti-Aging Cleansing Gel

and also try a good oil free moisturizer that is in a lotion or fluid texture and not a cream. Even a gel would benefit your skin as they absorb easily:

Kate Somerville HydraClear Hydrating Acne Gel

http://www.sephora.com/hydraclear-hydrating-acne-gel-P385429?skuId=1604479

Kate Somerville - HydraClear™ Hydrating Acne Gel

Or Korres Pomegranate Balancing Cream Gel

http://www.sephora.com/pomegranate-balancing-cream-gel-moisturiser-P305109?skuId=1393156

Korres - Pomegranate Balancing Cream-Gel Moisturiser

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
sammieem

(0) Hearts

Thank you for your suggestions next time I go to my Sephora store I'll be sure to pick some of them up!

dianabt

(0) Hearts

Try asking for samples too! That can be a good way to try new items without risking the purchase first :smileywink: 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 hearts
  • 3 in conversation
    • dianabt
    • andyhtrieu
    • sammieem