KeriJoi

Foundation

(0) Hearts

So.. I am learning how to contour, however, using a tinted moisturizer instead of a foundation is not working for me. I need a foundation for coverage with a nude look. I have combination skin and my color is 2y11. Also, recently when I went for a makeover for contouring the makeup artist used a eyeshadow (Sephora;s Coffee), however I think I did something wrong. She stated because I am med/dark a bronzer would not look right on me. Your thoughts please? Also please recommend a foundation.

KeriJoi

Re: Foundation

That's okay beautylovingirl!! :smileyhappy:

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

OOPS! I just noticed how dark you complexion is. Sorry:smileysad: Dior Amber  Powder would be too light.:smileysad:

KeriJoi

(0) Hearts

Thank you Janine. I just got back from Sephora and I forgot all about getting Bobbi Brown for contour..lol. A sales associate helped me (who usually helps me with skin care and I decided to purchase the Becca Radiant Foundation (Tobacco). She also told me I had the wrong kind of powder foundation. I also purchased the Cov FX Cream Foundation for every day use. I tried the other foundations and it wasn't working well for me.

KeriJoi

(0) Hearts

medium to full coverage

KeriJoi

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I would like to have a matte look. I am oily now :smileysad:. Please see below article. There is a picture of a woman and how her face looks with contouring/highlight. Only problem is i have a couple of acne problems/small spots on my face. Thanks Janine!

janinebt

Yep either of those foundation sticks will be able to help you in contouring. You can just apply them directly in a 3C motion on either side of your face. Go along your jawbone, the hollows of your cheeks, and along your forehead close to the hairline to achieve a contour.

You can add highlighter to the the high points of your face (where the sun would naturally hit). Since you're oily, I'd say stick with a powder like NARS Albatross (one of my all time favorite highlighters) which will give you a stunning fair golden glow.

swfupload_6572000452263795044.jpg

If you have some redness in your skin you may need to try using a green primer to help neutralize that. I'd recommend Smashbox's Color Adjust primer along with either Kat Von D's Lock It Foundation or Laura Mercier's Oil Free Supreme Foundation. Both are absolutely stunning and will give you the coverage that you want without feeling too heavy.

swfupload_5762318230825774744.jpg

swfupload_1895918712082356445.jpgswfupload_124493470368301058.jpg

Whimsically yours,
Janine
janinebt

Hi KeriJoi!

A good general rule of thumb for bronzer is to go a good two to three shades darker than your complexion. I'd recommend using a foundation stick or even a concealer to contour. The Bobbi Brown Foundations are an excellent way to sculpt the face. Warm Walnut 7.5 or Warm Walnut 8 should work best based on your skin IQ number (they're much darker than they look). I'd highly recommend checking these out in a store if you can just so that you can choose a contour color that you're most comfortable with. I'm around the same color family as you and I personally prefer a more rich red contour color, but some people prefer something a bit more neutral or yellow.

swfupload_1147086185621069310.jpg

swfupload_5256249098730615592.jpg

In terms of foundation we have SO many. What exactly are you looking for in a foundation? Something more matte or something dewy? Generally those with oily skin prefer a matte finish and most drier skin types like dewy finishes; but it's totally up to you. Do you want something that is light coverage, medium coverage, or full coverage?

Whimsically yours,
Janine
KeriJoi

Thank you. You have been very helpful. I just like to look natural/nude with a contour look. You're right, I don't want heavy products, etc that will have my face looking too shiny.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

You're very welcome! That's what Beauty Talk is here for along with myself and all its users! :smileyhappy:

KeriJoi

ok Thanks. I have Nars Albatross and I use that as a highlight. I think I will just find something to complete the contour and disregard the bronzer. I think I am going to try the Smashbox Liquid Hao Foundation. I saw that as one of the recommendations for coverage. While im at Sephora I will try the other recommended foundations. 

lylysa

(0) Hearts

That works, again, bronzing is not required. Most of the time bronzing techniques follow suit with where you would apply contouring products so you're helping to bronze and contour together, but again, it's a matter of finishes and formulations. If you're solely aiming to contour, your goal isn't to "warm" up the skin or make it look like it has that "healthy color from within" look you get from the sun, contouring means you're carving out dimension and enhancing angles and planes, so this is done with matte finishes as to avoid catching light. If you're aiming to bronze, you can use products with matte, satin, or slight shimmer finishes to give that "warm glow" to skin, it just so happens where you apply it would be areas where you would generally contour as well, so you do get some contouring benefits, but bronzer isn't applied as heavily as contouring products so you avoid your face looking too shiny if you use a satin/shimmer finish.

KeriJoi

(0) Hearts

Nevermind. I don't think I want to do a bronzer if I have a powder foundation

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Bronzers can still be used even if you use a powder foundation, but it's all about preference. Bronzer is not required; however, if you choose to use one, pick a suitable formula and finish that will compliment your look and skin.

The last thread at the first post I responded with gives an explanation of how bronzers and contouring can be linked to one another in regards to application, but how they can vary due to finishes of the products used. That sound help clarify a bit out in regards to debating between bronzing and contouring.

You can use a matte foundation powder (pressed or loose) to contour as well as bronze, but bronzing does allow more leeway in regards to using products with a slight satin or shimmer finish as opposed to contouring as that is generally done with flat, matte shades as to mimic where shadow naturally falls on the planes of your face. Avoid using products that are too shimmer or packed with chunky glitter to bronze, you don't want skin to be too reflective looking, this would draw too much light and illuminate all over, thus defeating the purpose of bronzing/contouring and is more suited if you wish to highlight (which is also covered in the last thread).

KeriJoi

(0) Hearts

Can you also recommend a bronzer? Although my color is 2y11, wouldn't i go a shade lighter for foundation if I am using a bronzer?

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Bronzer will be darker than your skin, and since it's used sparingly in certain locations on the face, there is no need to lighten your entire complexion with a lighter foundation only to go back selectively with a true to you or darker color as your bronzer.

The key is to pick a foundation that flatters your complexion, then choose a bronzer is darker, or richer in color than your skin tone. Bronzer is meant to mimic the look given to our skin when we catch that "perfect amount of sun", so it's to give us that "color from within" look. Contouring products tend to stay just 2 or 3 shades deeper than your complexion as it's applied a touch heavier than bronzer to really enhance and play up where shadow naturally fallsto carve out dimension.

KeriJoi

(0) Hearts

thank you Jgsfla. I will try these products as well.

KeriJoi

Thank you Iylysa. I am looking for a foundation for coverage all together. I would probably want a powder for contouring since i will use liquid foundation. Thanks for your input

beautylovingirl

[ Edited ]

Dior's Amber Diamond Powder might work for you,it's what I contour with. And it also gives you that little touch of radiance where you need it. It's out of stock online but you can get it at any Sephora store as well. And for a foundation look at Powder Foundations they can give full coverage as well as liquids and you can still use the Dior Shimmer Powder to contour.(And don't let the word shimmer scare you it gorgeous on.!:smileyhappy:

Hope this helps!

lylysa

(0) Hearts

No problem!

The Smashbox Liquid Halo foundation has a lovely, lightweight gel formula with optical diffusers to help skin look flawless and wears well in an oil free formula. Urban Decay's Naked Skin foundation is similar in giving skin that natural, yet controlled glow with buildable coverage, while the D&G and Dior Skin foundations also work with giving a luminous, healthy finish to skin. Foundations in the Color IQ link below that lean more to a matte finish include Nars, Stila, Lancome, and Givenchy.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Are you referring to using a tinted moisturizer as your complexion product and it not working or a tinted moisturizer as a contouring product and it not working? Are you wanting a foundation as your complexion product over all or as a contouring product?

There was a couple things in your previous thread in regards to contouring:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/Contouring/m-p/633963

Did you want a liquid, cream, or powder product to contour with?

I gave a suggestion with Lancome's Dual Finish Powder on how to use it as a foundation (pulled from your Color IQ #) and how to pick complimentary contouring shades in the same line with similar undertones as to avoid clashing on skin.

Bronzer can look "not right" if it's indeed the wrong shade, so you can most definitely wear bronzer, just be sure it's suited for your complexion so that it flatters you.

In regards to foundation suggestions, take a look at the ones from the Color IQ generator:

http://www.sephora.com/IQ/color/results.jsp?coloriq=true&withSecondary=true&shade_code=2Y11

That's where I pulled my reference numbers and colors for the Lancome powder.

Take a look at this thread here where I gave a break down on contouring, highlighting, and even blush techniques, tips and tools to use, as well as a break down on why specific areas are targeted:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Makeup/experimenting-with-new-makeup-ideas/m-p/416325#M1078

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 8 hearts
  • 5 in conversation
    • janinebt
    • lylysa
    • beautylovingirl
    • JGSFLA
    • KeriJoi
Photos6