Foundation for LIGHT skin with OLIVE undertones?? Hard combo :/

(0) Hearts

I'm having a hard time finding a foundation for very light skin with OLIVE undertones. Any suggestions??

Right now, I wear Bobbi Brown foundation stick in Warm Ivory. I always thought my skin had a yellow undertone, but it's definitely more olive... even though I have light skin.

I feel like all the normal olive foundations are too dark for me. I have never been able to find something that helps my face match my neck (quite the struggle, as we all know). It's always either too pink, or yellow (which is closer!), but too light. 

Does anyone know a brand and/ or specific shade that might fit this? 

Thank you! xoxox

Re: Foundation for LIGHT skin with OLIVE undertones?? Hard combo :/

(0) Hearts

I always make the oddest foundation mixtures in attempts to match my body. My best mix has been 1:1 pump of Koh Gen Do 213 and Nars All Day Luminous Weightless Stromboli...

If you do find something that works out, then please let us know! I have so many foundations that don't match me, and every time I go to Sephora (which is a few hours away!) I am ALWAYS given something too pink, orange, or too dark. It's so frustrating! Good luck!

(0) Hearts

HI!!! 

@JazaChai @jeditrainee @k617 @angelszenden

Wow thank you ALL for the fantastic range of recommendations!! I've definitely thought of Make Up Forever and Koh Gen Do - but the other ones I hadn't even considered. These all really open up my options. I'll have to take a day at Sephora to really seriously try all of these.

Thank you again! This was a huge help Smiley Happy

(0) Hearts

I second the recommendation for Koh Gen Do Aqua Foundation #213.  It is the best light olive foundation I have found.  If your Sephora does not have it in store to swatch, you can order a sample on KGD's website, which is nice to do anyway because you can test out the foundation in a variety of different lighting situations.  

(0) Hearts

Welll, this may be too light for you, or too yellow, but maybe try Bare Minerals original (or matte) loose powder foundation in Golden Fair? It's more yellow than olive, but it's in that general direction more than other fair warm shades I have tried.

(0) Hearts

I like the Josie Maran Argan Matchmaker Serum Foundation in Light/Medium. Maybe you can get a sample and try it.

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Have you tried Koh Gen Do Aqua Foundation #213? I have the same olive undertone and also lean a bit warmer/yellow, and this foundation matches my undertone the best, by far.

I also use Urban Decay Naked Skin 4.0 which is a shade too dark but I apply a very thin layer and with it being a light coverage foundation and my neck being darker than my face, it matches my neck pretty well.

If you have access to the brand Bourjois (available in Canada at Shoppers Drug Mart), they have an excellent foundation with olive undertones too. I use Healthy Mix Serum in #53.

Another option is to use a sheer/light moisturizer. I use NARS Pure Radiant Tinted Moisturizer in Alaska. Gives me light coverage but still allows my olive undertone to show through.

Neutral/olive fair can be tough, it kept me away from makeup for years.  My skin is very pale, neutral leaning warm, prone to freckles, I tan (if I forego sunscreen), and rarely burn. My closest color match is 1Y02 in Sephora's Color IQ system. This translates into 1 on the "yellow" scale and 2 on the shade scale. 1Y or 1R (Red) is considered neutral. Olive ends up in the Y's.

Bare Minerals has a good range of neutral in its fair range for their powder foundations. The liquids on that brand have pulled too yellow and too dark for me. The powders are sheer to medium coverage.

Make up Forever has a good neutral range, as well as varying levels of coverage.

Cover Effects has a good range of neutral fair foundations in both powder and liquid form. They are heavier on the coverage. Also, their Custom Cover Drops are a pale neutral girls friend for evening out foundations that are a tad off for undertone. 

Smashbox and Nars have some good options for neutral fair BB creams/tinted moisturizers. They are about medium coverage (can be sheered out). I can make Fair in Smashbox work, and Finland in the Nars.

There is also a thread for fair/pale skin tones to discuss foundation matches and swatches. Link below:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Face/The-Fair-Pale-Thread/m-p/2281076/highlight/true#M36671

Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 heart
  • 7 in conversation