SiameseLouise

Foundation Advice Needed, Please!

Hello Ladies (and Gentlemen!) ! Although I'm still quite new to this site, I've already gotten some great beauty advice from you all--and now I could definitely use some more! My dilemma: Could someone recommend a foundation that offers relatively full coverage while still looking natural (ie, not masklike!)? My skin was once one of my outstanding features, and I only "had" to wear foundation for photos and, perhaps, "formal" events. However, once I turned 40 I developed redness on the upper side of my nose (broken capillaries) and on my cheekbone. I tried Dermablend Cover Cream, which does wear very well; however, it just doesn't look very natural. I've tried several different methods of application (several different types of foundation brushes, Beauty Blender "eggs," and various other cosmetic sponges. Currently I'm wearing Tarte's Amazonian Clay Foundation (in a tube) (I'm not certain of the exact name and don't have my makeup bag with me right now). I apply it with Sonia Kashuk's "pointed" foundation brush with the white, gray, and blackish-gray Taklon bristles. This looks more natural, but it doesn't cover quite as well as necessary. I finish my skin "look" off with a dusting of Mally Beauty's "non-powder powder" (a clay product, I believe). Any and all help and recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks so much; smiles to you all! S. Louise xxxooo 

elnxio

Re: Foundation Advice Needed, Please!

(0) Hearts

have you tried using a stippling/duo fiber brush to apply your foundation? I've found that stippling brushes provide the most natural finish while still offering the coverage you need. 

Try sonia kashuk's large duo fiber brush first (its only like $15) and if you like how it looks, you may want to invest in Mac's #187 for $42. And youtube has a bunch of tutorials on the correct way to use a stippling brush. hope that helps!

beccakasman

(0) Hearts

I think someone else mentioned this but Laura Mercier silk creme foundation really covered up any pimple, scratch, blemish, even my slight rosacea on my cheeks. Since it is full coverage I didn't just cake it on all over my face; I only used on areas where I needed to cover up any redness/zits and the tube lasted me for over a year easy. Since you want a more natural look this may work for you as well, since I used it kind of like a concealer and then blended it in with a lighter liquid or powder foundation. It is a little pricey, but totally worth the investment and try! 

dianabt

(0) Hearts

Hi SiameseLouise, 

I suggest you try a foundation with buildable coverage that has a more radiant satin finish, or even an HD finish to avoid that matte or dry finish:

Smashbox Studio Skin

swfupload_3074637720049072671.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/studio-skin-15-hour-wear-foundation-P292403?skuId=1349380

Lorac Natural Performance Foundation

swfupload_404096224246096527.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/natural-performance-foundation-P217805?skuId=1097682

MUFE HD Foundation

swfupload_1531975449632785654.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/hd-invisible-cover-foundation-P217905?skuId=1096908

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
HMNewbie

I agree with charlielovefool about Urban Decay Naked Skin.  I've been using it for a few months now and honestly, it's fabulous.  It is a very thin formula and is very natural.  If I have a blemish, I let the first coat of make-up "set" for a few minutes - while I do my eyes or something - then go back with a sponge and simply dab a little more where I need it.  I recently experienced chemical burn from a peel (not all over, thank goodness, but one patch was really bad).  When I did 2 - 3 coats of Naked Skin (only where I needed it, not over my entire face), you couldn't even see it.  Before I walk out the door, I go over my entire face with a "blurring brush" to smooth out any lines around my eyes/mouth, and it's done, no powder.  The best thing is that i don't feel like my entire face is about to crack up and fall off.  Good luck!

charlielovefool

I find that Laura Mercier's Silk Creme Foundation offers the best coverage I have ever had. I have really bad acne scarring all over my face and this covers it completely. I can apply it either by using my fingers, a stipple brush or a sponge and I still end up with a flawless look. The finish feels skin-like once you've given it time to set. Urban Decay's Naked Foundation also has good coverage but I find it takes a while longer to set. As far as applying your foundation, using your Beauty Blender damp might help to blur out the streaks and make it look more natural. Personally, round foundation brushes usually leave streaks whenever I use liquid foundations. Hope this helps.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • charlielovefool
    • beccakasman
    • dianabt
    • HMNewbie
    • elnxio
    • SiameseLouise