LaraLiu

Forehead Pimples :(

(0) Hearts

Hi everyone, I'm Lara and I'm 19. I have really bad pimples on my forehead (a lot of big and red pimples), but the rest of my face is completely fine...Well I have tried a couple of Murad Clearing Solution samples and during my first month, it worked pretty well on me and my forehead did seem to get better and after I decided to purchase a full size of that, things just get worse and worse. The pimples got big again and it's itching like hell to me. :smileysad: I'm really confused right now can someone please tell me what to do :smileysad: Thank you

ChicDabbler

Re: Forehead Pimples :(

[ Edited ]

It is possible that you might be overdoing it, either by using it too often, or using too much of it (if the sample and full size have different dispenser/packaging). Also, are you moisturizing properly? it's very tempting to dry out pimples, but dehydration hinders normal skin function and may cause it to heal slower etc, so you still need to keep it hydrated/moisturized.

Also, your skincare regimen sounds fine, I like that sunscreen, too. Since you mentioned worse skin after coming to US, I would advise looking into diet as well. I travel to China ever so often, and the dehydration/icky air on the long flight is terrible for my skin, so I always slap on a hydrating mask after I come back (a gel instead of cream sinks in better for combo skin if you are worried about acne). And for me at least, I eat more meat in America, drink less water and exercise less. None of those are particularly good for your skin. The air here is cleaner than China at least, so I find I don't have to clean as often or harshly as in China.

Anyways, try adjusting the amount of the product and make sure to eat/drink healthy for a starter. Good luck!

LaraLiu

Thank you for your advise! YES you are totally right about using too much product.

Well I've been constantly using it daily, 2 times a day. When I purchased the full-size one, I even start applying more than 2 times...Idk, maybe I'm so so so annoyed with the pimples and I just want them to disappear as fast as possible. :smileysad: So should I continue using Murad, but with less amount or I should stop completely? It seems like I have cystic acne :smileysad: 

ChicDabbler

Oh definitely use less! Cut down to 2x a day, which worked for you before, for a week to see if there's improvement. If not, then I'm afraid you might want to stop using it and look for alternatives.

Acne medication can be harsh and drying. It worked wonderfully for you when applied twice a day, but when you apply more it's possible that it's drying out and irritating your skin. Dried out/irritated skin =damaged skin so it itches (remember how the flaky skin around a wound/scab gets itchy as it heals?) and heal slower. Regardless of how much product you put on, your skin can only work so fast, so instead of dumping x3 the amount, consistency and keeping it hydrated is more important.

LaraLiu

(0) Hearts

I forgot to mention it but actually I got my full-sized from amazon, and it was like 10$ cheaper than the online store (including the shipping). Idk if I should mention this but it quite irritates me somehow...do you think I accidentally purchased a fake product? The seller has great reviews [4.9 stars over the past 12 months (8,624 ratings)] and is fulfilled by amazon so I kinda trust them at first...:smileysad: I'm new to the country so I have no idea if amazon sells authentic stuff...

ChicDabbler

Amazon does have authentic stuff (as well as fakes probably, but I've never actively tried to buy fakes, lol). The problem is you don't know if the product is expired (dept stores have faster turnover and put leftovers on sale etc). If that product have reviews marked as "verified purchase", it means that the reviewer brought the product from there instead of other seller/places, so it's probably real. It's hard to tell, but what I can tell you is that overdoing things that contain acid or retinol WILL irritate your skin/acne.

LaraLiu

(0) Hearts

I see, then my problem is that I use the product too much.Thank you so much for your advise! I'll try to cut down and see what happen in 1 week! :smileyhappy:

lylysa

Hi, LaraLiu!

I've seen the below products you use and your regimen and I'm wanting to know if you cleanse twice a day and if so, is your skin considered THAT oily to where in the day time you need to cleanse as well? Are the exfoliating/physical particles gritty or very textural or are they soft/almost gel-like? When washing, are you pressing/grinding product against skin or lightly massaging/buffing?

You may find that using a warm compress on your blemishes may ease any tenderness or inflammation if you do notice the blemish sites feeling sensitive or even painful.

LaraLiu

After washing my face, I feel really clean but after hours, it gets oil on my T-zone (forehead and nose).  I use L'Oreal Go 360 Clean Deep Exfoliating Scrub for exfoliating but I stop using it for a while now, because the scrub comes with a pad (like you see in the photo), and I'm afraid that it would seriously inflame my acnes (yes emmaclaire I have a same thought as yours :smileyhappy: ). So after that, I purchased a foam cleanser with clusters to clean my face and gently exfoliate my skin at the same time. I usually slowly press the cleanser at first so that the clusters would disappear, then I lightly massaging my face for around 2 minutes and rinse off with water. 

L'Oreal 360 Exfoliating.jpg

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

=O

I have the same L'oreal 350 cleanser (orange one) and it is a bit too drying/harsh for daily use on my combo skin. I would not recommend this one unless you've got sturdy skin, seriously clogged pores, or oily skin. I do like using the rubber pad with a gentle cleanser to work it into the skin, but I would not recommend doing that if your pimples have pus and might break with the friction.

lylysa

It's good to hear you're not being rough or using excessive pressure on your skin, especially with products that have exfoliating/physical particles to them as this can cause micro-tears in skin.

In regards to just having any sort of physical particles in your daily use cleanser (especially if you're cleansing twice a day), you may consider switching to a wash without particles.

Even if those softer or more gentle particles aren't buffing away at skin in the same manner as coarser ones, consider that the sensation and physical stimulation caused from any source and even the slightest removal of cells at the surface can build up and amount to something higher. Overexfoliating or even over-cleansing can be just as damaging to skin:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/All-Other-Concerns/Over-under-exfoliating/m-p/866757/highlight/true#...

The above thread has a response of mine that covers overexfoliating that you may find helpful and allow you to ease up on cleansing if it's not mandatory to cleanse in the morning. Since you're using a toner with witch hazel, the astringent properties in that will help address oil and the condition of pores to where you're not having to strip skin entirely with a wash.

LadyMeag below brings up a great point in regards to considering booking a consultation with a doctor or dermatologist as well.

LaraLiu

(0) Hearts

So I should go for a normal cleanser (without clusters)? Can you suggest me any exfoliating that works for combo skin? Thank you.

lylysa

You may want to consider using a cleanser/wash with chemical based exfoliants rather than physical exfoliants to cut down on risk of be too rough on blemishes.

Chemical based exfoliants that you'll come across most commonly will be beta hydroxy acids (salicylic acid) and alpha hydroxy acids (primarily glycolic/fruit acids, which are derived from sugar enzymes and citrus fruits and lactic acid, derived from milk proteins and enzymes).

AHA/BHAs can be utilized in many ways, from washes that feel and look like traditional cleansers, to even being in a blend with physical particles in a scrub, to masks, and even peels (also including pre-moistened pads that are just wiped over skin).

To be honest, with your responses to myself and all the other users here, there appears to be a lot going on that may be contributing to the changes in your skin and even the worsening of certain conditions. I would highly recommend going to a professional first for a consultation and see about stablizing things before making any super dramatic changes. Keep a skin journal and document things like what you eat, the products you're using, how your skin feels after skin care steps, any reactions/irrittion you notice, sleep patterns, and overall health factors.

Once things have reached a good calm where you can begin altering steps in your regimen, start slow and only alter one thing at a time rather than doing an overhaul and possibly overstressing skin. When you begin a new product and begin its incorporation, introduce it slowly. For example, your face wash, we'll call it wash "A" for the sake of this. Rather than go cold turkey on wash A and switch entirely over to a new wash (wash "B"), every third night, use wash B instead of A, see how your skin begins to take this change. If there are no immediate ill effects, continue using wash B every third night for up to 5 or 7 uses to where you begin to feel comfortable that it's not doing harm or overwhelming your skin and then begin using wash B every other night. Once you begin to incorporate wash B, again, if there are no ill effects, use it for another 5-7 times before phasing out wash A entirely. 

If you're utilizing a product that is left on the skin, such as a serum or even a mask/peel that you are unsure of, do a spot test along a smaller portion of affected skin and see if any reactions occur. If it does, discontinue use, be aware that certain products or ingredients may have their potency take affect but if reactions such as intense pain, immediate burning, itching, or anything harsh occurs this is a sure-fire sign that it's not right for your skin. 

In terms of chemical based exfoliants, for combination, blemish prone (forehead especially) try some of the below options:

-Kate Somerville's Clinic To Go Pads, these AHA pads utilize lactic acid as it's main source of exfoliating power. Lactic acid is one of the more gentle AHAs as the particles are larger and don't penetrate as deep into skin compared to glycolic acids. Milk enzymes also have the capabilities to soothe redness and inflammation, making it calm the skin while also treating it. Witch hazel extract is a natural astringent which is great for oily skin as it helps target pore health and elasticity, healing onion bulb powder aids in post-acne scarring, vitamin C ensures skin tone can be kept even and brightened, while sulfur and clays keep oil managed.

-Peter Thomas Roth Gentle Complexion Correction Pads, these pads utilize salicylic and glycolic acids along with witch hazel covered above. Arginine is an amino acid to help repair and also act as an anti-bacterial agent for blemish prone skin and green tea and soothing chamomile help to ease inflammation and sensitivities.

If you are persistant with wanting an exfoliator with physical particles, aim for one with smooth and soft options such as jojoba beads.

-Kate Somerville's ExfoliKate Acne Clearing Exfoliating Treatment combines chemical (glycolic, lactic, and phytic acids, which is derived from plant sources, is very gentle and aids in easing redness, inflammation, and evens skin tone) components with the physical (jojoba esters) to resurface the top layers of skin along with aid in supporting healthier cellular regeneration below the surface.

emmaclaire

I was hoping you would show up, you're the skincare guru here and I know you can actually give useful advice!

lylysa

Thanks, Emma! It's great to see your drive in regards to sun care information :smileyvery-happy:.

I'm a big proponent and believer in practicing sun safety, in fact, during bit family outings when we'll be outside everyone knows I'm the gal who'll divvy out the SPF on a regular time table!

Sonny4President

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Whenever I feel like I'm doing to much to my skin, I stop and only stick with washing my face with a gentle cleanser - I don't even put sunscreen on and just try to avoid the sun's rays throughout the day... whenever you feel your skin is tingly or feel like you have a gut feeling you shouldn't continue using something, you should stop and reconsider...

I think I recommended you this before, It's the GlamGlow Clearing Mask 

http://www.sephora.com/yourmask?icid2=HomePage_SlideShow_Choose1of5masks_06.23.14_Image

There is a promotion going on! If you buy $25 dollars of Sephora products, you can get the mask (0.3 oz) for free! It's AMAZING trust me, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give it a try! Because I know you will love it! And hopefully it will make you feel about your appearance and make you a more confident person!

emmaclaire

Please don't advise people to skip sunscreen.  Skin cancer is not a joke, and it's a very serious threat especially during the summer.  You need to wear sun screen even if you're "trying to avoid the sun's rays" because being careless can result in skin damage and/or melanoma.  

Again, skin cancer is not to be taken lightly and I implore everyone to wear SPF at all times to protect themselves from such an easily preventable disease or even death.

lylysa

Sun care is quite vital to overall skin health in general. Even in cases of avoiding direct sun, its UVA rays that are associated with the damage and ill affects are are tied to pre-mature aging and overall skin damage while it's the UVB rays that cause the darkening/change in pigmentation and coloring in the skin.

Even if the sun isn't out and about and shining its happy beams of light, UVA rays are still present. My friend decided to skip sunscreen at a St. Paddy's day parade one year on a float because it was severely overcast and ended up with third degree burns all along her shoulders and arms to the point she had to go to a doctor with the pain she was in.

In terms of acne, whether it's open blemishes or not, skin is still considered vulnerable, especially if the use of medications such as chemical exfoliants/beta hydroxy acids (like salicylic acid) is used as it works on below the surface and on deeper cellular levels. With acne, it's not just about treating the matter at hand, but also protecting to ensure that skin can properly heal and do so under supportive and healthy circumstances.

Though there are debates and preferences with suncare products and the types of sunscreen used (mineral/physical or chemical), sunscreens have by far come such a long way in advancements in the skin care world and finding a formula that is suitable for skin and even allergies is easier than ever.

Sonny4President

(0) Hearts

I'm not even in the U.S. right now but when I heard about this promotion, I JUST HAD TO BUY SOMETHING from Sephora, because I love this product so much, it works wonders for me, especially on my nose!! 

That's telling you how much I love this product lol! 

emmaclaire

I think we need a lot more information about your skincare routine, your skin type, other products you use on your skin, any skin sensitivities you may have, whether or not you've used other products that you've felt have worked for you, and what your other skin habits include.

For example, do you wash your face regularly?  Do you use moisturizer?  How often do you exfoliate? Do you use sunscreen?  What other products do you use on your skin (makeup, other skincare products)?  Do you pick at your skin?  Have you been to a dermatologist?  Do you have any allergies?  How long have you had acne?  Do you pick/pop the acne or your blemishes in general?  Do you do other sorts of treatments for your skin?

Murad contains something called salicylic acid, which is a very common acne treatment and can be wonderfully effective for many skin problems.  However, you need to make sure you're treating your skin the way YOU need to treat it - so if salicylic acid is too strong you should be careful using it.  You should always make sure you're using proper moisturizer even if you have oily, acne prone skin.  You can make acne worse by skipping moisturizer!  On the flip side, many acne sufferers don't feel that salicylic acid is helpful for acne - for example, hormonal acne generally doesn't respond much to topical treatments.

So the more information you can provide the more we'll be able to give better tailored information!

LaraLiu

(0) Hearts

Thanks for your advise!!

I have combination/sensitive skin, which basically means that my T-zone tends to get extremely oily throughout the day. I often use Korean skin care products because they use natural ingredient and they work pretty well on me. I do use sunscreen, right now Im using Neutrogena Pure and Free Liquid for my face. I've been suffering the forehead acne for almost a year now, before that, my skin was completely fine. I hate to admit it but yeah I have a REALLY BAD HABIT to pick/pop the acne in general using my fingers. Several times I tried to stop myself from touching the pimples but...Idk why urgh! :smileysad:

So I'm new to the US for almost 1 year and yeah that was the exact time when my pimples got worse. Idk if it was because of the environmental changing or my college pressure or not...Because I've never been suffered this problem before, even when I was in my puberty. So in short, I have a pretty good skin when I was in my country. :smileysad:

For my skin care routine, it usually goes like this: foam cleanser> Toner> Mask> Moisturizer > Facial Mist > Treatment. I don't often exfoliate my skin, only every 2 weeks I think because I'm scared that it would harm my skin (I have sensitive and very thin skin)... I always wash my face 2 times a day, using Innisfree Jeju Volcanic Pore cleansing foam and I think this cleanser does a pretty good job in making my skin clean, it also has clusters that are gently exfoliant.

For toner, I'm using Thayer - Witch Hazel Toner-Rose Petal and I think it's ok. Nothing so special about it. 

For moisturizer, I'm using The Face Shop Chia Seed Oil - Free moisturizer (a Korean brand), it works pretty well on me and this is my 2nd bottle already. 

For mask, I use 2 types of mask: wash-off (Skin food) and facial mask sheet (The face shop). I used to use wash-off mask 2 times a week but then someone told me that using wash-off masks could bring out more oil to my skin, so I only use it 1/week now. I tried The Body shop Tea Tree before but there was nothing special about it. And for the mask sheet, I use it 2 times a week and they work great as extra-moisturizer. 

Murad works great for me in the first couple weeks, it doesn't dry out my forehead but I notice that my forehead tends to get more oily after hours. I'm a college student and I'm on my summer holiday so right now I'm not really going outside a lot. I don't usually wear make up cause I don't want to make my skin worse. :smileysad:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 28 replies
  • 46 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • chupi
    • emmaclaire
    • lylysa
    • ChicDabbler
    • ladymeag
    • crayzeeRN