SydBristow

Flaking Skin from Retinol

Hi! I have a great skin care routine that has been working extremely well for my dry skin. However, I am using retinol once a week and at times my skin is sort of flaky/peeling. I am not sure how to minimize how this looks, I have some gentle scrubs that I use but don't want to get too aggressive and irritate my face. I have to use powder foundation as opposed to liquid because powder hides it better. Now that I think about it, some weeks I use AHAs mid-week and I think I actually have less peeling then...should I make sure to always include the AHA exfoliation mid-week when I'm using retinol? Would that make that much of a difference? Would love any thoughts from the experts or others who have experienced the same. Thanks! :smileyhappy:
sunny0501

Re: Flaking Skin from Retinol

The purpose of an AHA is actually to peel so that could be part of the problem. You didn't say what strength retinol you were using but perhaps you could step back?

SydBristow

Thanks sunny! I'm using Skinceuticals 0.5, and yes I've backed off. I've been using it for a while and will start back up after New Years.

The retinol and AHAs haven't caused flaking before, it may be the drop in temperatures and humidity here. Or, my skin just needs a little break. :smileyhappy:

beautylovingirl

Did you try the resurface texturizer from Skinceuticals? It will probably take care of the rest of your flaking and I would follow with the B5 from Skinceuticals as well.

SydBristow

Some new developments. The flaking continues 2-3 days after using retinol. I went to the place I purchased it to see if they had any advice. It could be related to the change in season, less humidity etc. 

It was suggested that I give retinol a one month break. It was also suggested that I use enzymes on days I don't use AHAs as they can help remove the flaking skin. I have a sample I tried tonight, then I moisturized with pure argan oil afterwards. 

This is the one I think I'll get:

http://www.sephora.com/fruit-enzyme-exfoliator-P257005

So, the battle continues....

DTalksAll

My addiction to skincare all began a few years ago when I started using the skinceuticals 0.5 LOL! I started peeling an nothing I owned worked. So off to Sephora I went & I got a lot of Philosophy & Clinique products pushed on me. After a few months I wasn't impressed, so I started doing research & it all went down hill from there :smileytongue: 

Fruit enzymes are great for removing dead cells without scrubbing your skin. I like to use the AmorePacific Treatment Enzyme Peel. In the winter when I'm using retinol the most, I use it almost every morning. 

You still might not be moisturizing enough. Are you using just the argan oil, or are you mixing it with a moisturizer? If your regular moisturizer was working well before using retinol, it might not be hydrating enough now. I find I need to use a heavier moisturizer when using retinol. If I have time before bed, I'll sometimes apply a really thick layer, like a mask, and tissue off the remains after about a 1/2 hour. 

SydBristow

Thanks dannyc! I was looking at AmorePacific as well, but I was lucky to get the Jurlique sample and it seems to work!

Ive been using oils on some nights, maracuja or argan, because I really need it. My moisturizers are already for dry to very dry skin, I didn't know what else to do besides go to oils but layering then blotting might be a good idea. :smileyhappy: is it okay to mix the oil with a moisturizer? 

In any case I'm off the retinol for a bit, just to get my skin cleared up. But one positive is finding out about the enzymes, very cool!

Dannyc, do you also use AHAs at all? Just wondering how you cycle the retinol, acids and enzymes. :smileyhappy:

DTalksAll

I've been playing with retinol for a few years now. After my initial dryness scare, I tried it again by slowly introducing it to nightly use. It takes me about a month to get to nightly use & during this period I use the DDG A/B pads on off nights. Once I get to nightly, I'll use the A/B pads 3x-4x a week with the retinol over it. But I use the PTR that has some squalane in it to help moisturize. 

I also use a AHA/BHA cleanser a few times a week at night. It took me a while to figure out what my skin can & can't tolerate. 

I would definitely mix a few drops of oil into your moisturizer. OR... pat oil on your dry areas, let it sink in, then apply moisturizer. What moisturizer are you using? 

SydBristow

It's one that has worked very well until recently.

http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?keyword=CLINIQUE%20Super%20Rescue%20Antioxidant%20N...

I haven't tried mixing the moisturizer with oil but I will! :smileyhappy:

If you wouldn't mind sharing what that first month looks like as you acclimate I would love to know.

DTalksAll

Since I've figured out what my skin can/can't handle, I rarely get dry patches now. Again, this is from 6 years of experimenting. I do break out a bit when I first start off, but I switch moisturizers when using retinol. 

I've never had good luck with clinique & hate that they don't list their ingredients. The only product I've ever liked is the moisture surge (pink gel) for when I was getting microderm done. I would wear it like a mask & then tissue off. I only used it because I had a deluxe sample and it had simple ingredients, but I've ever repurchased. 

Try going to sephora and getting some samples of other moisturizers. The Korres Greek Sleeping facial is supposed to be awesome. http://www.sephora.com/greek-yoghurt-advanced-nourishing-sleeping-facial-P379063?skuId=1522606  I've only tried the wild rose & vita c sleeping facial, and really like it. 

I've heard good things about Origins, but never tried it http://www.sephora.com/high-potency-night-a-mins-mineral-enriched-renewal-cream-P297520?skuId=137572...

I'm fine with OH Sheer transformation, but I think it's because of the other products I use. When I first start using retinol I mix a drop of PTR oilless oil with my moisturizer. 

I'm also a huge fan of the caudalie vinoperfect serum for AM use, it's really hydrating! http://www.sephora.com/vinoperfect-radiance-serum-P94421?skuId=823427

SydBristow

Dannyc you are so great to be sharing all if this helpful information! I really appreciate it! :smileyhappy:

DTalksAll

I've been there! It's how my addiction started... a dry patch from retinol, walk into Sephora for help... next thing I know I'm buying a new skincare item every other week :smileytongue: 

If you ever have questions or want to vent... just PM me! I get it, retinol sucks, but it's amazing at the same time. 

SydBristow

I am playing with using oil and regular moisturizer at the same time. It seems weird to me because so many moisturizers labeled "oil free."  Now I'm adding oil! I've done it for a few days and it seems ok, but should I be watching for breaking out? 

DTalksAll

Well if you're already using an oil, & it hasn't broken you out then adding it to your moisturize won't either. Oil doesn't necessarily cause breakouts. For me products heavy in oil tend to give me more milia, so I try to stay away from them. Like some people, I get a reaction to Argan Oil. If I forget to wipe my face or wash my hands after I apply it to my hair I get red & blotchy. I don't think I've ever broken out from oil though, but everyone's skin is different. I like the PTR oilless oil because it's oil free, but still hydrates. But you already use the Argan Oil, so you shouldn't have any issues adding it to your moisturizer. 

SydBristow

I wanted to thank everyone who posted such helpful advice!  I added back a night of AHAs, I also am using the Dr. Dennis Gross alpha beta pads a bit more, plus I have MAC toner (has a bit of salicylic acid in it I think) that I'm using sometimes too (obviously not all of this at once).  In addition, I am doing double layers at times of my moisturizer - one coat then when it's absorbed a second coat.  It all seems to be helping a lot!

Really appreciate your posts, THANK YOU for helping me get through that flaking skin situation!!  :smileyhappy:

DTalksAll

And how's the flaking? Is it starting to subside? Are you planning on using the retinol more often then just 1x a week? 

SydBristow

dannyc, it seems to be gone for now and I will be vigilant with the new routine in hopes of minimizing it. Retinol only once a week for now until I'm sure my skin can take it. :smileyhappy: Thanks for all of your help!!

DTalksAll

I'm glad it's calmed down! 

SydBristow

Sorry my reply didn't show up with paragraph breaks, for some reason input from my tablet doesn't seem to recognize them, so it's just one big paragraph.
SydBristow

Thank you all so much for the replies! It was kind of an embarrassing day at work, it was quite obvious my skin was peeling and I got self-conscious. But on the bright side, I guess it means the retinol is working? :smileyhappy: dannyc, thank you very much for the product recommendations and links, I will be looking into those! lylysa, the products I'm using are ironically two of the only four items I rely on that I don't actually get at Sephora. (I WISH Sephora carried SkinCeuticals!!). My retinol is not an Rx, it's SkinCeuticals .5 retinol that I use once a week, putting it on at night and wasting it off in the morning. The AHA is Derma E Evenly Radiant Overnight Peel, again applying at night and washing off in the morning. I try to keep the two treatments two days away from each other. My power foundation is Bare Minerals, but I love your suggestions and will look into them! I have Smashbox primer which I could use more, I just was finding primers kind of suffocated my skin but at least for peeling days it would be worth it. Love the primer suggestions too! I have some products to look at! jamielove, hahaha thanks! It's from her series Alias which I love. One of my favorite scenes is her going through the airport with that wig, the pilot episode. Nicohr, I actually have the Alpha/Beta pads that I could try to see if it helps with the peeling, just I did find they were quite drying as you noted. Dry skin is such a pain! I will look at the Philosophy product you mentioned. I am very grateful for the input and advice! Curious if the peeling is something that I will be seeing on a regular basis? On the upside, my regimen has made a big difference in my skin. I took a picture of my eyes before, I had very distinct wrinkles on my forehead and around my eyes. They have not gone away but it's significantly improved, I am certainly happy. :smileyhappy: Just need to fix the peeling skin now! :smileyhappy:
beautylovingirl

Something else that would help would be the Hydrating B5 moisturizer.Hydrating B5 gel.png

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 32 replies
  • 50 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • lylysa
    • beautylovingirl
    • jaimelove
    • SydBristow
    • Nicrohr