lreagan

Flakiness under my eyes when applying makeup

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

First off, I have super oily/acne prone skin, but I think my undereye area is very dry. Everything seems fine until I start applying my makeup. I'm not sure if my moisturizer is pilling (even though I let it sink in for 10 minutes) or if it's dead skin flaking off. I have been using Ole Henricksen's Truth Is in the Eyes gel for the last week and a half or so and haven't noticed any difference. I bought it because I figured it would help get rid of the dead skin. Since that hasn't helped, I'm starting to think it's my moisturizer. I took a picture of one eye after I applied my face primer and then started patting on Benefit's Lemon Aid around my eyes.

flakyeye.JPG

(sorry it's sideways; I guess it didn't transfer correctly from my phone to the computer)

This is my skincare routine. I have no idea how to tell if it's my moisturizer flaking or if two different products don't agree with each other.

1. Boscia Clear Complexion Cleanser

2. Murad Clarifying Toner

3. Murad Skin Perfecting Lotion for Oily/Blemish Prone Skin (I do not use this around the eye area)

4. Ole Henriksen Truth Is in the Eyes all around the eye area

*I take a break here and let the moisturizer and eye gel sink in*

5. Peter Thomas Roth Power K eye cream

*Another break here to let the eye cream absorb*

6. Miracle Skin Transformer all over my face as a primer

Then my foundation, concealer, etc. go on. I start noticing the flakes when I'm rubbing the Miracle Skin Transformer into my skin. Then it all goes downhill when I start putting more products on my eyes, like Lemon Aid or Shadow Insurance or concealer.

Anyone have any ideas for what's causing this? I'm really starting to think it's my skincare products pilling because when I cleansed this morning I used the rough side of a cotton square to lightly exfoliate the eye area and it didn't help.

beautylovingirl

Re: Flakiness under my eyes when applying makeup

(0) Hearts

Your using too much product under your eyes.

brookiechook

Do you use lemon-ade below the eye too? I though it was an eyeshadow primer? I have it but was never pleased with the effect...

Sometimes I get pilling from too many products reacting on one another. Also some dryness from SPF from time to time.

lreagan

(0) Hearts

It's advertised as both a color corrector and a primer. From the product description:

What it is:
A color-correcting eyelid primer.

What it does:
Benefit Lemon Aid is a miracle-working soft-yellow correcting cream that instantly hides redness and discoloration on your eyelids.

I ended up exchanging it for Ooh La Lift and Eye Bright today anyway since it wasn't helping. I got it for my discoloration, not the priming effects.

lylysa

Lemon-Ade is a neutralizer/corrector, not a primer. I've worked with Benefit artists and reps and they do state that if you try to layer shadow over Lemon-Ade, it will crease.

If anyone needs a product that can prime the lid and under eye area while also neutralizing redness/discoloration without the worry of creasing, try Urban Decay's Primer Potion in Eden. It's a matte finish, nude shade with a yellow undertone.

lreagan

(0) Hearts

That's so odd because the packaging for Lemon Aid says it's a primer. When I used it, I didn't put any shadow on top of it, but I distinctly remember reading the insert and it saying it can be worn alone or as a primer for eyeshadow.

Nonetheless, I ended up returning it today because it wasn't working for my discoloration. I exchanged it for Ooh La Lift and Eye Bright, so we'll see how that goes.

Hannico

(0) Hearts

Hey Ireagan, I had this problem, and if it IS due to skin issues (as mine was) I ended up having my doctor write a prescription.  She gave me a small tube of gel-like stuff that was alright to apply around my super sensitive eyes before I went to bed.  But here's to hoping it's just an issue with the products and not your skin!

lreagan

(0) Hearts

Oh no, I hope it's not my skin! I only notice it when I'm doing my makeup so I figured it was due to the products I was using. Thanks for letting me know what happened with yours!

jellymonster

(0) Hearts

Yes I think you just might be using to much under the eyes. For under the eyes minimize it down to maybe one good under eye cream. This has also happened to me with products containing silicone. Also, try patting your concealer if you already don't do that into your undereye rather than wiping it in or using a brush! Hm, see how those work for you! 

lreagan

(0) Hearts

Do you know of any good under eye creams and/or face primers that don't contain silicone? I've been looking up ingredients in the samples of stuff I have lying around but it looks like all of them have some sort of silicone derivative.

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Korres lines are oil based and usually silicone free, same for primers. Ole Henriksen line usually have a hefty dose of silicone.

As for eye creams, Fresh Lotus seems to have no "-icone" in it and is very refreshing. Caudalie usually don't use silicone and their eye creams don't have silicone and are great. I like Origins products, especially eye cream, and they don't *feel* like they have silicone in it, but you should dig around for ingredients list and check.

Also, you should be using one eye cream at a time. If you really want to use both, use one in the morning and one at night.

lreagan

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the suggestions! I am using one eye cream at a time. The Ole Henriksen is a a treatment gel. From the description: "A peel concentrate for the under eye area that offers a natural, gentle antidote to dark circles and fine lines." It's supposed to get rid of dead skin under your eyes. I put my regular eye cream on top of that for moisture since the Ole Henriksen gel doesn't moisturize.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Try to use the Ole gel every other night, that's how I use mine. That way you're not bombarding your skin with TOO much treatment. I'm glad to hear you give your products time to absorb, how much do you use?

For eye creams, you should use a small amount about the size of those long sprinkles. :smileyhappy:

lreagan

(0) Hearts

I give my moisturizer/eye creams about 10 minutes to absorb. Do you think I should wait longer? I have a lightweight moisturizer since it's for oily skin.

Right now I'm going through my eye cream samples I got from Sephora, so I just dab my ring finger in the product and pat on each eye. I do use a little bit more because my dark circles extend up the bridge of my nose and onto my eyelid, so I apply the cream all over the orbital bone.

Thanks!

janinebt

Hi Ireagan,

I am almost certain this is due to the fact that a few products aren't agreeing with one another. I would say modify your routine to go something like this:

1. Boscia Clear Complexion Cleanser

2. Murad Clarifying Toner (only use this during the evenings)

3. Ole Henriksen Truth Is in the Eyes all around the eye area

4. Murad Skin Perfecting Lotion for Oily/Blemish Prone Skin (I do not use this around the eye area)

I'd say try a different primer, to see if that does the trick. Then apply your concealer, foundation, etc. If you are still noticing flakes I'd say leave All About Eyes for evenings too. 

Whimsically yours,
Janine
lylysa

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I'm with Janine, try another primer, since the Miracle Skin product is where you notice the pilling, I think it may be too hydrating or too encompassing of a product to layer over the moisturizer and eye cream you use.

Try to stick with a product that is just a primer, rather than a 5-in-1 product like the MS.

lreagan

(0) Hearts

I skipped the primer this morning and noticed the pilling was a lot better, though not completely gone. Someone above mentioned they had products with silicone pill on them, and the eye cream I'm currently using has silicone in it so I may still be getting a little bit of pilling from that. I'm going to look into the Korres primers that someone else suggested since they do not have silicone. Thanks for all your help!

lreagan

(0) Hearts

Thank you! I'll try only using the toner in the evenings.

I don't think the Truth Is in the Eyes is the culprit because I bought it to help with the flakiness and it hasn't made it worse or better.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 6 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • jellymonster
    • janinebt
    • lylysa
    • ChicDabbler
    • Hannico
    • beautylovingirl