loisbatson

Face Oils

I am starting to try to incorporate oil into my skin care routine. When should I apply it, after moisturizer or night cream? Do I skip moisturizer? I'm just not sure.

btmod2

Re: Face Oils

(0) Hearts

Hi loisbatson,

I like to do my any sort of face oil before my nightly moisturizer. If my skin is not feeling particularly dry that evening, I will use my facial oil and not use any additional moisturizer on top of it. If my skin is still feeling dry after the oil, I will wait for the oil to absorb for about 5 minutes and then apply a small amount of moisturizer to the areas that still feel dry.

My favorite facial oil right now is the Tarte Maracuja Oil. It offers just enough moisture for my combination skin and is free of any synethic fragrances and parabens. Also, I've noticed a difference in how bright my skin looks. :smileyhappy:

Best,

Randee

nikki

(0) Hearts

Is it true that oil can pass through moisturizers, but moisturizers can't pass through oils?

comfyrock

comfyrock

So many different answers from the All-Knowing Google.  Based on what I've read, it depends on what type of emulsion is used in your moisturizer.

From vivawoman:

Because water cannot penetrate oil, hence, in the order of product application, you should apply any water-based lotion or serum under your facial oil. If you use an oil-based moisturizer, then it’s fine to apply it after your facial oil.

nikki

(0) Hearts

Alright, I'll have to read my ingredients again, since I'm not sure which ones are oil based and which ones are water based. 

evno

(0) Hearts

It's true that you have to apply your skincare from lightest/liquid-est texture to thickest, because thicker moisturizers, like oils, can block lighter moisturizers/treatments from absorbing into your skin. 

nikki

(0) Hearts

I knew that rule, but oils are lighter than moisturizers, so I wasn't sure.

evno

There are so many ways you can use facial oils! The long and short of it is that you have to experiment and see what works for you (your skin type, daily needs, time/convenience).

Cleansing: The oil cleansing method (OCM) is basically massaging your face with a lot of oil and taking it off with a steamy, warm washcloth. Or, you can just buy a cleansing oil and use it in place of your cleanser. There are also shower/body oils.

Emulsion: Some people mix their facial oils with a bit of water when they apply it, so it will apply more sheerly and absorb faster.

Serum: Lighter, drier oils, like rose hip oil, absorb pretty quickly and with little residue, so you an use it as a light moisturizer that has great benefits.

Moisturizer: Some people just replace their moisturizer with a facial oil, like the Tarte maracuja oil or Josie Maran argan oil. 

Moisture booster: If the oil is too heavy or too much for your skin, you can just mix in a drop or two into your normal moisturizer for added moisture/richness.

Protectant: To seal in moisture and protect your skin from the elements, you can apply it last in your skincare regime to seal in moisture and protect your skin from the cold. 

Other uses: There are oils with pretty potent benefits, like tea tree oil, which can be used as a natural zit-zapper. Those you only need as spot treatments. You can also use oils as hair masks or conditioner.

It really all depends. What oil are you looking at, and what is your skin type?

loisbatson

(0) Hearts

I have the Josie Maran argan oil and have mainly been using it on my elbows and a drop to add shine to my hair.  Can this be added to my BB Cream for daytime and my night cream before bed or do I need to get a different oil?

evno

(0) Hearts

You should do a patch test on your face first, to test for sensitivity or acne reactions. If it seems okay, then you can definitely mix it into your night cream. I haven't tried oils and BB creams, but I've heard that some people put a little oil into their foundation for a luminous finish. Experiment a bit, and see if it works. 

You don't need to get a different oil if the JM one turns out to work for you. :smileyhappy:

latinadiva

(0) Hearts

Are there any oils that you would say could safely be massaged on the lips? I say safely because obviously anyone could argue the point of ingestion and I have no clue what is okay or not okay! I have normally drier lips but with the weather being in the teens or lower everyday where I live, which is not the norm for us (at least not for this long of a period of time) so I have been trying to find something to do because chap stick is just noooot cutting it.

daeidre

Natural oils you'd use for cooking or that can be found at a health food store would probably be the best option. I know avocado oil is supposed to be super moisturising but there are tons of others. Otherwise upgrading your lip balm would be a good idea especially for on the go. I love the Jack Black ones and the Bite Lip Mask, or for something more accessible, Eucerin makes a great one too.

latinadiva

Hmm, I have Coconut Oil at home that I was using for a period of time so I'll have to try that. I feel like I've tried it all...regular chap sticks, Carmex, medicated Blistex, lanolin, the Fresh sugar scrub, ELF Lip scrub, vaseline, Aquaphor, Burts Bees, blah blah blah. I don't know how else to explain it but that it feels like my lips shed, and yes I realize how gross that sounds. I can rub my lips and rub dead skin off. Normally, I just kind of tolerate it but this weather is killing me. I'll have to try the coconut oil!

daeidre

(0) Hearts

I know exactly what you mean. I have a habit of rubbing my lips and they do the same thing. I've tried bucket loads of lip balms and have found that only the two I mentioned above and Elizabeth Arden's Eight Hour Cream (not the lip version, the actual cream) help at all. Try and use a really thick, ultra moisturising balm/cream overnight (I use the Bite mask for this), then your lips will be in better condition to brave the cold the next day.

latinadiva

(0) Hearts

I'll have to look into it. I have the Jack Black one too. I'll try loading it on. I wonder if I'm just not putting on enough. I have an issue even with super thick lotions that I hate putting on too much because I don't like feeling greasy lol so maybe I'm just subconsciously doing the same with lip products. I also have eczema on my body and one met someone who said she had eczema on her body and on her lips and I immediately thought that was probably the case for me. I'll try slathering it on...god help me that I don't get issues with that too lol

staringatstars

I use my toner and then apply one dot of oil to both of my cheeks and my forehead (the places where I have dry skin).  I let the oil penetrate and soak into the skin and then put on my moisturizer.  I hope this helps!

mberteig

(0) Hearts

What I do is wash my face, then apply a few drops of oil to the palm of my hand, rub my hands together, then press them on my face to apply the oil  I let it sink in for a minute, then go ahead with the rest of my routine, be it moisturizer or other treatments.

bfuller

Hello loisbatson, and welcome to BeautyTalk!

In answer to your question from my personal standpoint, I use oil at nighttime with a few drops (3-5) mixed in with my moisturizer.  Once warmer weather comes, I'll cut back to about 2-3 drops instead.

Whatever you decide, keep us updated and let us know how it's working for you!

latinadiva

To my understanding, and I'm just getting into face oils myself, is that you can either apply them as your moisturizer or put a few drops of it into your moisturizer. I tend to just use it as my moisturizer. Are you trying cleansing oils too?? I just got one and I looooove how it takes my make up off, but I feel like I have no idea if I then have to wash my face with another cleanser or do I just use the cleansing oil? My face feels so soft and moist when I'm done, I sometimes feel like I just want to put on a moisturizer and be done but again I don't know if I'm supposed to be washing any residue off.

comfyrock

I checked the How to Use tabs on on the Boscia, Clinique, and Josie Maran cleansing oils.  Looks like you just rinse with water, pat dry, and follow with your serum/moisturizer.  No additional cleanser needed.  Is your product on Sephora and does it have a How to Use tab?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 12 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • btmod2
    • nikki
    • mberteig
    • latinadiva
    • evno
    • staringatstars