EXPERT SKINCARE Q&A

Sephoraadmin

EXPERT SKINCARE Q&A

[ Edited ]

This thread is now closed. Thank you for everyone who participated! If your question did not get answered, Ole and Dr. Gross will do their best to post more responses later in the week. Also to those who asked questions, look out for a little gift of appreciation from the brands!

Beautiful skin is just a question away.  Visit this thread on January 25 between 12pm-3pm PST to participate in our live skincare Q&A with leading New York City dermatologist Dr. Dennis Gross and celebrity skincare expert Ole Henriksen. Ask them anything—from how to manage acne to which moisturizer is best for your skin type. On January 25, ask your questions in the thread below and our experts will answer them, in real-time. 

Be sure to "subscribe" to this post to be notified via email when one of your questions is answered. (Check the “Subscriptions" box on the right side of the post page).

Ole H.jpg

Ole Henriksen: 12 – 1:30pm PST
Learn more about Ole Henriksen> http://seph.me/zWdGd6           

Dr. Gross.jpg 

Dr. Dennis Gross: 1:30-3:00pm PST

Learn more about  Dr. Dennis Gross> http://seph.me/xLRvIB

mandy0711

Re: EXPERT SKINCARE Q&A

(0) Hearts

What is the best product to get rid of dark/acne spots?

mimicc

(0) Hearts

Hi

I am 22 and have had bad acne since I was 18, I still have acne but not as much i used to and it let me with a lot of dark marks on my face. Because of this,  Is there any i can use to clear my dark marks and my acne?Can you please help?

komal

(0) Hearts

I get bumps/tiny plugs clogged in my skin that look like blackheads and then they turn into pimples and leave red scars. What I can I do to prevent/get rid of these little plugs and also get rid of the red acne marks?

katyphelps

Treatment for jawline hormonal acne?

(0) Hearts

Hello! I am 24 with normal skin that is overall clear and happy. However, I switched oral contraceptives a year ago and my jawline rebelled by erupting in angry, red pimples. I got off that brand of birth control and I exercise regularly, eat a balanced diet with lots of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, and stay well hydrated. I'm also generally a low-stress individual, but my jawline cystic acne persists. I'm not willing to change prescriptions since I like everything else about the contraceptive, so do you have any acne treatment advice? Are there cleansers and topical treatments you recommend for localized hormonal acne breakouts? I usually get 1-2 zits at a time and as soon as they fade away (with time and benzoyl peroxide), more appear. Thank you!

kimdesigns

(0) Hearts

Dr. Gross,

I am extremely fond of your extra strength alpha beta peel and I can’t begin to express, how much I appreciate this product’s results! I must inquire what treatment you suggest for expression lines around the mouth?

almd

(0) Hearts

Please advice on a safe and effective skincare regimen during pregnancy.What products besides Retinol should one avoid.

Thank you

lawig4usc

(0) Hearts

Would love to ask Ole, I love your products, I look for paraben-free, products and love that yours fit that bill and are high quality and effective!  I'm in my mid-40's and battling drying skin/aging but also breakouts still.  In order to address the drying, I seem to breakout more, and when I address the blemish, I'm more dry.  I've tried your Truth Revealed SPF15 and like it, but its not hydrating enough.  Any suggestions at all for me??? Thank you so much!

olehenriksen

(0) Hearts

lawig4usc wrote:

Would love to ask Ole, I love your products, I look for paraben-free, products and love that yours fit that bill and are high quality and effective!  I'm in my mid-40's and battling drying skin/aging but also breakouts still.  In order to address the drying, I seem to breakout more, and when I address the blemish, I'm more dry.  I've tried your Truth Revealed SPF15 and like it, but its not hydrating enough.  Any suggestions at all for me??? Thank you so much!

Dear lawig4usc,

Having suffered from cystic acne when I was younger, I know how frustrating this can be. My philosophy on treating acneic skin is to treat it in the most soothing manner. When treating acne, it is most important to comfort and soothe the skin so you don't encounter dry skin as a result of treating your acne. You might be using blemish products that are too harsh. Try the aloe vera deep cleanser, it is a very gentle gel cleanser that works to calm, heal and nourish with aloe vera, chamomile and comfrey extracts. You might also wish to try the blemish attack daily defense gel (to gently treat breakouts) underneath the vitamin plus moisturizer which works to bring balance to the skin / oil production. Acneic skin is also best treated from the inside-out with a diet rich in healthy fats like those found in fish, almonds and avocados. Try to stay clear from sugary foods and when you do consume natural sugar, you will always want to balance the blood sugar with a protein so as not to spike oil production.

If you feel that your skin isn't getting enough moisture from the truth revealed super creme on it's own, I recommend adding a treatment serum underneath - you can certainly use the blemish attack daily defense gel. Treatment serums boost hydration - and maintaining balanced hydration is key when treating breakouts.

Keep smiling - with faith, a healthy diet and great skin care products, I promise, you will see your skin transform.

Cheers,

Ole

shellyrc

(0) Hearts

HELP! I have really bad hormonal acne and acne scars due to my pregnancy and I don't know what to do so I cover up with mineral make up. How can I get rid of it and have smoother looking skin without using any harsh products? and is it bad to sleep with mineral make up on? Thank you so much for your time!

jenn2980

(0) Hearts

Hello :smileyhappy: I'm 31 years old and get between 1-4 hormone caused pimples once a month. They are 99% of the time on my cheaks and usually on my left cheak. This is also the area I have old acne scaring and discoloration, the worst side being my left. I have no other "acne" problems and have combination skin (the skin on my cheeks is normal/dry) So, my question regarding this has a few parts - can there be a corrolation between the scaring and that being where the blemishes show up? I've heard that nothing topical can be done to prevent hormone induced blemishes, is this true? When I get them, they seem imposable to get rid of and last for about 3 weeks - I've tried TONS fo different products with different active ingredients and nothing seems to even diminish them at all. Any tips/advise/products recomended to help them go away faster? This one is sort of out there, but I read a long time ago that using pillow cases with a high thread count can help blemishes from showing up on your cheaks, any validity to that? Lastly, is there any product that can truely dimishes acne scaring/discoloration? Thank you!

nhoover

(0) Hearts
I have little bumps below my eye area. I think its called milia. How can i get rid of it and get smoother skin? I have oily/combo skin and acne prone as well. Your advice will be greatly appreciated!
speckledkiwi

(0) Hearts

How much sunscreen/mineral foundation/anything with SPF do we need to apply in order to get the actual protection level that the product touts? I'm sure that the answer varies between products, so... does this mean that it's actually impossible to know whether you're getting the SPF protection for which you paid? 

olehenriksen

(0) Hearts

speckledkiwi wrote:

How much sunscreen/mineral foundation/anything with SPF do we need to apply in order to get the actual protection level that the product touts? I'm sure that the answer varies between products, so... does this mean that it's actually impossible to know whether you're getting the SPF protection for which you paid? 

Dear Speckledkiwi,
That is a great question! SPF stands for - Sun protection facor, and it really refers to how well a sunscreen protects from UVB rays. UVB rays are what cause sunburn and also responsible for skin cancer. (You also need to be cautious of UVA rays as well - these impact the aging process. Make sure when selecting a sunscreen the package reads "broad spectrum" protection - this refers to both UVA and UVB rays) Now to answer your question as to how much to apply? You want to make sure that you're getting full coverage (think of painting a white wall a vibrant blue - you want to make sure there are no white spots) - in other words, apply generously and make sure you dont miss any spots.  Keep in mind - if you're going to be in the sun for an extended period of time - you want to be sure to re-apply. The higher the SPF the longer you can stay out in the sun before having to re-apply. I like to reapply every hour or so when on vacation - in my favorite spot, Italy!
Cheers,
Ole
neeharika

(0) Hearts

OHoo!! I am so excited to actually get a beauty advice from my favorite expert!!! I am so having trouble knowing my skin type. It's oily as well as dry in some parts. My skin gets really oily during summer and so i started used oily skin regimen, but lately my skin is getting dry aroung my nose & around mouth. But it is still oily on my cheeks & forehead.

Please please please give me some advice on which regimen should I choose from?

olehenriksen

(0) Hearts

neeharika wrote:

OHoo!! I am so excited to actually get a beauty advice from my favorite expert!!! I am so having trouble knowing my skin type. It's oily as well as dry in some parts. My skin gets really oily during summer and so i started used oily skin regimen, but lately my skin is getting dry aroung my nose & around mouth. But it is still oily on my cheeks & forehead.

Please please please give me some advice on which regimen should I choose from?

Dear aab1042,

I'm so sorry to hear that you are dealing with such a difficult scar! When treating a scar, it's always important to keep in mind that you want to use non-agressive treatments and products. The fraxel laser and physical exfoliants could be a risky thing to use when treating a scar, as it might make matters worse and slow the healing process. Scars need comforting and soothing treatment to fully heal. I recommend using my all purpose aloe vera gel because it contains naturally healing steroids - you can use this as a mask treatment by applying a thick layer all over your skin, especially the scar, OR you can also use this a moisturizer at night time. It's very important to use sunblock on a daily basis to protect the scar tissue from further damage - sun damage can hinder the healing process. I recommend using a light weight, broad-spectrum sunblock like my protect the truth SPF 50+.

Nurture me would be a great creme to use on top of your protect the truth to further soothe the skin and the scar tissue. I also recommend treating the skin with truth serum collagen booster. Truth serum contains Vitamin C which works to strengthen collagen and add plumpness to the skin (which will help heal the appearance of the scar. As a part of your diet, I recommend that you intake a lot of antioxidants from fruits and vegetables to strengthen the tissue as well as eating foods that are rich in Omega 3, 6, 9 like fish and nuts. Taking a Vitamin C supplement will strengthen the collagen from the inside out.

Hold tight - scars can take some time to heal fully. I know that with a balanced diet and great skin care, you are sure to see your skin turn around.

Cheers,

Ole

nadineg

(0) Hearts
I've always been curious about "layering" products. Does applying a serum and then a moisturizer lessen the effects and SPF of the moisturizer?
drdennisgross

(0) Hearts

nadineg wrote:
I've always been curious about "layering" products. Does applying a serum and then a moisturizer lessen the effects and SPF of the moisturizer?

Hi Nadine,

There is no danger to layering treatments.  As mentioned in an earlier response, Healthy beautiful skin does not come from 1 product or ingredient.  You must incorporate 4 steps into your everyday routine.  I formulated my products to be multi-tasking because I know everyone is busy but you should always; Cleanse, Treat, Moisturize & Protect.

nadineg

Thank you for answering my question Dr. Gross! 

sophiax27

(0) Hearts

What can I do to get rid of hormonal acne?

bd0313

(0) Hearts

I have atopic dermatitis/eczema that has really blown up this season, and spread to my face (upper forehead and sides of face). Generally my face is oily-combination, and I have very large pores. At the tender age of 24, I still get acne :smileysad:  So I now find myself having two extremities of skin conditions on my face and am not quite sure how to handle it. I've been trying to moisturize, but I have noticed small whiteheads coming in, and spreading.... But, on the other hand, I definitely think my acne regime is further drying out my skin. I just can't win!  What kind of regime do you recommend? SOS. Thank-you!

mollyjw

(0) Hearts

I have very dry skin in small patches around my mouth and chin that seems to come and go throughout the winter. I have pretty sensitive skin and allergies to most perfumes and scented items. 1. How can I prevent this from happening and 2. How do I fix it once it has?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 172 replies
  • 72 hearts
  • 85 in conversation
    • Sephoraadmin
    • almd
    • antie96
    • suema
    • desertrosa
    • bianca1223