Sephoraadmin

EXPERT SKINCARE Q&A

[ Edited ]

This thread is now closed. Thank you for everyone who participated! If your question did not get answered, Ole and Dr. Gross will do their best to post more responses later in the week. Also to those who asked questions, look out for a little gift of appreciation from the brands!

Beautiful skin is just a question away.  Visit this thread on January 25 between 12pm-3pm PST to participate in our live skincare Q&A with leading New York City dermatologist Dr. Dennis Gross and celebrity skincare expert Ole Henriksen. Ask them anything—from how to manage acne to which moisturizer is best for your skin type. On January 25, ask your questions in the thread below and our experts will answer them, in real-time. 

Be sure to "subscribe" to this post to be notified via email when one of your questions is answered. (Check the “Subscriptions" box on the right side of the post page).

Ole H.jpg

Ole Henriksen: 12 – 1:30pm PST
Learn more about Ole Henriksen> http://seph.me/zWdGd6           

Dr. Gross.jpg 

Dr. Dennis Gross: 1:30-3:00pm PST

Learn more about  Dr. Dennis Gross> http://seph.me/xLRvIB

gurushroomoo

Re: EXPERT SKINCARE Q&A

Hello Ole! I have looked at your products several times. I am an avid ingredient watcher, and I notice many of your products contain lavendar. I am curious about your take on the ingredient. I have read studies which say that lavendar is very bad in skincare. It can actually hinder collagen production. It says it is a fragrant plant oil that is very irritating and again, potentially damaging. Can you please share your view? Thx.

olehenriksen

(0) Hearts

gurushroomoo wrote:

Hello Ole! I have looked at your products several times. I am an avid ingredient watcher, and I notice many of your products contain lavendar. I am curious about your take on the ingredient. I have read studies which say that lavendar is very bad in skincare. It can actually hinder collagen production. It says it is a fragrant plant oil that is very irritating and again, potentially damaging. Can you please share your view? Thx.

Dear gurushroomo,

I'm a big fan of lavender. I find it to be incredibly calming. It contains superior anti-inflammatory properties as well as anti-wrinkle benefits. For these reasons, I have chosen to incorporate lavender into many of my products. It is included in my blemish care line for the anti-inflammatory properties and in my body line for it's calmative ability.

Cheers,

Ole

bbface21

Acne Scar Removal?

(0) Hearts

I am in my early 30's and have combination/non-oily type of skin. Recently I have acne problems due to hormonal fluctuation. What products would you recommand for acne scars removal? I prefer products that does not thin out the skin like hydroquinone does. Thanks!

snaphappygirl

(0) Hearts

I am 56 and really struggle with finding a product for my sensitive skin that will keep it moisturized. It seems that by the end of the day that I am a dry flakey mess. Help!! I hear over and over to not use a product that has oil in it because it will irritate my skin. What should I use?

Thank you for taking the time to answer questions for us today.

drdennisgross

(0) Hearts

snaphappygirl wrote:

I am 56 and really struggle with finding a product for my sensitive skin that will keep it moisturized. It seems that by the end of the day that I am a dry flakey mess. Help!! I hear over and over to not use a product that has oil in it because it will irritate my skin. What should I use?

Thank you for taking the time to answer questions for us today.

Hi, I would recomend the Extra Strength Version of the Alpha Beta Peel to you also.  It has higher concentrations of alpha & beta hydroxy acids than the original and deliver accelerated results. It will microexfoliate gently and reduce the flaking you are experiencing-your skin will be beautiful all day long. There is no irritation or downtown with my peel and the immediate results will give you a radiant & glowing complexion.  Its perfect for sensitive skin.  In a consumer study 86% of participants reported increase hydration in their skin,

The peel does not replace a moisturizer, so be sure to still apply something afterwards. The Hydra-Pure™ Intense Moisture Cream is very hydrating.

~Dr. Dennis Gross

snaphappygirl

Thank you Dr. Gross! I am off to shop.:smileyhappy:

mimimia9

(0) Hearts

Hi! I am 23 years old with combination skin (mostly only oily in the t-zone) and have only occasional breakouts. I do, however, breakout whenever I use any kind of face wash. I have tried numerous different products over the years and have not found one that has worked for me. Instead of feeling refreshed after washing my face I always end up more greasy than I started.  After years of experimenting I now only wash my face with warm water. Do you have any suggestions for me? Id really love to find a great face wash that doesnt break me out!

reddhedgrl

(0) Hearts
The big 40 is just around the corner...in the past year, I have noticed flesh colored bumps/moles on my cheek and forehead..my 6 year old calls them my 'witchy warts' any idea what they are and how I can make them go away? thet are not discolored, and my primary says he is not concerned...he may not be, but I sure am! They are not cute! Can they be removed..not sure which is worse, bump or scars. Thank you! MJ
olehenriksen

(0) Hearts

reddhedgrl wrote:
The big 40 is just around the corner...in the past year, I have noticed flesh colored bumps/moles on my cheek and forehead..my 6 year old calls them my 'witchy warts' any idea what they are and how I can make them go away? thet are not discolored, and my primary says he is not concerned...he may not be, but I sure am! They are not cute! Can they be removed..not sure which is worse, bump or scars. Thank you! MJ

Dear reddhedgrl,

From the description you're giving me, It sounds like you have skin tags - which are harmless and very common. This would be something you can have removed very easily at the dermatologist without experiencing scars.

Cheers,

Ole

phxcpa

(0) Hearts

My favorite moisturizer was discontinued, so I'm looking for a new one. My skin is hypersensitive. I can't tolerate any kind of SPF or fragrance in face products. My skin type is otherwise normal (not excessively oily or dry). Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you!!

olehenriksen

[ Edited ]

phxcpa wrote:

My favorite moisturizer was discontinued, so I'm looking for a new one. My skin is hypersensitive. I can't tolerate any kind of SPF or fragrance in face products. My skin type is otherwise normal (not excessively oily or dry). Any thoughts or suggestions? Thank you!!

Hi,

For hypersensitive skin, it would be best to focus on a formulation that is rich in essential fats and nourishing oils like my nurture me creme: it contains chamomile extract and evening primrose oil to calm and soothe along with Vitamins A, C, E and  wheat germ to hydrate, nourish and calm the skin.

Even though you mentioned that your skin is sensitive to SPF, you may wish to try the herbal day creme. It contains an SPF of 15, but is also rich in essential fats to hydrate and nourish your skin - it might be the perfect balance for you! Sephora offers free samples, that way you can try the product to make sure you like it before you purchase it.

Best wishes!

MacGruber42

(0) Hearts

I have had troublesome acne since i was 12, and I'm now 19. I've tried Proactiv, over-the-counter products, and I've recently started Murad. I also get comments about the darkness under my eyes. Any suggestions?

miniktty

(0) Hearts

Is there any product that can help with Keratosis pilaris?

heathranch

(0) Hearts

Hello, to answer your question, I use a soap that is from Simone France Skin care. It is the best soap ever. I am 43yrs old and have tried everything. This soap is for all skin type and  it is amazing, I use to have Keratosis pilaris and I tried the soap on my arms and it took them away.I have NONE on my arms. I have been using Simone for almost a year now. The soap is $12.00 and it last awhile. If you follow the link, it will take you to there site and have you answer 13 questions and then recommand what is best for you. I started with the sandwhich. Answer the questions and put that Wendy  sent you at the end. Use code X439 and you will get 20% off. Even if it's just the soap you want to try. Trust me, you will not be disappointed. The link is simonefrance.com/analysis.php  

If you try it, please let me know how you liked it, because I know you won't be disappointed and you will have the nicest glow and no KP on your arms. 

drdennisgross

(0) Hearts

miniktty wrote:

Is there any product that can help with Keratosis pilaris?

Yes, there is a product that can help with Kerastosis Pilaris (bumpy chicken skin)--the Alpha Beta® Daily Body Peel.

It's an excellent solution and will smooth, firms, and enrich skin in 2 simple steps. The presoaked towelettes contain a precise dose of Alpha and Beta® Hydroxy Acids, Vitamins, and Antioxidants that promote skin health and radiance. My research shows this exfoliating treatment improves hydration, texture, and elasticity. It also  spurs collagen growth with a special blend of Green Tea Extract, Antioxidants, and Vitamins A, C, and E.

I think you will love the results.

Dr. Dennis Gross

momathome747

(0) Hearts

What are the best products to treat and conceal puffy dark bags under the eyes?  Regular concealer hide the color but do nothing to disguise the puffiness.  Thank you

drdennisgross

(0) Hearts

momathome747 wrote:

What are the best products to treat and conceal puffy dark bags under the eyes?  Regular concealer hide the color but do nothing to disguise the puffiness.  Thank you

Sometimes dark circles are the result of hyperpigmentation, and leaves areas of the skin that are permanently darker than the rest of the face due to sun damage, hormonal fluctuations, or genetics.   Other things that can contribute to dark circles are lack of sleep or extreme stress, so be sure to get your rest. The skin around the eye area is also prone to a phenomenon called solar elastosis – the breakdown of collagen and elasticity. Because skin in this area is so thin, there is a paradoxal need for a specially formulated cream that is both strong yet gentle.

An eye cream I would recommend is Lift & Lighten. I formulated it with light diffusers that will brighten the eye area.  When layered over a serum (like Hydra-Pure® Firming Serum), this combination will make dark circles virtually disappear, while active ingredients work towards a long-term solution.

Vitamin D is an important anti-oxidant from nature that is necessary for one’s overall hearth and stimulates the building of collagen when applied on the under eye area. Try Active Vitamin D Serum-Oil too.

~Dr. Dennis Gross

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P78325&categoryId=5668

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P184114&categoryId=B70

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P302300&categoryId=B70

localana

(0) Hearts

I have really dark bags under my eyes.  I drink plenty of water and even get my "beauty Sleep" as always.  What products do you recommend???

drdennisgross

localana wrote:

I have really dark bags under my eyes.  I drink plenty of water and even get my "beauty Sleep" as always.  What products do you recommend???

Because the skin under and around the eyes is especially thin, any damage to this region shows up faster than anywhere else on the face and is particularly noticeable.  Sunglasses serve as a physical barrier to block out the UV rays and help to prevent premature signs of aging.  When selecting a pair of sunglasses remember – the bigger, the better.

If you are looking for an eye cream-I recommend my Lift & Lighten Eye Cream, which is specifically formulated with light diffusers that will further brighten the eye area.  When layered over a serum (Hydra-Pure® Firming Serum), this combination will make dark circles virtually disappear, while active ingredients work towards a long-term solution.

Vitamin D is an important anti-oxidant from nature that is necessary for one’s overall hearth and stimulates the building of collagen when applied on the under eye area. Vitamin D also replenishes the skin with moisture, boasts elasticity, and creates luminosity. Try Active Vitamin D Serum-Oil too.

You are right, Lack of sleep, or extreme stress can put your body into flight or fight mode, which means your brain, like other vital organs, leaches every single molecule of oxygen it can from the blood, so a darker more deoxygenated blood flows through our veins to the other areas of the body. This dark blood is most visible in the transparent skin under our eyes and is what causes the appearance of those discolored rings.  When the skin is getting less than optimum fuel, it can become dull and pale with dark under-eye circles.

I’m Glad you are getting your “beauty sleep”-keep it up. The most important thing we can do to our skin is to get more sleep as it helps with immunity and regeneration.

Dr. Dennis Gross

eg3466

(0) Hearts

I have a question about a skincare routine or product that I can use to help with acne. I feel like over the years I have tried everything to clear up my face, chest, and back from having acne and cutting down on the oiliness that I tend to experience, but nothing really seems to work very well for me. I prefer to use natural products because I believe in using skin care products that are not harmful to the body. Is there anything that you would suggest that I could do modify in my skincare routine or specific products that would improve my complexion?

michellewalker

(0) Hearts

i have sensitive skin, that is dry in the winter, but still is prone to breakouts if aggravated. at 26, i am concerned with both controlling my breakouts, managing new wrinkles, and preventing further premature aging.

what skincare regimen would you recommend (on somewhat of a budget -- i can't afford facials or other professional treatments)? and is there a brand or type of makeup that would best suit my skin type (presently, i'm using bare minerals, but in the winter the loose powder seems to age me.)

any advice would be much appreciated.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 172 replies
  • 72 hearts
  • 85 in conversation
    • Sephoraadmin
    • almd
    • antie96
    • suema
    • desertrosa