Sephoraadmin

EXPERT SKINCARE Q&A

[ Edited ]

This thread is now closed. Thank you for everyone who participated! If your question did not get answered, Ole and Dr. Gross will do their best to post more responses later in the week. Also to those who asked questions, look out for a little gift of appreciation from the brands!

Beautiful skin is just a question away.  Visit this thread on January 25 between 12pm-3pm PST to participate in our live skincare Q&A with leading New York City dermatologist Dr. Dennis Gross and celebrity skincare expert Ole Henriksen. Ask them anything—from how to manage acne to which moisturizer is best for your skin type. On January 25, ask your questions in the thread below and our experts will answer them, in real-time. 

Be sure to "subscribe" to this post to be notified via email when one of your questions is answered. (Check the “Subscriptions" box on the right side of the post page).

Ole H.jpg

Ole Henriksen: 12 – 1:30pm PST
Learn more about Ole Henriksen> http://seph.me/zWdGd6           

Dr. Gross.jpg 

Dr. Dennis Gross: 1:30-3:00pm PST

Learn more about  Dr. Dennis Gross> http://seph.me/xLRvIB

drdennisgross

Re: EXPERT SKINCARE Q&A

kimdesigns wrote:

Dr. Gross,

I am extremely fond of your extra strength alpha beta peel and I can’t begin to express, how much I appreciate this product’s results! I must inquire what treatment do you suggest for expression lines around the mouth?

I am so pleased to hear that you are seeing results with the Extra Strength Alpha Beta® Peel.  Regarding expression lines around the mouth area, you should see a dermtologist in person as this may require a cosmetic procedure.

~Dr. Dennis Gross

jikwee

(0) Hearts

I'm a physician but still have a question for Dr. Gross about my skin.  It's combination and prone to breakouts but I still need a moisturizer.  The problem is that every moisturizer I've used (including oil-free and salicylic acid containing) cause whiteheads that lead to breakouts.  Any suggestions?

drdennisgross

(0) Hearts

jikwee wrote:

I'm a physician but still have a question for Dr. Gross about my skin.  It's combination and prone to breakouts but I still need a moisturizer.  The problem is that every moisturizer I've used (including oil-free and salicylic acid containing) cause whiteheads that lead to breakouts.  Any suggestions?

Hi Jikwee,

I would recommend  trying the Hydra-Pure® Oil-Free Moisture.   Not only is it anti-aging and ultra-light but I formulated it to defend against breakouts. It never leaves skin feeling oily and absorbs quickly.  Its fragrance and oil-free, and ideal for oily, combination skin like yours.  It protects, repairs, and reverses the signs of aging with powerful antioxidants, peptides, and contains a Chelating Complex, which is a blend of detoxifying compounds that will protect your skin from harmful elements.  You can use it AM or PM on clean, dry skin.

~Dr. Dennis Gross

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P140620&categoryId=C14816

jikwee

(0) Hearts

Thanks Dr. Gross!

gurushroomoo

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

jikwee wrote:

YES!! Excellent question. Please, what do we use to moisturize? Or, better yet, do we HAVE to? Some say oily skin types dont need to moisturize. But, I personally have to use harsh products like AHA, BHA, Retin A, and it makes me dry. So, I have to use/find something. My skin is horrible from lack of moisture, and probably making breakouts worse. I just cannot find a good moisturizer. THANKS.

drdennisgross

(0) Hearts

I wanted to share a tip: Always Remove Makeup before Bed

This is the #1 Mistake Women Make.

Hitting the sheets “made up” can clog pores and oil glands, which is almost a surefire ticket to blemishes and irritation. In addition, once the makeup becomes impacted in pores, it can actually stretch them out and make them appear larger (which is a part of aging -- once your collagen levels decline, the pore does not snap back as easily once it has been enlarged!)

Try EZ4U 4-in-1 Facial Treatments or All in One Cleanser with Toner

~~Dr. Dennis Gross

parisnite

(0) Hearts

Dr. Obagi's ZO Skin Health really works especially the Radical Night Repair Plus Anti-Aging Formula.  You can go at your own pace with the treatment.  After using this product, some of my acne scar diminished as well as sun spots.  However, I don't like the redness.  What other products work in this similar fashion without the redness and the dryness?  Please advise.

handmeafish

(0) Hearts

I was recently diagnosed with Sweets Disease, and I have a terrible red spot on my face, that is very itchy and painful.

What are some products that I could use to soothe and cover up this spot. My doctor said using make-up was not a problem. 

rebeccal

(0) Hearts

Are there any products that can treat/prevent acne caused by horomonal contraceptives? Benzoyl Peroxide makes me break out in a rash, but I can tolerate salicylic acid. So far everything I've tried doesn't work.

drdennisgross

(0) Hearts

rebeccal wrote:

Are there any products that can treat/prevent acne caused by horomonal contraceptives? Benzoyl Peroxide makes me break out in a rash, but I can tolerate salicylic acid. So far everything I've tried doesn't work.

The Alpha Beta® Peel is great for all skin types & ages and will give you immediate results.  Its perfect for sensitive skin, is hypoallergenic and will calm and sooth.  There is no irritation or downtown, so you can treat/prevent acne and you won't break out or experience redness.  It has five different acids that will help exfoliate dead skin cells, boost collagen production, and clear out pores. Daily, gentle chemical exfoliation with these alpha and beta hydroxy acids will help to prevent the dead skin cells which can make the problem worse.

To eliminate acne I tell all my patients we need to do the following:
1-Kill Bacteria
2-Clear Pores
3-Maintain skin's balance

I formulated the Trifix™ Acne Clearing Lotion to do all of these things.  It treats acne, heals blemishes, repairs scarring, reduces redness, and provides antioxidants, peptides and collagen boosters to prevent fine lines and collagen breakdown.  I formulated it with Bisabolol and marine botanicals so it soothes and protects the skin. 

~ Dr. Dennis Gross

Alpha Beta® Peel: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P42787&categoryId=C14816

Trifix™ Acne Clearing Lotion: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P291440&categoryId=RVP

rebeccal

(0) Hearts

I am 27 and for the last several years I have had redness in the part of my face from the corner of my nose to the corner of my mouth (not sure what that's called, I don't think it is a "laugh line"). It is not irritated or uncomfortable, and I don't have rosacea or otherwise sensitive skin. I have never been able to find a product to get rid of it, although I had a facial once where they used a redness reducing serum and for about a day my skin looked great. Do you know of any products that would help? I have oily, acne-prone skin.

drdennisgross

(0) Hearts

rebeccal wrote:

I am 27 and for the last several years I have had redness in the part of my face from the corner of my nose to the corner of my mouth (not sure what that's called, I don't think it is a "laugh line"). It is not irritated or uncomfortable, and I don't have rosacea or otherwise sensitive skin. I have never been able to find a product to get rid of it, although I had a facial once where they used a redness reducing serum and for about a day my skin looked great. Do you know of any products that would help? I have oily, acne-prone skin.

Hi rebeccal,

This may be a rash or an inflammatory condition, so I would recommend consulting a dermatologist who can examine you in person.

~Dr. Dennis Gross

antie96

(0) Hearts

shoul i be using eyecream im 15 yrs old plz n thx

antie96

(0) Hearts

i suffer from really dark knewws n elbows but i have a very embarassing situation is suffer from strech marks on my knees i had them since i was 8 n im 15 now :smileysad: their white n i feel so insecure showing my legs pkease hel me dr dennis gross with my hyperpigmentation n strech marks plz n thx

too2blue

(0) Hearts

Hi, I am 19 years old with combination-oily skin. I do not suffer from acne, but my skin is rarely free from pimples and/or blackheads even though I take such good care of it. Is it because of what i am using? Are there any products that you can recommend for me? Even if I do not touch my face, when the pimples go away, there are always dark spots left behind. My blackheads are always forever here and my pores are very visible. What can I do to achieve that "perfect," smooth, clear skin? 

desertrosa

(0) Hearts

I am 30, and have acne prone skin is their a night cream you recommend me that wont break me out , but helps with anti aging? I notice  a lot of night creams that are anti aging tend to be rich.

olehenriksen

(0) Hearts

desertrosa wrote:

I am 30, and have acne prone skin is their a night cream you recommend me that wont break me out , but helps with anti aging? I notice  a lot of night creams that are anti aging tend to be rich.

Dear desertrosa,

I suffered from acne as a young adult myself, so I know how frustrating acneic skin can be! You might want to try an exfoliating anti-aging treatment like my invigorating night gel underneath a light-weight PM moisturizer like my sheer transformation. The invigorating night gel works well to treat acne and also contains AHA's (alpha hydroxy acids) to increase cell turnover and help with anti-aging. 

I specifically created these products to be light-weight and oil-free, yet very effective at treating the skin. You may experience some breakouts in the beginning weeks, but don't worry, this is just your skin purging what is underneath the surface. 

Cheers,

Ole

lenuskababuska

(0) Hearts

Hello Mr. Henriksen! I was just wondering if the Walnut Scrub that is for all skin types is safe to use on people who have acne? I love the scrub myself(I tend to have drier skin)but I want to recommend it to a friend who has acne breakouts often.
Thank you! You are an inspiration! 

702aprilpls2

(0) Hearts

I am desperate to find something to help with dark circles. It constantly looks like I am wearing brown eyeshadow all around my eyes. I do have some middle eastern in me and I know that may have a bit to do with it. I have tried every single concealer recommended to me. I would like to use something daily as a treatment to help me. HELP PLEASE!!

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

Hi,

I'm 23 with combo skin, some small acne scar and dark spots, large pores, and wrinkle under the eyes when I smile. I'm past the teenage acne stage and not at the hardcore anti-aging age yet. So right now is the in-between age. What is a good skincare regimen? should I look for even skintone? anti-aging/wrinkle? tighten pores?

Do I need serum under moisturizers? or any/all of the array of the masks available?

melissaphora

I sweat on my face really badly.  (due to florida heat and my severe anxiety.)  I can't wear foundation due to this, I sweat right through it.  I was wondering if you know of any type of product that could help, or if seeing a dermatologist could help?  No one has been able to give me any advice so far and I've felt very helpless and alone with this issue.  Thank you.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 172 replies
  • 72 hearts
  • 85 in conversation
    • Sephoraadmin
    • almd
    • antie96
    • suema
    • desertrosa
    • bianca1223